Using an oil cooler the size of a condenser. Too big???

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So I scored a pretty sweet deal on a custom Fluidyne cooler. I bought it before I thought it through and now I'm afraid either #1, it's too big to fit and/or #2 it'll over-cool the oil or cause oil pressure drop and strain on the pump. I do run a thermostat so over-cooling shouldn't be an issue.

The cooler is 21" tall with bracket (18" core), 25" wide and 1.25" thick. So the capacity shouldn't be too great. Was also thinking to drill and tap a drain plug at the bottom of one of the tanks since the lines are so high up.

I'm currently running a small 11" B&M 15 row cooler and haven't had any temperature issues. Thing is, I don't like how I have it mounted to the back of my current intercooler. Since I'm putting my new Greddy Intercooler in and pulling out the AC condenser I thought it be a lot easier to just mount a large thin cooler in the condenser's place rather than fabricating long ugly brackets and reusing my current little oil cooler.

Here's the monster in question:

Oil cooler.jpg

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Looks like I answered my own question. Just pulled my condenser and there's no where near enough room for this thing. Damn, wish I had a use for it for something. Anybody need it? lol

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Lol IJ, what would you do with two of these?

Fittings are -12AN. I was planning on running a reducer to -10AN. Anyone seriously interested can PM me. I don't want to turn this into a for sale thread. (I'll let it go for really good price).

I plan on fixing a few of the bent fins and using a condenser cleaner I have at work on it. Gonna make it look brand new. I have an email from the owner of Fluidyne who remembers making this thing. He gave me a lot of information about it. To replicate would take a week and run $600!:aigo:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes, oil can be too cold and especially too thick. If that is how engineers wanted oil, it would have been designed that way. A cooler that large is for cars that over heat oil on a track. You would need a thermostat just to keep it close.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
IJ.;2027885 said:
Just me but I wouldn't run a cooler without a T Stat ever...

This.
If you run a t-stat you don't have to worry about too cool of oil, and if you have a large enough cooler, you should never have to worry about it getting to warm either.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Just got it back from having it flushed. I swear it looks bigger each time I see it. Maybe it's because I actually got to compare it to my tiny AC condenser that I just sent off for scrap.

Seriously tho, this thing is ridiculous!