Use of stock shift knob with sogi mod

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i know its not a big deal but i did the sogi short shift mod, and i love my stock shift knob, so i had to figure out a way to continue using it.
real simple, all i did was go to my local auto parts store and picked up a "spark plug non-fowler" pick one the right size so that it easily threads into the shift knob. then i just JB welded the non fowler to the end of the shifter. now, the knob can be threaded on and off, and theres no need to buy an expensive replacement, or have to deal with a cheap one.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
mischief7m said:
i know its not a big deal but i did the sogi short shift mod, and i love my stock shift knob, so i had to figure out a way to continue using it.
real simple, all i did was go to my local auto parts store and picked up a "spark plug non-fowler" pick one the right size so that it easily threads into the shift knob. then i just JB welded the non fowler to the end of the shifter. now, the knob can be threaded on and off, and theres no need to buy an expensive replacement, or have to deal with a cheap one.

ha! great tip man. What is the thread size you picked?
Better than those little tiny allen screws

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I just took the upper piece from the original shifter (the piece with original threads) cut the thread section off and had it welded onto the short (sogi) section of the lever. Works great!!!

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
suprastanger507mgte said:
ha! great tip man. What is the thread size you picked?
Better than those little tiny allen screws

actually im not sure, i bought the wrong size, (just a little too big) so i had to drill out the inside of the knob a bit. but since its plastic it adjusted easily to the new threads

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
wish i had pics of mine. i broke the shifter into two, sawzall'd the stock threads off of the shifter and welded them back on to the shorter part (after taking some metal off of the shorter one). works exactly like stock

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
When i checked the threads with my tap set, the threads were M12x1.25 if i recall... you could also go buy a bolt that size, cut it, and then weld that on there.

But i just welded on the threads from the big shaft to the little shaft, sits a little too low for me, but i manage. Plus i also welded mine at a little bit of an angle, so its more comfortable than a straight up and down stick.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
i understand this mod makes the height of the shifter shorter but does it make the throw of the shifter shorter?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
or, you could just pick up a die from any parts store and cut new threads onto the stick...

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Is it really though? I don't think it would even be a semi shorter throw because of the reduced height, like it seems like it would be. It feels shorter because your closer to the actual fulcrum point but it's really not. The actual lever still travels the same distance. I'm probably wrong because you are god but I dunno.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TurboFreak said:
IJ fails.

It isn't a shorter throw in actuality. It just feels like it because the knob is closer to the actual fulcrum point.
Should have paid attention in school ;)
(not to mention the horrible harmonic buzz you get from this "mod" at highway speeds)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Which red line is shorter ;)

Shift leverage and the buzz Ian rants about seems to be the few downsides to this mod.

Attachments

• shift.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 158

1barstar

Feb 18, 2008
California
lol i did this "sogi mod" it ended up making the shifter super short. i didnt like how it felt plus it was at that point too thin to tap for the stock knob so i cut the tip were it is thinner on the "innner shifter"off. measured to about where i wanted the knob and cut the bolt then welded the threaded portion of the bolt i had laying around in its place (bolt is off the rear shock fork for of a 88+ honda civic or 90+ acura integra ) cheap, redily available, and grade 8 cant go wrong :)
hope that helps