Vaseline Targa fix. Yes or no?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
So I wanted to bring up another 'issue' while its fresh in my mind. (Vaseline related)

I've noticed a lot of people saying to use Vaseline on the little rubber o-rings when installing fuel injectors.

Would that not be the case then? Considering vast majority say it degrades rubber and what not.

Also, if you shouldn't use that when installing fuel injectors. What do you use? If anything at all?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Toyota says to use gasoline. I believe injector o-rings are made of Viton. If so, they are resistant to pretty much any non-polar material including Vaseline.

The targa seals, and other body seals are not made of Viton and can be susceptible to a lot of materials.

Both JJ and I have used Silicon spray to keep our seals in good condition. Mine are the originals and still good.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Vaseline isn't going to hurt anything that would normally be in contact with oil or gasoline. It should also not hurt anything that would be in contact with brake fluid, power steering fluid, or transmission fluid either, but it may not be so okay to have in contact with those fluids.

There are silicone sprays which are made specifically to keep rubber seals in good shape. I bought some to keep my brand new targa seals nice. I really should install those. Got a bit of a puddle in my lap Monday...

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ahhh very cool. Thank you for the info!

The time is nearing where I should really get some new injectors sooner than later. One step at a time I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

so gasoline huh. Good to know!

The Wurth rubber 'care' or what have you, should be here tomorrow.
I am waiting on an oil pan to arrive from a member on here hopefully within the week (car is down right now, finally decided to fix leaky oil pan :/ )

But it's been raining like crazy here, so I will take a wet rag to get all the surface junk off said targa seals, let that dry, then boom, test out that $20.00 worth of rubber care lol

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
The original owner of my car used vasoline and I feel like it made the targa seals a little worse for the wear. I don't have leaks, but some spots where it was caked on look like small divots have come out of the rubber. It also doesn't feel as nice in those spots even though I have cleaned them up.

When I had an S2000 they recommended wiping the convertible top seals down with Shin-Etsu silicone grease. I bought a tube for what seemed like way too much money but never used it. Your troubles got me thinking so I started looking for reviews of the product and it looks like people love the Shin-Etsu. So I might try it on the Supra this weekend.

Something that always cracked me up is the box that grease came in says "For Industrial Use Only" on it :p

Hopefully the Wurth does you well!

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Shin-Etsu grease is badass stuff. Highly recommend it for many things (for instance greasing window tracks as it doesn't cake and doesn't attract dirt like other greases).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's pretty well known in the Miata world. As the cars are convertibles, there's a lot of rubber seals that rub against each other, and the window tracks and felts are known for getting gummed up and breaking the regulator. You can use the grease on the felts and it allows the glass to slip past easily without a huge mess or attracting tons of dirt.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
My targa has been leaking again lately specifically in the corner behind me and the corner in front of the passenger, leaking on their lap. I noticed that in those areas I put silicone in between the drip rail and the targa and it seems to be blocking the water off at those points, so I am going to cut out the silicone in those spots and if that doesn't work then I am going to take it apart again and see where I need to seal up the leaks. What I really need to fix is my hatch weather stripping because when I lift the hatch some water drips out from the panel trim piece on the hatch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doat;1953630 said:
My targa has been leaking again lately specifically in the corner behind me and the corner in front of the passenger, leaking on their lap. I noticed that in those areas I put silicone in between the drip rail and the targa and it seems to be blocking the water off at those points, so I am going to cut out the silicone in those spots and if that doesn't work then I am going to take it apart again and see where I need to seal up the leaks. What I really need to fix is my hatch weather stripping because when I lift the hatch some water drips out from the panel trim piece on the hatch.

I'm assuming you mean you put the silicone in the drip rail on the outside? Yeah, you essential make a dam that forces the water in if it's blocked. I know the front is supposed to be clear so it can drain forward, I can't remember if the rear is blocked or not (I think it is though).

Try removing and putting the top back on and follow the tightening order.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprajztwenty;1951789 said:
sounds like its worth a shot...if theyre leaking then what harm could it really do? i saw a mk3 that a guy siliconed the targa on, so as long as you dont do that i dont see an issue.

i know atf will also swell up rubber pretty good...i kinda like the vaseline idea though, you can leave it on for a day or 2 and wipe it off whereas the atf will prob make a mess and wont leave a good enough layer to do anything.

im interested in where this ends up going...i might try it on my driverside door front window seal (triangle spot where the mirror mounts) i get a lot of wind noise, no water but it bugs the shit out of me in the winter time.
Mine was Siliconed on :p

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Poodles;1953632 said:
I'm assuming you mean you put the silicone in the drip rail on the outside? Yeah, you essential make a dam that forces the water in if it's blocked. I know the front is supposed to be clear so it can drain forward, I can't remember if the rear is blocked or not (I think it is though).

Try removing and putting the top back on and follow the tightening order.
Yea I plan on clearing out the silicone in the drip rail and then reinstalling the targa.