Upper Control Arms/Ball Joints

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hello all. I couldn't find an upper control arm/ball joint set-up for the MkIII with a changeable ball joint, so I had a set made.

If any of the machinists on here would be interested in making these for the community, I could get you the info. on what had to be done, and the part # for the ball joint. My machinist doesn't have the time to do more than just the little bit I take him.

Here's some pics:
View attachment 16290
View attachment 16291
View attachment 16292
View attachment 16293

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Looks like a standard GM ball joint to me, with a circlip to hold it in place :)

Personally, I would like to see a set of tubular uppers with replaceable ball joints ;)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
They're actually pressed in just like any other ball joint. The clip was unnecessary; I put them on there for peace of mind. Don't know what vehicle the ball joints are actually for. I just went to Auto Zone and dug around in their stock until I found one that had all the right dimensions.

Tubular would be nice, though....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bah, I like the nice aluminum piece...

I think some people would be interested, I think it might have been buckshot that wanted to hard anodize the control arms...this would allow him to do that

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've been waiting for this. I really need to think about doing ALL of mine and I had thought about this but don't know of anywhere local to go. Having all the details makes it easier to locate a capable shop. So let's have those specs, details and part numbers!

Ckanderson said:
I already posted a price for replacement ones.. cause toyota is stupid expensive

Well, I missed it. Got a link?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
135 bux a piece.

Brand new.

windowopen.jsp

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sorry, internet has been down since Monday. The ball joint is Perfect Circle, part #: fa2133. I had to cut the top lip off of the control arm that the cap for the stock ball joint is in. After that, the cover and ball joint came right out. I took the arms and new ball joints to the machine shop, where he milled the top flat, and cut .002" out of the hole for the ball joint. Had to cut down the top lip of the ball joint about a 1/4", then pressed them in. To do all four took about two hours. I cut off the casting marks, and buffed the control arms with a medium core lock pad on a die grinder(extra hour or so to get them smooth).

Ball joints were $50 a piece. The machine work didn't cost me anything out of pocket, but should have been around $150 total. Now I can change them when they go bad, and don't have to change the control arm as well.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Lol, too true. If I'd have known about those a month ago, I probably would have got them. A lot less work. :)