UTI: Universal Technical Institute

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yeah I figured 91% placement rate, keywords "in the industry" so they say, is a little outrageous, ok maybe wayyy outrageous from what I'm hearing lol! Only thing is, I learn better hands on, its just my thing, people are different, when I have multiple vehicles to work on instead of just my own I feel like I would get a much better understanding and experience, my 2 cents. I am a very quick learner and tend to make my way of doing things once I get it down, it's what works best for me, I'm sure some of you are the same way. I deffinately will check out those books, tonight! Have you heard of a lot of people getting good jobs that way, I'm deffinately interested. Thanks again Donnie!

Avondale, Arizona is the newest and biggest facility to my understanding. I'm sure the program isn't too different on how they run things, but the instructors ARE different, and I really haven't heard any bad things about the campus in Avondale, AZ which I'm going to attend. There are going to be good and bad instructors at any school you attend. I'm sure some of the reviews are like the news now a days. There are good things in the news but the things that really get the hype are the bad things, most likely bad reviews over power the good. So you people with bad news don't have a single GOOD thing to say about the school?

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
*james*;1439645 said:
Yeah I figured 91% placement rate, keywords "in the industry" so they say, is a little outrageous, ok maybe wayyy outrageous from what I'm hearing lol! Only thing is, I learn better hands on, its just my thing, people are different, when I have multiple vehicles to work on instead of just my own I feel like I would get a much better understanding and experience, my 2 cents. I am a very quick learner and tend to make my way of doing things once I get it down, it's what works best for me, I'm sure some of you are the same way. I deffinately will check out those books, tonight! Have you heard of a lot of people getting good jobs that way, I'm deffinately interested. Thanks again Donnie!

Avondale, Arizona is the newest and biggest facility to my understanding. I'm sure the program isn't too different on how they run things, but the instructors ARE different, and I really haven't heard any bad things about the campus in Avondale, AZ which I'm going to attend. There are going to be good and bad instructors at any school you attend. I'm sure some of the reviews are like the news now a days. There are good things in the news but the things that really get the hype are the bad things, most likely bad reviews over power the good. So you people with bad news don't have a single GOOD thing to say about the school?

Sure I have. I mean, think of it this way. All of the Master Techs and Journeymen you see bouncing around Dealers, Local Shops, etc. How many of them do you think went to UTI, Lincoln Tech or Wyotech? Not many. :icon_surp

Once again though, not a problem. I'm about as blunt and honest of a person you'll ever meet, it's in my nature to give the skinny in situations like this.

"So you people with bad news don't have a single GOOD thing to say about the school?"

Yep. Tossing my car on the Dyno was fun. And some of the Instructors are genuinely passionate about their jobs, cars in general, and imparting their knowledge and experience unto their students.

Beyond that, nope. Even TPAT was ruined for me, when a Toyota Instructor pointed out how "ignorant" I was, and that I was obviously thinking of an MR-2, when I was trying to talk about MKII Poopras with the guy. Same guy who tried convincing me that switching to MSD Coil Packs on my Saturn would add five to ten horses at the wheel. :3d_frown:

Last edited:

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
hmm well I'll keep in mind some of these things, and I'm going to check out the ASE books as well.
So the worst thing about it was the instructors, I've heard this many times. I might try and talk to a few instructors when I go to Chicago in Febuary, and I might be going to AZ christmas break. Not for sure yet since most of my money is going into my car!

trboflyr

Jan 6, 2007
Orange county, CA
I work at a dealership and know quiet a few guys and a girl that went to UTI that work there with me, every employer I have interviewed with liked UTI. I recommend to add Ford Fact to your program, yes it costs more but you'll be thankfull you did later when you can really diagnose a car properly compared to only taking the basic UTI program. And The way the classes are set up you'll be able to past most of the ase's easily once you graduate. All the test are very similar to the ase's which make it allot easier.

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
*james*;1439730 said:
hmm well I'll keep in mind some of these things, and I'm going to check out the ASE books as well.
So the worst thing about it was the instructors, I've heard this many times. I might try and talk to a few instructors when I go to Chicago in Febuary, and I might be going to AZ christmas break. Not for sure yet since most of my money is going into my car!

Hahahaha, I should rephrase my thoughts on the instructors. 85% of them are lazy, incompetent morons. 15% are guys you would want to have as an uncle, drinking buddy or neighbor. And are the type of people you just want to rack the brains of until they've taught you everything they know. :icon_bigg

When scoping out the "Chicago" Glendale Heights Campus (It's located off I-355 and Army Trail Road, a fair distance from the actual city.) Try to make it for the AM session. If you can, go search out Mr. Kneerad, Mr. K and Mr. Potter. Specifically Mr. Potter. Great guys, and great teachers. Although Mr. K will bash your skull in with a Steering rack if you so much as look at him funny. lofl.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you find the ASE books at a decent price. (even if you choose to go to UTI, you'll find the books invaluable when prepping to take the tests.)

trboflyr;1439815 said:
I work at a dealership and know quiet a few guys and a girl that went to UTI that work there with me, every employer I have interviewed with liked UTI. I recommend to add Ford Fact to your program, yes it costs more but you'll be thankfull you did later when you can really diagnose a car properly compared to only taking the basic UTI program. And The way the classes are set up you'll be able to past most of the ase's easily once you graduate. All the test are very similar to the ase's which make it allot easier.

That isn't very common. I've worked at multiple different dealers and Automotive outfits. And the most former UTI students any of them has had employed while I was there, was Toyota/Scion. Which only had three, INCLUDING me.

I do however, agree on either FACT or TPAT being overall attractive classes. Although you can still get the same experience, and factory Certs from a community college Ford or Toyota class- At a savings of about 95%. (Remember, you have to enroll for the whole shebang to get into one of these course @ UTI.)

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Ok thanks. I'll write those names down. Yeah books would be handy for studying, and if some of the instructors aren't teaching what I want to learn I can just look at the books and study. They mentioned something about the Ford Fact course and said that it was only fords, so I think I told them hell with that lol! I'll ask about it again though that you guys say it's worth it. Since you mentioned a girl and I think someone else did earlier in the post I thought I'd ask, any good looking ladies at UTI?

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
*james*;1440203 said:
Ok thanks. I'll write those names down. Yeah books would be handy for studying, and if some of the instructors aren't teaching what I want to learn I can just look at the books and study. They mentioned something about the Ford Fact course and said that it was only fords, so I think I told them hell with that lol! I'll ask about it again though that you guys say it's worth it. Since you mentioned a girl and I think someone else did earlier in the post I thought I'd ask, any good looking ladies at UTI?

There are a few good looking ladies. But to be blunt, the place is typically the epitome of Sausage Fest.

The Ford FACT program, and the Toyota TPAT are indeed concentrated on those manufacturers vehicles and techniques. Where it comes in handy though, is how comparatively in-depth they go through everything. Electrical, for example, is great through their courses.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
If you expect to meet girls at school here, think again buddy lol... Any remotely good looking girl has a trail of 5-6 guys right behind. You will find after a few months your standards will have dropped significantly lol

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Lol I wasn't expecting there to be any but just thought I'd ask. The same thing happens when a girl walks downstairs to where the shops are at my school, very rare but there will always be heads peeking around the doors and whistling and sometimes trails. There are plenty of gorgeous women in AZ though that I'm sure I'll see around. I doubt I will have time for any though, most of my money will be going to school and living, any left over is most likely going into the supra!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
oh boy UTI, what a fucking sausage party.
I went to the one in PA. Sure learned a lot.
Got into the Audi program and since been working for a dealer near me.
So the school worked out for me

boricua114

Boostin Good Lately
airhead04;1434549 said:
^^^Thank you.

It totals 31,115$, for me at least. Ill be trained in high preformance engines and wiring and transmissions etc etc. Ill be certified in BMW Nissan and Infinity by the time I graduate.

I really wanted to be certified in Toyota too, so my mom is helping me out after I grad to go to Pennsylvania to got to the UTI there and get certified for toyota cuz they dont offer it here in florida.

Hey I also enrolled into UTI Orlando, I start on October 25 also doing Nissan. I'm glad I'm not the only one with Toyota Supra doing Nissan

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I didn't know you could pick which advanced training you get to go to, wait, you don't get to! You have to be accepted into those programs from my understanding, unless there is a way to pay?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
They train you in trannies etc etc and such until you finally, i believe your last six weeks or so of training you get to pic which auto source you want to be in.

They do nissan, infinity,bmw,mercedes,porsche,ford,gm,and chevy down here in florida.

obviously you dont do all of those, but you do get to pick.

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Just remember one thing. When you graduate and (if) find a job. You are not going to be making big money. I dont know what they said possibilities are but around dealers here pay around $15 hr with the school certificate. Different areas of the country will vary. But your not going to get out and make $40-50k to start.

Education is a great investment. Just choose the school wisely. There are several more schools out there. The best thing to do is call several dealers and ask them who they hire and if they prefer certain schools.

Good luck:icon_razz

Rich

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Yes I heard Porsche was the hardest to get into, you have to have really good attendance, like not miss a minute of class and good grades. Of course no one should expect to be making $25 and up an hour right out of school, at least I don't. If it happens it happens, that will be awesome, but your most likely going to have to work your way up to that.

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
*james*;1443956 said:
I didn't know you could pick which advanced training you get to go to, wait, you don't get to! You have to be accepted into those programs from my understanding, unless there is a way to pay?

You are correct. You cannot "Opt Into" the MSAT programs.

To even get looked at, you need a perfect attendance and behavioral record- And a flawless GPA.

Even then, the odds of getting picked are essentially the entire UTI Population V you. And are even slimmer, now that many of the MSAT companies are getting crunched by the economy, and thereby not looking for many new guys.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Donnie;1446972 said:
You are correct. You cannot "Opt Into" the MSAT programs.

To even get looked at, you need a perfect attendance and behavioral record- And a flawless GPA.

Even then, the odds of getting picked are essentially the entire UTI Population V you. And are even slimmer, now that many of the MSAT companies are getting crunched by the economy, and thereby not looking for many new guys.

Yeah that is true, just gotta work hard and not mess around. I am just going to expect whatever I can find when I get down there to get everything paid for. Then find a better job down the road while living there and start moving up from there. Expect the least, hope for the best I guess!