V12 Engine Swap

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
It's a Japan only engine so you'd have to get a front clip off the car it came in (can't remember the model, starts with a "C" IIRC. Crown or something like that). I have only read about it being swapped into a Supra once. The Supra was a MKIV and had to be VERY HEAVILY modified for the engine to fit and work well. The swap was done in Japan by a well-respected tuning company there (again, can't remember the name). I do remember that the guy who did it was nicknamed "Smokey". hth

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
The motor comes out of a Toyota Century

Frankenstien;1241369 said:
It's a Japan only engine so you'd have to get a front clip off the car it came in (can't remember the model, starts with a "C" IIRC. Crown or something like that). I have only read about it being swapped into a Supra once. The Supra was a MKIV and had to be VERY HEAVILY modified for the engine to fit and work well. The swap was done in Japan by a well-respected tuning company there (again, can't remember the name). I do remember that the guy who did it was nicknamed "Smokey". hth

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Yes, it came from a Toyota Century as stated above and the Jap company that did the MKIV swap was Top Secret of Japan...

The Century was sold in the Japan and Russia only.. They are hard to come by cause there weren't many produced... Fitment into an MKIII is going to be a lot of work.. To my knowledge, it was not been done. Just the Top Secret MKIV and there is a guy in Aust. that is putting one into a MA61 (MKII) chassis..

Just be warned that fitment is going to be very tight front to back (its longer then a 7M and JZ engines) and you will have to Fab a oil pan for it as the only came with front sump pans.... On top of that, you will have to make an adapter if you want to run a manual trans and there will be a lot of wiring if you plan on using the stock EMS cause toyota did it like BMW with using two 6 cylinder EMS's to run the engine.. This ofcourse doesn't apply if your going to be using a full standalone to run the engine...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A friend has one I ran a tape over it when I was considering a swap, while it can be done with a Mk3 chassis it's NOT going to be cheap,easy or pretty
(all of the above can be fixed with copius amounts of $$$$$ though)

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
Also the guys from top secret had to fab a bellhousing and use a flywheel from a getrag because they wanted to use the getrag other the tranny on it. the intercooler was relocated to the rear of the car and ducts were put in place of the quarter glass so that the intercooler would get fresh air and they had to elongate the nose just to fit the motor in. basically you had better have pretty deep pockets... especially if you want to get your dick kicked in by the machine shop. ALOT of fabrication will be in your future for this swap.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IJ.;1241413 said:
A friend has one I ran a tape over it when I was considering a swap, while it can be done with a Mk3 chassis it's NOT going to be cheap,easy or pretty
(all of the above can be fixed with copius amounts of $$$$$ though)
I lol'd at this. How are you going to fix high cost with money? :D

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
Dylan JZ;1243290 said:
rare and neat, yet expensive.. nagata-san seemed disappointed with that motor in the end IIRC..

suprarx7nut;1243341 said:
276hp. Weak.

Too much money for small gain.

Still very cool though. Do it anyways! :)

Wow Dylan. I'm up on Smokey Nagata, but I didn't see that DVD with the V12 swapped MK4. I'm kind of surprised about the 276hp though. Ya'll told me somn new! IJ you're a big fan of big power/big engine swaps! I ain't mad at u bro! Me personally, I prefer reliability, low cost and good power w/potential, but with equal or lesser weight...But a V12?? It HAS TO SOUND GOOD!!

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
they sound great, but its not what I expected it to sound like.. I thought it was going to sound like one of the previous v12's I had been previewed to, it seemed rather different though. could have been the videos, yet they were decent quality.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
There are a number of things that are going to effect its sound.

Too many people think that if they have a V12 that its going to sound like a Ferrari or Lambo or something and this is not necessarily try. Engine rev, exhaust design and exhaust length are all major factors in the sound you get from them. Muffle placement (distance from the engine) alone has a major effect on the sound you get..

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well yeah thats obvious, i suppose i should have just said it was a nice change from other v12s of varying design that i have had the pleasure of hearing. regardless.. each engine has a unique sound.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tbcmorris;1260636 said:
Also in considering v12 sound...compresion, bore stroke riring order will effect it

in considering a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder sound.. compression, bore, stroke and firing order must not effect it. :squint: