upper radiator colapsed! (USEFUL INFO)

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
like every member on this forum. ive had a few overheating problems. ive did compression checks. changed caps and thermostats. flushed and burped the system over twenty times in the last few months = $100 plus. anyway, my next thing was to go ahead and upgrade the radiatior. and if that doesnt work , then next would be pulling the head because i was tired of the engine heating up and i have to keep check the coolant level.

my car doesnt overheat in any pattern. sometimes it only happens once in a while , sometimes once a week, a few days , or everytime i drive. it never happens when just idling.

while checking out my new lex afm i was under the hood revving the motor i suddenly heard a loud suction and i look over to see that the upper radiator hose have collapse(flattend out). it held in that postion for a few seconds then released. i was'nt even revving it hard. i tried to do it again but it didnt work.

later i was at auto zone with my hood up and car idling. suddenly the upper hose collapsed again. this time the car have been at a stand still for a good ten minutes and i WAS'NT revving it.

I think that i have finally found the weak link in the cooling system. my theory is that during idle it never collapse because of not enough suction from the pump but at drving speed 2k+rpm the pump sucks the hose close caution the car to overheat. but by the time i pull over the hose reopens but its now too late and the car is already too hot and now spittin coolant through the resevoir. my car does it once in a while in no particular pattern so this is the only explanation. so thats why they make hardpipe for the upper hose. my upper hose looks fresh but when i squeezed it was soft.

i advise every that is overheat spuraticly and have no idea why. check the upper hose not for leaks but softness.

anyone know where i can get a decent hardpide for less then the price of my car?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not every member :)

"The radiator cap has three seals, any of which may fail independently of the others:

The main seal is the one that seals the cap against the top of the filler neck. Just a rubber gasket that operates just like one on the lid of a pickle jar. Simple and reliable.
A failed pressure seal will allow the coolant to boil at a lower temperature, and coolant will be able to travel freely to the expansion reservoir. This will cause localized hot-spots inside the engine, which can lead to premature head warpage, and may hasten head gasket failure. It will also cause the rad coolant level to be low, just like a failed head gasket.
A failed return seal will prevent the coolant from returning to the radiator as the rad cools off, causing a vacuum that can collapse the radiator's hoses. This will prevent the coolant from circulating if the hoses don't re-expand as the engine warms up."

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
IJ. said:
Did you read the part in the quote box?
sorry i read it again. i just got a new thermostat and cap from toyota and the gauge havent pass halfway hot since. is the return seal the smaller gasket on the cap?
the coolant does return and all of this happened whent the engine was running. are silicone rad hose stronger or stiffer then stock rubber hoses.

Last edited:

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
the jiggle valve is right and i blew throught the hoses they r clear. im just gonna do the home depot mod and see what happens next and post it. if the hard pipe dont fix the problem then i will have to do the hg and new radiator.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I had issues like that with an old radiator hose...

overheated and it ballooned as well :runaway:

samco's and fixing the cooling system stopped it...

(koyo radiator, new fan shroud, new fan clutch, new water pump, new radiator cap, new t-stat, samco hoses)

it was expensive, but the only parts that where really bad was the fan clutch and the hose...

the rest was me finally having it with the engine overheating...

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i fixed the upper hose and now it doesnt overheat, gauge stays still no movement what so ever but earlier today after the car is fully warmed up i push it a little hard and it started to overflow. the coolant that was coming out wasnt even hot. it wasnt boiling. So could this be a clog somewhere or do i need a highpressure cap? thanks.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Depends on how much coolant you had in the overflow to begin with. If you filled it up after you replaced everything, then it would be too full, and it'll spit out the extra.

If you didn't, I suspect you'd better get a block check done, cheap way to diagnose a head gasket problem.