Upgraded rad and fan for 2j?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
cramerizking;1881560 said:
Indeed. Don't have the tray that goes under the car though.
Fix that, first off. Remember that any air that can go around the radiator, will. Make sure it goes through the radiator.

I have a PWR (about as thick as they come for the Mk3) and a 1j. Clutch fan is out of the question in my case. However, I have an OEM setup from a Ford Contour, that is actually ever-so-slightly thinner than the Mishimoto setup. Haven't tried it out just yet, but others have with good results, so OEM electric fan is fine by me. Remember also, that a big radiator is only a big heat sink if you can't extract the heat from it.

Currently I have the Mishimoto setup on my car, and up here in the mountains, it does just fine. However, in Phoenix/Vegas in the summer, she is not a happy camper. Not at all uncommon to see temperatures in the 230° range. For me, that isn't exactly a comfortable temp to sit at, especially when I'm not even boosting...

Oh, and ttsupra2503, clever idea with the capacitors linked to your fan setup. Seem kinda silly on the audio side (if you ask me, guess it depends on the frequency of electrical demand from your system), but in this case... I like the idea. :)

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Hydro fan is the best... /thread I win.

Seriously why doesn’t anyone run hydro fan setups? If you’re running a JZA70/ Aristo harness you can run a hydro fan, the ECU for the hydro fan is $15 dollars at any junk yard that has a mid 90s camery or sc400, you can find the shroud/fan for $80/with reservoir, motors come stock with the hydro pump, sensor for temp control is $40 from driftmotion, and most people throw away hydro pumps... (cough ANDY Cough) you can have a kick ass cooling system for less than clutch fan, which doesn't draw power from the motor and flows more CFM's than electric fan and is more reliable IMO.

I've run hydro fan for the last 5 years I have a koyo radiator and 3" intercooler piping and it fits fine. Yes the pumps go out, but I found a place that rebuilds them locally for the price of a new 2JZ water pump.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Clint;1881870 said:

Seriously why doesn’t anyone run hydro fan setups? If you’re running a JZA70/ Aristo harness you can run a hydro fan, the ECU for the hydro fan is $15 dollars at any junk yard that has a mid 90s camery or sc400, you can find the shroud/fan for $80/with reservoir, motors come stock with the hydro pump, sensor for temp control is $40 from driftmotion, and most people throw away hydro pumps... (cough ANDY Cough) you can have a kick ass cooling system for less than clutch fan, which doesn't draw power from the motor and flows more CFM's than electric fan and is more reliable IMO.

I've run hydro fan for the last 5 years I have a koyo radiator and 3" intercooler piping and it fits fine. Yes the pumps go out, but I found a place that rebuilds them locally for the price of a new 2JZ water pump.

When I did my initial research on the swap (years ago) everyone said to drop them. I did. And now I've read in a few places that they're actually a better setup. I really might have gone that route, but hindsight is 20/20.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I also agree on hydro. That would of been my second option if my 1jz didn't already come with a USDM pump

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
te72;1881859 said:
Fix that, first off. Remember that any air that can go around the radiator, will. Make sure it goes through the radiator.

I have a PWR (about as thick as they come for the Mk3) and a 1j. Clutch fan is out of the question in my case. However, I have an OEM setup from a Ford Contour, that is actually ever-so-slightly thinner than the Mishimoto setup. Haven't tried it out just yet, but others have with good results, so OEM electric fan is fine by me. Remember also, that a big radiator is only a big heat sink if you can't extract the heat from it.

Currently I have the Mishimoto setup on my car, and up here in the mountains, it does just fine. However, in Phoenix/Vegas in the summer, she is not a happy camper. Not at all uncommon to see temperatures in the 230° range. For me, that isn't exactly a comfortable temp to sit at, especially when I'm not even boosting...

Oh, and ttsupra2503, clever idea with the capacitors linked to your fan setup. Seem kinda silly on the audio side (if you ask me, guess it depends on the frequency of electrical demand from your system), but in this case... I like the idea. :)

lol yes sir, I know I need the undercover. :(

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I had actually tried the hydro setup and it was down to changing too much hardware to make things work.

I am sorry for how I stated the comment about why people dont like electric fans. I Dont mean to undermine people. The common temp up here in Kelowna BC during the summer months is 38-45 C' which converted is 100f-113f and I have personally experienced up to 52C which is 125f and I was sent home from working at a large warehouse. During that time none of the cars/trucks running solely electric setups with shrouds and duel stage fans had any issues. The capacitors make a big difference in how the fan runs as well. Its a good cheat to making a small alternator handle big loads.

The basic rule of thumb, if your electric fan cant pull enough air to cool a radiator then the fan isn't powerful enough. I like the taurus fans for their air flow and they do make a really nice one you can get from the SHO version if your lucky enough to find one. I am personally converting two of the single versions to fit side by side and tweaking a diamond checkerplate aluminum shroud to flow nice amounts of air out.
Lesson about electric motors : without sufficient power they will still run but not how they are supposed to.

Let me make one thing VERY clear. I am not here bashing anyone. I am not here trolling for an argument. I am here to tell you electric fans work and I believe add power (will show/post numbers on a dyno next motor I do).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, e-fans that came stock on a car are fine. The issue is that even the expensive aftermarket fans *cough*flex-a-lite*cough* suck.

The other issue is wiring. A lot of people use the craptastic setup that gets it's temp reading from a probe pushed into the radiator fins (like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31147/?rtype=10 ). Not to mention using wiring that isn't up to the job.

I would suggest pulling parts (and copying the wiring) from cars with existing e-fan setups. Wouldn't be hard to pull the temp sensors from say a Camry (and I bet they'd screw right in).

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Im running the modified LS400 clutch pack and 7m fan on my 2j swapped mk3, stock style radiator tho! I got a ton of space between the fan and the radiator, I can give you an exact measurement later but I will say it looks like I could fit a big after market rad with this setup!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint;1881870 said:

Clint, I'm a bit confused here. Why would those cars have the hydrofan ECU? I thought only the 1jz cars ever had the hydro setup... I'll agree that they are a nice setup for keeping cool, but my main issue(s) with them, you can't buy them new anymore, and I sincerely doubt they would fit with the PWR (or other larger radiators) in our cars.

Question though, are they "powered" by the water pump in some fashion? I noticed the water pump I pulled off my engine when I got it was a little different than the 2j replacement...

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
The hydro fan on the camry is for their V6 and its a pretty cool setup. It runs off a special power steering pump that basically has a second pump to the system that runs the fans. They are pretty slim line and have their issues but all in all are a great option.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
te72;1882985 said:
Clint, I'm a bit confused here. Why would those cars have the hydrofan ECU? I thought only the 1jz cars ever had the hydro setup... I'll agree that they are a nice setup for keeping cool, but my main issue(s) with them, you can't buy them new anymore, and I sincerely doubt they would fit with the PWR (or other larger radiators) in our cars.

Question though, are they "powered" by the water pump in some fashion? I noticed the water pump I pulled off my engine when I got it was a little different than the 2j replacement...

Brad I am disappointed in you, haven't been doing your homework have you. The SC400 comes stock with a hydro fan setup, and the older camrys also came with a hydro fan setup 90-94 IIRC and they where run off a the power steering pump not the water pump.

I am not concerned in the fact that you cannot find "new" hydro pumps and I have been collecting hydro pumps myself lately, I found a local company in Maricopa http://www.kelloggautomotive.com/index.html that rebuilds water/hydro pumps, I've been told in the realm of $400 but I am not sure how accurate that price is.

With a Hydro pump there isnt any real need to have a "big" radiator IMO, I upgraded to a Koyo for looks and not function, I was on a stock radiator for nearly 5 years and never once had a heating issue especially driving back and forth to canyon lake during the hot 115 degree summer months...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint;1883234 said:
Brad I am disappointed in you, haven't been doing your homework have you. The SC400 comes stock with a hydro fan setup, and the older camrys also came with a hydro fan setup 90-94 IIRC and they where run off a the power steering pump not the water pump.

I am not concerned in the fact that you cannot find "new" hydro pumps and I have been collecting hydro pumps myself lately, I found a local company in Maricopa http://www.kelloggautomotive.com/index.html that rebuilds water/hydro pumps, I've been told in the realm of $400 but I am not sure how accurate that price is.

With a Hydro pump there isnt any real need to have a "big" radiator IMO, I upgraded to a Koyo for looks and not function, I was on a stock radiator for nearly 5 years and never once had a heating issue especially driving back and forth to canyon lake during the hot 115 degree summer months...
Did not know about the SC400 running them, have honestly never looked under the hood of one. My 1uz is attached to a clutch fan, I figured they all were. I'll have to check my power steering pump and see if there are any extra nipples on mine. The lack of a hydro fan might explain why the steering on my car is ridiculously light though, right?

$400 seems a bit steep though, unless that's for the pump and rebuild. I don't recall what I spent on my fan setup, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $200ish, already setup for a Supra.

As for the performance, if it can keep up with a Canyon Lake run, there isn't much better praise you can ask for. I'd run one if I didn't already have a setup that should take care of things good enough. :)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I ditched the hydrofan for a few reasons: I like being able to quickly replace parts with new OE pieces when they fail or are about to, didn't like the idea of how much the components cost vs the mechanical setup, wanted to shed weight, and did not want the infamous P/S fluid covered engine bay that has happened to some people.

It's all preference, and don't get me wrong the hydrofan is better than the mechanical at cooling.. I just didn't think the positives outweighed the negatives for my goals.