Ultimate 6.5" driver for the factory pods??? I think I've got it.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Disclaimer: I know that not everyone has the same ideas/taste for their Supra. Speakers/stereo add weight. For some of us, simple, quality components add very little weight compared with the extra enjoyment. This is a GT car. I enjoy driving the car and not only listening to the engine/exhaust on occasion, but being able to experience clean, "live" sound. Thanks;)

On to the findings!

Since finally being able to receive and ship the speaker pods from the group buy, I've jumped into finding what would work the best in these pods. Sure, you can get two-ways, and what-not to fill them (such as the Dynex speakers below), but I've always wanted more. Not so much where I'm cutting the door apart, but more.

I had always run the Boston Acoustic RC620's (retail $250) in my Supra previously and didn't really have any complaints. These fit perfect, no modifications, but aren't available anymore, so they really don't help that much.

I just started working with Halcyon Acoustics to put together a driver/tweeter/x-over system designed for these pods and our cars. Wasn't having much luck previously and didn't have much motivation since the pods weren't in hand. Now that they're here, we're onto something!

These drivers are IMO the biggest that you'll fit in the car without modifying the door itself. They are too big for the pods, but as you can see in the pics, I was able to trim the pods and shoe-horn them in.

The results....Amazing. Initial setup has been without x-over, 12v (car not running).

The door/mirror will shake!

I am not about rattling the car apart, but I am about getting full/clean/loud sound and these will do it without you having to fill the trunk with subs. (Obviously, any 6.5" driver won't move the same amount of air as a sub, but you get the idea.)

Next step is to get them (Halcyon) a door and have them design a x-over and pair-in tweeters.

This is the first thing I've gotten to do my white Supra in a long time and if you can't tell, I'm pretty excited:biglaugh:

Pics in the next post!

Kevin

(also - I know there's a Audio section, but doesn't seem to get much traffic - if it needs to be moved, I completely understand)

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Pics:

New driver, Boston Acoustic driver, Best buy Dynex speaker.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Boston/new driver comparison:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What I had to trim to make these fit:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What you'd have to cut to get any bigger:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Trimming:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
What is the nominal (4ohm) power rating for these speakers?

Ive been looking for a quality 6.5" crossover and tweeter setup for awhile now.
I'm running a 50w/ch amp for my mid/highs, 100w peak.
Additionally, do/will they offer a speaker for the rear (either OEM, the recent GB 6.5 rear pod, or 6x9 to fit in a box) that is constructed of the same materials and power rating?

I've noticed over the years and various speaker replacements that the best balanced sound results from all the speakers as similar as possible, in size and construction.
Finding a brand with a product line that has crossovers and is rated all similar throughout their sizes is a challenge.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know, I still plan on putting in a 10" at some point (have all the parts except the sub, still shopping), and already have a set of Polk components, but depending on how I like those, I may upgrade. Wish I could hear them in person, get a better idea what they sound like...

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
KevinM;1610365 said:
I'll see what I can come up with this weekend. Gave him a door last week and I know the tweeters came in so I think he's just gotta configure x-overs for the car.

What are your power goals with this setup?