Up again!

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
I finally finished putting in another auto transmission in my supra, also put a new rack and pinion, and some other misc. stuff.

When I went to start it, it just clicked, I always have this problem and by the look of everyone's "starting trouble" threads it's not unusual to have to jump the car even with a full battery, there must be a weak link somewhere.

So we printed a wiring diagram, but if you know where a problem spot is in the starting hardware, please let me know, I'll check that first.

Besides that I need tires and when my cat melted it ate through one of the corners on the exhaust, so I need that too. I'm just glad to be back in business!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Have you tried replacing the starter? I know the previous owner of my car had an NA that had starter trouble, I still have the metal rod he used to beat on it with! lol

Give your starter a whack and see if it starts.

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
Quin;908797 said:
Have you tried replacing the starter? I know the previous owner of my car had an NA that had starter trouble, I still have the metal rod he used to beat on it with! lol

Give your starter a whack and see if it starts.

Yes, thats the first thing I did, and I tried hitting it a couple times.

So with the new starter it only starts when I put ALOT of juice on it, and I can't be totting around two batteries and a jump pack.

besttrans

Supramania Contributor
Jun 18, 2006
Springfield MA
Follow the ignition wire from the starter (small wire) into the dash (possibly behind glove box). It passes through a wire conector that gave me a problem. When the starter just clicks check that wire for 12v. My car had a bad connection at that plug intermittently. Sometimes only 6v would get to the starter making it click. It seemed like a bad starter solonoid.

Also check 12v constant and starter ground.

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
p909031_1.jpg

try this. i have had great success with it.

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
that looks cool, can I get that relay at any auto store?

And the wire that goes to the starter, is that the little plug?

I want to do that but I don't want to cut anything that is irreversible.

Can you tell me exactly what supplies I need, like what size wire,plugs,etc.

Thanks for the answers, this all really helps.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
demonofspeed;909139 said:
How can I check codes, I was told there is a module you could buy but it's expensive, from what I hear, I'm not certain.

Just use a paper clip or a bit of wire, the diagnostic box is right behind the fuse box. Jump Te1 and E1, then turn the ignition key to position two. The check engine light will flash at 1/2 second intervals if there are no codes. If there are codes it will flash the codes numbers at you in numerical order from lowest to highest.

Last edited:

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
Yes that relay can be had at advance or autozone. It is a standard 5 wire, but the ones they sell are only for which is ok in this situation as you do need it to rest on a ground.