UTI: Universal Technical Institute

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I am enrolled for UTI in July of 2009. I was wondering if there was anyone attending the school, or has went through the program before? Any comments on the school would be cool too, I have heard some bad reviews but also some good reviews. All in all, sounds like a good school, they have everything there needed to be trained as a master tech and I will go in there hungry and take out as much as I can (not meaning stealing)! Also if there is anyone in the area of Avondale, west of Phoenix, maybe we could meet up sometime and show me around, let me know of any supra meets and stuff of that sort. Well, hope to hear some replys!
Thanks.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I have read it was accredited, but I'm not sure what you mean by make sure you finish, if it wasn't?

I'm guessing Urinary Tract Infection means you have heard bad?

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I enrolled but dropped at the last minute. I have heard nothing but good about this institute, but I really think they are overpriced. 40k for 1 year is kinda outrageous.

I think what he met by "once you start make sure you finish" is because you will still be stuck paying the 40k, even if you dont finish

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
More around 30k tuition, but yes exspensive. It's as much as a 4 year college, UTI is an "advanced training" school.When you think about it though your only investing in yourself, only being a year long school you can make that back in a year or two when you find a good job if you plan to(91% placement rate in the industry).
I was told if you dropped or for some reason could not finish at x amount of weeks, you just pay for those weeks you were there, not the whole tuition.

Nice choice airhead04!

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I had a friend that just went through the program then was sent to florida after he graduated cause he got accepted into there Audi program. He loved the school and Avondale is kinda out of nowhere compared to the rest of PHX. As for meets, go to Azsupracentral.com that is the local forum and if any meets happen that is the place to find out.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
^^^Thank you.

It totals 31,115$, for me at least. Ill be trained in high preformance engines and wiring and transmissions etc etc. Ill be certified in BMW Nissan and Infinity by the time I graduate.

I really wanted to be certified in Toyota too, so my mom is helping me out after I grad to go to Pennsylvania to got to the UTI there and get certified for toyota cuz they dont offer it here in florida.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
reading all this makes me have 2nd thoughts about canceling. I have the paper somewhere showing the basic tuition is about 32k but with the toyota program its 38k. I searched all over the internet, looking for uti graduates to see how they are doing now that they have graduated but couldnt find much. I was going to go to the one in sacramento, or rancho cucamounga but they dont have the toyota class.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Ive noticed very few of the schools do. I dont know why either. Iknow for a fact that the Uti in PA has the toyota program though.

Might cost a little more, but Im going to rent a motel room or something for the time Im there just untill I get the certified toyota tech stuff. In the long run it will benefit you tremendously. As long as you put your skills to good use that is.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Thanks gurley0916, I will be looking into that. My tuition is around 34k, I'm taking the auto program which includes the power and performance, and also going to take a small diesel class. I will be starting in July, can't wait to leave Iowa. I'm doing a 1j swap and re-painting my car this winter so it should be ready for AZ! I should have a build thread up as soon as my garage is finished so I can get on it. I was told that to get into the advanced training such as, Toyota/Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Ford, Audi you had to get accepted, a certain GPA and good attendance to get into them. The attendance is just as or more important than your grades. Then there is no charge for the advanced training if your accepted, the diesel class costs extra but that is included in my tuition above. Sparkplug, you should do some more thinking, if that is what you want to do then it will be worth it.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
i might be attending to the one in houston bro, i only need to repair my car head in order to have a transportation cuz i got the money to move already :)

maybe ill c u there

to which one r u attending?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I'm planning on being more than a service station attendant poodles, although some have came out of UTI and getting a job at a jiffy lube or something like that. I'm getting into maybe something small like that while I'm in college it depends what I can get and live on. After I graduate I plan to get into a dealership as a tech, something like BMW, Audi or Porsche which is harder to get in to. They all would be a good paying job for a 19 year old just out of college. I picked Arizona for one, because I have always wanted to live there. Within 3-5 years in the industry, my goals are to eventually go somewhere with performance. Arizona has a decent demand for performance, a lot more than Iowa of course lol and keeps up with California and Florida which are usually the top states that come to one's mind. remkye08, put just enough money into your car to get it running/dependable and then go from there. There are loans and a bunch of other options to get you into school, if you are serious about it then after you graduate and get the good job you wanted, you should have no problem paying back loans and modding your car later if thats what you want!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I know it's not what you plan, but things don't always happen the way you plan them. I know a lot of guys that have gone to UTI only to be changing oil because the downturn in jobs. Less dealerships so less jobs, and with people watching their money they're more likely to put off repairs or go to a cheap shop.

Just make sure you have a fall back plan...

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
*james*;1434637 said:
I'm planning on being more than a service station attendant poodles, although some have came out of UTI and getting a job at a jiffy lube or something like that. I'm getting into maybe something small like that while I'm in college it depends what I can get and live on. After I graduate I plan to get into a dealership as a tech, something like BMW, Audi or Porsche which is harder to get in to. They all would be a good paying job for a 19 year old just out of college. I picked Arizona for one, because I have always wanted to live there. Within 3-5 years in the industry, my goals are to eventually go somewhere with performance. Arizona has a decent demand for performance, a lot more than Iowa of course lol and keeps up with California and Florida which are usually the top states that come to one's mind. remkye08, put just enough money into your car to get it running/dependable and then go from there. There are loans and a bunch of other options to get you into school, if you are serious about it then after you graduate and get the good job you wanted, you should have no problem paying back loans and modding your car later if thats what you want!

well since im really bad with mechanic
i will try the collision program, like painting and stuff plus i can draw and do some nice looking cars with paint without making it ricer.
i hope it works :)

good luck for u buddy too

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Meant the following from "Make sure you finish if you start"

If they are Nationally accredited, then dont bother reading past.

The colleges not nationally accredited will not be accepted by other colleges as transfer credits, there for if you didn't finish, your money went to waste.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Accreditation
UTI is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency. www.accsct.org

*Manufacturer sponsored programs available through UTI's CTG division are not considered within the scope of ACCSCT recognition.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
^Thanks poodles, I was going to get to that. Thats what I read I believe. People ending up in those low paying jobs aren't trying as hard as they could to get up there in the industry. UTI leaves the door open, you have to walk through it. Just because they say they will help find you a job doesn't mean they will, I'm not going to completely depend on someone else to pick my future. Some people go back to small towns where they lived before and thats all they have to offer is small shops, some of the time, it's all up to what you want. Since the economy is bad, I believe people are keeping their cars longer thus needing repair. We will never run out of cars to repair. As people are watching their money, there won't be much demand for the custom stuff or performance, which I wanted to get into. Yes, it's always good to have a back up plan, haven't thought much of it yet but that is something I need to get on here soon!