twin turbo 7mgte

Evanderh

Mar 25, 2008
Edmonton
is it worth it to twin turbo a 7mgte or shud i just leave it a single turbo? also how much shud i bore my block and which pistons and other internals shud i go with when prepping for bigger or more turbos? only looking for helpful replies plz

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
GReddy, SARD, and HKS all made twin turbo sets for the Supra.

A frigging piping nightmare,
and I doubt if you can get any more power than you can from
a good single turbo, such as a T88, or T51Z.
But the Bling factor is fantastic !!

They usually had very small turbos, like TD-05s

You see the manifolds pop-up on eBay once in a while.
HKS had both tube, and cast iron manifolds.

Evanderh

Mar 25, 2008
Edmonton
ah ok thanks guys but i think im just going to go with a single turbo but i big ass one lol i just bought a manifold for a single turbo. sincle i already have all the piping and an intercooler. prolly be easier to do that then all that other piping for twin lol.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Evanderh;977310 said:
wat kind of power can that make? im looking to be running around 800hp when im done.

Evanderh;977356 said:
ah ok thanks guys but i think im just going to go with a single turbo but i big ass one lol i just bought a manifold for a single turbo. sincle i already have all the piping and an intercooler. prolly be easier to do that then all that other piping for twin lol.

Nice. Big single all the way man... doing 800hp on a twins setup will be a giant PITA... not impossible, but a seemingly neverending headache. A guy on Celicasupra.com did a twin turbo 7M setup, it's teh badass. Everyone told him he's crazy, but he did it anyway... almost lost his sanity in the process.

i agree with SS5000, overboring for bigger pistons will weaken the block, making those kind of power levels harder to sustain. a 0.02" overbore will give negligable hp gains from displacement in the overall scheme of things, I think.

Last edited:

Evanderh

Mar 25, 2008
Edmonton
so wat shud i do to make the block able to hold all that boost ill be puting in? i would like the engine to have alot of power by it self. but with the boost im looking at for around 800 hp. thanks for all the quick replies.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Why should it be such a big problem going twin turbo on a 7M? 1JZ is twin turbo.

I have a HKS twin turbo cast iron manifold. It's T3 flanged. It's from a car that did 450 hp for almost 15 years before it was rebuild. Very solide build.

Once my economy recovers after my complete rebuild I'll be going twin turbo 7M.

I think the key is to choose the right size turbos and don't go cheap on them either.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The stock twins are rather small, versus aftermarket twins being larger, typically not sharing the same down pipe until further down the exhaust stream, two sets of hot-side intercooler pipes to deal with and plumb, versus a stock cast y-pipe setup that a 1 or 2J has, oil line rounting, aftermarket wastegate setup (you know you're going to push them ;)), need I keep going?

That's just a few of the reason why many ditch the twin idea and go with a more simple, more efficient single setup.

As far as block prep goes, the stock block will handle what you can throw at it, just make sure you prep it well. A forged piston, specified in stock size, is typically overbored slightly to allow for proper ring seal after the bore is performed to the block. Research the brands of pistons yourself to find out the actuall specs of them.

The head gask prep is where it's at if you want to keep something that powerful from leaking into other cylinders and the water jackets. ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
1JZ parts don't fit on a 7M.

The piping for a TT setup is a nightmare - and, other than the exhaust manifold, has to be completely custom built on a 7M. It's even worse if you want to run them sequential. All this custom work would cost a lot of extra $$$ - in the thousands.

That said, if you have the wallet to back it up, the end result is impressive. Huge power levels with nice spool times and extremely wide power curves is tough to complain about.

If you want to know what to do to your engine to make it survive, go to http://www.7mpower.com and read the engine build up article written by Will Neely.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Does it bug anyone else when people come on the forum with their new supra and ask what they need to make 500 hp, 700 hp, 800 hp? I say search the forums/wed for about 6 months and then ask what you dont know... IMO.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
1992supraman;977454 said:
Does it bug anyone else when people come on the forum with their new supra and ask what they need to make 500 hp, 700 hp, 800 hp? I say search the forums/wed for about 6 months and then ask what you dont know... IMO.

It's to be expected, didn't you know that? ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
1992supraman;977454 said:
You get used to it after a while. The part that's really annoying is that 99% of the people who ask this won't actually do it, and have no clue what driving a 600hp car is like.