Twin turbo manifold for 7mgte

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
I did some random googles like most people do and came across a twin mani. I was just wondering If anyone ACTUALLY knows anything about this. It'd be a pretty cool build if it's truly worth how much it costs. Pictures, dyno numbers, and info would be VERY appreciated!!! Ps, if this has been posted before I couldn't find info on it...

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Kyle Hartman;1873154 said:
I did some random googles like most people do and came across a twin mani. I was just wondering If anyone ACTUALLY knows anything about this. It'd be a pretty cool build if it's truly worth how much it costs. Pictures, dyno numbers, and info would be VERY appreciated!!! Ps, if this has been posted before I couldn't find info on it...

Iirc HKS made that manifold. There have also been some home brew jobs floating around as well. I think it was on here, a Guy was selling a twin kit for the 7m - may want to dig through the FS section

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
What does "worth it" mean to you? It's twice the turbos, intakes, coldpipes, downpipes, wastegates, oil lines, and heatwrapping. Yea, it's cool as fuck, but for the same power a single build is way cheaper.

Btw I don't get the "spools faster" thing. Yea, the housings are smaller and the wheels are lighter, but only half the exhaust is hitting each one. Spend the money on a ball-bearing turbo and a quick-spool valve.

Again, what do you mean by "worth it"? It'd be one unique Supra for sure.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
So outdated it's not funny...

Back in the day we did Twins as they gave MUCH better response than a single of the same power output (talking mid to late 80's here) with mmodern Turbo's and Engine management I can't think of a single valid reason to run twins on a 7M...

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
Lol, agreed with unique. I just figured there would be that somebody out there that has this in use. Single is the way to go, but I figured there was that guy out there that built one. I still have yet to have seen it in use...

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Kyle Hartman;1873251 said:
That had to have held up for like one pull lol. Well I guess depends on boost running and if they TRUELY built internals...

Yea, I wish I had more info on this creature. I don't see how that setup would actually build any boost - it looks like it should be setup as twin compounds, yet it isn't. From what I can see it's just 4 turbos attached to 1 exhaust manifold...

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
Reminds me of the ls2 motor on YouTube. Someone put 8 turbos on it, one to each output and actually had it going. Made the block glow red after 30 seconds of running though

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Albert;1873269 said:
Kyle Hartman;1873268 said:
Reminds me of the ls2 motor on YouTube. Someone put 8 turbos on it, one to each output and actually had it going. Made the block glow red after 30 seconds of running though

How can the block turn red if the block is aluminum?

It was an LS1, not an LS2 and the exhaust manifolds glowed after a full throttle pull, not the block:

[video=youtube;3L7pJkrfct0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7pJkrfct0[/video]

Which is actually pretty normal. Supra manifolds on big boost cars glow all the time, sometimes the exhaust housing on the turbo does as well.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
I think that motor ended up in a 57-ish chevy belair or something. I have seen that pop up on facebook in it's finished form. Nice looking car, but I really think 8 turbos is excessive

Last edited by a moderator:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
veedubin;1873279 said:
I think that motor ended up in a 57-ish chevy belair or something. I have seen that pop up on facebook in it's finished form. Nice looking car, but I really think 8 turbos is excessive

Yea, it's a pretty wicked (albeit ridiculous) build:

hrdp_0411_13_z+1957_chevy_bel_air+turbochargers.jpg

hrdp_0411_07_z+1957_chevy_bel_air+turbo_engine.jpg

incin6.jpg

incin4.jpg

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
Yep, that's either a 56 or 57, 55 and under didn't have the big wings in the back. They were more straight. My grandfather has one with a small block Stroker

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
Budget=cheap as hell for now lol. Trying to finish up my daily mk3 now, looking for a 89 a/t ecu and harness as cheap as I can. Then finish it. Once that's done I am looking to start building another shell with either 1j or the "2.5jz" build

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Kyle Hartman;1873428 said:
Budget=cheap as hell for now lol. Trying to finish up my daily mk3 now, looking for a 89 a/t ecu and harness as cheap as I can. Then finish it. Once that's done I am looking to start building another shell with either 1j or the "2.5jz" build

So your budget is cheap and yet you want to go twin? That kinda clashes...lol.

And how much power do you want to make?

Regardless, with a properly sized single turbo, you should be able to make whatever power you want (as long as it's reasonable) and not have to sit outside the turbo's efficiency range for most or the time. Take the time to do the research and math.