URGENT Heater help

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Well the heater on my brothers car has stopped. i searched for a few threads, but they all lead just to the same end, the vsv. His was already bypassed, but it still doesn't work. I can hear his fan go on as well.
There is no coolant leaks btw, so that is out of the question. Anything that i am missing? i can't understand if i am missing something on this fairly simple heating system.
Let me know guys. Btw i can swap parts from my supra to his if needed, as mine is undergoing some upgrades during winter.
Please help, its fucking cold here.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
GrimJack;1182695 said:
Already bypassed how, exactly? Solenoid hotwired? Valve wired open? Valve removed? Heater core bypassed?

Took the words right out of my mouth... Must have been while you were kis....

er.. yeah. What he said...

Edit: here's the coolant circuit:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
the vsv for the heater valve is bypassed, so the vacuum hard line goes directly to the firewall heater valve without the vsv.
edit. this is also on a 1jz, but i would imagine they are very similar.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Is the valve opening when you apply the vacuum to it? if so, the heater core is probably clogged. My old 87 had that problem. I had to flush it out by applying pressure (using a hose) back and forth on both sides, finally broke free and cleaned it out. You will eventually need a new heater core most likely though. It sucked when it hit 50* and I had no heat, I can't imagine canada.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Mr.PFloyd;1182936 said:
hopefully it's not the core... And yeah at -25 c here it sucks right now... Is there a possibility the climate control is broken?

Not if the heater control valve is "open". The heater is pretty simple. If
the engine heats up (hot water) and it flows thru the heater core there is
going to be hot air when the fan blows accross it. Either the valve is not allowing water thru or the heater core is cloged or blocked. Once the vsv
is bypassed the climate control is out of the loop.
The climate control could possibly not open the door inside to allow air flow over the hearer core.
Good luck Ice cold rides
in the Supra are not fun----

BigTree

Targa JZA70 FTW
Jan 6, 2007
Canada, BC
Mr.PFloyd;1182936 said:
hopefully it's not the core... And yeah at -25 c here it sucks right now... Is there a possibility the climate control is broken?

I am assuming he drives a LHD supra?

I only ask because in my RHD car the climate control thinger is known to have problems with some solder joints. I lost all my heat in my car 3 weeks ago with my VSV bypassed. After re-soldering some joints, my car has very warm heat.

Just food for though. I am assuming it is a LHD car so that may not even be an issue for you. But if it is RHD I would look into that.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
k so i tied the little valve just to make sure it doesn't close when im not looking, and it doesnt work still. now the hose going into the firewall is warm, which means it is getting coolant which means clogged heater core? I shall be flushing it to see if it works.
Any other ideas guys?