Unknown Antifreeze loss, Turbo?

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
Anyone have an opinion on loosing antifreeze through their turbo? My 7MGTE keeps emptying the radiator overflow tank as the car is driven normally. It starts from cold with the tank at the correct fill mark, seems to run absolutely normal, but after cooldown the overflow tank is empty. No issues with coolant leak from anywhere. I'm somewhat at a loss.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
More likely it's pushing coolant out of the overflow or burning it through the HG.
Otherwise you would have to crack the cast turbo center section.

I recommend you pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. Maybe it's your heater core or some other hose or line you cannot see.

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
No apparent Coolant leaks anywhere. MHG and Head Bolts, checked cyl. for leak down, none and all within 3 lbs. Doesn't overheat under any and all circumstances, idling or firewalled.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does the level in the overflow ever get near the top when hot? I would get a pressure tester for the cooling system and pressurize that to see whats going on. If your radiator cap is bad it could be letting out all pressure into the overflow, makeing that tank spit out coolant onto the street and then on cool down its got less water so it sucks it all back in

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
There is a test system that allows you to check all traces of coolant in the combustion chamber. You should try that, but I'm sure others here will give you more information.

Here's my personal help;
Let's take what we know, and go from there. You say that the upgraded gasket and bolts would more than likely block any traces of coolant from getting combusted. So, from my past coolant loss experiences, it's more than likely a leak. Where? I don't know, but there are only so many places it could be going. Start off by doing these steps

1. Chemical test for coolant in combustion chambers

2. Remove the overflow, run water in it and let it sit inside your house for a few hours. If it leaks, there's the problems.

3. Check the hoses like this, take a white paper towel, and run it down across the coolant lines that are visible. If you have green (Or the red pre-mix) color on the paper towel, remove and examine the line, replace if necessary.

4. Check the spark plug galley for coolant, that's a common place. If you have coolant there, check for lines leaking around the galley.

5. Start the engine and let it idle until it gets warm (Normal temperature), see if you can smell coolant burning. If so, look around the exhaust and block area. (This narrows down your problem)

And also, if you have drained the coolant and refilled, it will be taking the fluid from the overflow into the coolant system.

Just trying to help you out a little,
Matt

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
bluemk3, i wonder why you have had 3 of them.....

r45, i would stop driving the car and do everything that has been talked about
if it is just a hose then its not smart cause the house could bust on you and then you would get a BHG..
don't listen to blue.

goodluck on your tests