Vaseline Targa fix. Yes or no?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay. So I have done some Google searching, some supramania searching, supra forum searching. All of it.

All of it also is about a 50/50 split on it being good or bad.

My car leaks when it rains, pours down the front passenger side.

Not trying to be the more than typical cheap mkiii owner and find the cheap easy way out, but unfortunately getting laid off wasn't on my list of things to do to properly get the car in order.

That being said, I was wondering if anybody has any SOLID input on rubbing Vaseline on the targa seals to 'swell' or fluff them up so to say to help stop some leakage.
Some say it eats away at the rubber faster, some say they've done it for years no problems.
I'm not in the position right now to make my seals worse as it has been starting to rain like crazy here.

Again, I'd like to buy new seals and do it properly, but until I get on my feet again and find a job, I can't be shelling out the money for it.

p.s. If anybody has any other solutions such as: http://www.autogeek.net/wuruca.html?productid=wuruca&channelid=PGRAB&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=PriceGrabber&utm_campaign=CSE

or anything else that may work, please let me know.

It truly is greatly appreciated and I hope to hear some feedback

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
sounds like its worth a shot...if theyre leaking then what harm could it really do? i saw a mk3 that a guy siliconed the targa on, so as long as you dont do that i dont see an issue.

i know atf will also swell up rubber pretty good...i kinda like the vaseline idea though, you can leave it on for a day or 2 and wipe it off whereas the atf will prob make a mess and wont leave a good enough layer to do anything.

im interested in where this ends up going...i might try it on my driverside door front window seal (triangle spot where the mirror mounts) i get a lot of wind noise, no water but it bugs the shit out of me in the winter time.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
First, determine where/why it's leaking. This will determine exactly what you can and can't do about it.

For example, mine (which have been siliconed :p )were leaking under the seal itself, not between the targa and roof seals. I reset that, and if I torque the roof down enough to get the silicone to behave, I can keep my lap dry during the drive. (It'll sure let me know if I didn't get it just right though.)

I have new seals, but have survived an extremely wet month or so without looking like I wet my pants. Waiting for some nice weather to change the seals themselves.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, well I bit the bullet. Vaseline just seems like a no go.

I ended up going with the Wurth Rubber Care. Seems to do well, and it's silicone free as well.

We shall see.

Also, I will update this and let everyone know how it goes when I do it

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
3p141592654;1951847 said:
I find silicone lube in a spray can once in a while helps. I would not use anything like Vaseline because it will create a mess and attract dirt.

I'll second that. When putting the top back on I'd first wipe the seals down to remove dirt (very important) then spray them. It was the only form of care they got. After 23 years they still looked and worked like new. Same with the other rubber. Course, this is for preservation only...it's not gonna fix what is too far gone.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Generally the leak has nothing to do with the rubber seals...

It's the seal of the drip rail to the top. They use 2 adhesive strips in there to do the sealing, and if you manhandle the drip rail at all (like when you take the top off), you break the old seal and water pours into the internal trim panel and pools. It then pours out on your lap when you stop :(

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Whenever I take my targa top off I make sure the car is sitting on perfectly level ground. Then I take a damp cloth and wipe the seals down, both the seals on the targa top as well as on the car, THEN I put the top on. This way The seal is as best it can possibly be. That's what it took for me to realize why my targa was leaking pretty much just like yours. Now it doesn't drip at all, unless it rains for more than 2 days straight. Then the aged seals finally start letting water in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
7M4EVR;1951971 said:
Lol what does perfectly level ground have to do with anything? Some kind of good luck charm for ya?

Actually, it makes sure the chassis isn't flexing (yes, it flexes quite a lot).

Though it's pointless if you follow the correct order of tightening the bolts...

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Just makes sure the body/frame of the car is straight. That way the targa top seals as best as possible. Worked for me, really well too.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Oh I will definitely give an update once I receive the product.

Again, I would love to just get new seals and do the whole job correctly, but that's just gonna have to wait heh

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Driver's side front MUST be tightened before passenger side front. The passenger side has a slider in it to allow for movement, the driver's side doesn't so it works as the alignment point.

Do it in reverse on uneven ground and you're likely to strip the driver's side.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Poodles, do you recommend getting the OEM adhesive strips for the rails (if they're even available still), or will a careful application of a good quality 3M weather-strip adhesive along the back of the rails accomplish the same thing?