:Urgent: The mystery starting problem that I thought I fixed.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
So here's the deal:

- Once owned this car, bought it back from a guy who did the head gasket , timing belt, arps, ect. Not a big fan of people working on my cars besides me and my friends. When I bought the car back CPS cover was off completely no where to be found, among other little things missing like an engine support. Also now through a code 11 at me ( ground problem , however I looked all over and found nothing loose or hanging off so far ).

- Had some lame starting problems which my car would not start until a random time after a large number of cranks. This progressively got worse and worse. I could start it after a couple of tries the first few times. Eventually it would take me 20 minutes to get it started...

- Well my clutch went out on me during all this so before I fixed the problem I had to replace a clutch anyway. Got the clutch in, wanted to test it, and of course car refused to start. I could hear the starter do a slight click but it just wouldn't start. Battery is brand new, as well as nice terminals. I then decided to try the 30 AMP relay mod. I could tell the starter clicking was a lot louder, but still no dice. So, I checked the the starter. The silinoid was worn as hell and I could see it needed replacing. I bought a replacement starter from O'rilies with a life time warranty, installed, and the car fired right up. Problem solved! Right!? Well, yeah for the past weak the car had NO problems what so ever getting started.

- Just now I go outside for a midnight soda run, and .... nothing. What the fuck? I can even hear the sound of the starter spinning as I hold the key. I tried un-plugging the battery for a minute or so to see if was some strange ecu problem but no luck. Sigh. I have to take my girlfriend to work in about 2.5 hours so my goal is to get it working by then. Battery is not an issue, starter SHOULDN'T be an issue... what should I be trying? I would try a pop start but it's not really safe where my car is parked. Could my code 11 be some how randomly and crazily related but entirely randomly causing this?

- Side note, I did get a car wash today.. maybe something is getting wet? But what? And it worked fine for hours and hours after the wash.

- Question: Since I don't pay a lot of attention to the little details of my car when it's working fine, when you normally crank the car over does the cig lighter and cd player normally turn off?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
SupraOfDoom;1360981 said:
So here's the deal:

- Once owned this car, bought it back from a guy who did the head gasket , timing belt, arps, ect. Not a big fan of people working on my cars besides me and my friends. When I bought the car back CPS cover was off completely no where to be found, among other little things missing like an engine support. Also now through a code 11 at me ( ground problem , however I looked all over and found nothing loose or hanging off so far ).

- Had some lame starting problems which my car would not start until a random time after a large number of cranks. This progressively got worse and worse. I could start it after a couple of tries the first few times. Eventually it would take me 20 minutes to get it started...

- Well my clutch went out on me during all this so before I fixed the problem I had to replace a clutch anyway. Got the clutch in, wanted to test it, and of course car refused to start. I could hear the starter do a slight click but it just wouldn't start. Battery is brand new, as well as nice terminals. I then decided to try the 30 AMP relay mod. I could tell the starter clicking was a lot louder, but still no dice. So, I checked the the starter. The silinoid was worn as hell and I could see it needed replacing. I bought a replacement starter from O'rilies with a life time warranty, installed, and the car fired right up. Problem solved! Right!? Well, yeah for the past weak the car had NO problems what so ever getting started.

- Just now I go outside for a midnight soda run, and .... nothing. What the fuck? I can even hear the sound of the starter spinning as I hold the key. I tried un-plugging the battery for a minute or so to see if was some strange ecu problem but no luck. Sigh. I have to take my girlfriend to work in about 2.5 hours so my goal is to get it working by then. Battery is not an issue, starter SHOULDN'T be an issue... what should I be trying? I would try a pop start but it's not really safe where my car is parked. Could my code 11 be some how randomly and crazily related but entirely randomly causing this?

- Side note, I did get a car wash today.. maybe something is getting wet? But what? And it worked fine for hours and hours after the wash.

- Question: Since I don't pay a lot of attention to the little details of my car when it's working fine, when you normally crank the car over does the cig lighter and cd player normally turn off?

IS the starter cranking over the engine or does it sound like its just spinning freely?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Is the starter spinning the crankshaft? any grinding noises? how do you know the starter is spinning?

If the starter is in fact spinning and not turning the crankshaft the gear on the starter isnt engaging the flywheel.

Either the flywheel is striped, or the gear isn't being moved towards the flywheel and engaging it.

This is all assuming the starter is infact spinning ofcourse.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
engine does not crank. sounds like its spinning freely but fly wheel looked fine when I had the trans off...

no grinding noises. sounds like its spinning or something around it is spinning / making noise when i hold the key on.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
the starters clutch thing is not engaging. supposed to move forward when it spins. it could be sticking or hitting something.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
SupraOfDoom;1361019 said:
clutch thing?

dont know what its called but when the starter motor turns the gear on the starter is forced away from the starter into the flywheel. once it starts you let go of the key and the spring on that gear forces it to move back towards the starter (and off of the flywheel) so it does not drive all the time and wear it out.

some have one way bearings as a clutch.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
the others will be able to explain it. i havent taken my starter apart yet so i dont know too much about it but should be an easy fix.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
mecevans;1361022 said:
dont know what its called but when the starter motor turns the gear on the starter is forced away from the starter into the flywheel. once it starts you let go of the key and the spring on that gear forces it to move back towards the starter (and off of the flywheel) so it does not drive all the time and wear it out.

Starter solenoid.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Yeah my new starter came with a solenoid though. Uploading video but its big and will take 22 minutes :(. Not like it will change much. Also, I'm not sure what both of the connectors I grab in the video are or do. One looks vacuum related ( the second one i grab ), whats the other one? well check when i link it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mecevans;1361022 said:

"Starter Bendix"

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
If you get a new starter, ask for one for a 91 supra. It has the threaded body so you don't need bolts + nuts. Its also a little smaller(shorter). That is of course if you don't have that already, based on your sig I'm guessing your 87...

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I can't see your video for some reason (could be some of the dns blocking junk I did for the company I work for and I'm too lazy to go around that right now) but from what you're describing it sounds like the bendix not popping properly. I had that problem on my car and got myself a Bosch, worked like a charm.

EDIT: Got the video to work, definitely sounds like the gear isn't popping out properly. Your choice if you want to rebuild it or not, but if you've got a lifetime warranty, I'd get a new one. If it happens again, I'd look at a different product. On the bright side, you don't have the problem I had with it coming half way out sometimes and chewing my flywheel to bits...though that did give me an excuse to put the fidanza in... :D