twin disc clutch

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
looks like it's time for a multi disc clutch. the problem is...... which one to buy
I wanted a tilton, but I can't find one for my car. I thought that a few people on here had one in their mk3, but i'm not 100% sure.
I'm looking at spec, rps, and clutchmasters. I hear that people have had problems with cm and spec.........
i'm hoping you guys will chime in with your experiences.
thanks........

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
The Tilton is $8,000 (as of last week). That was what they quoted me, as they needed to make a JZ R-154 flywheel... So I guess subtract that amount IF they make a flywheel for the 7M.

There are no other carbon clutches offered, that I know of.

I am putting in a CM850 dual disc, street/race disc clutch. Induction Performance tweaks it a bit. They recommend it for drag racing. There are bad reviews, but if you use a slip valve, you should be fine.

If you go down the road of drag launches, you will need to use a slip valve with ceramic clutches (unless you are related to John Force).

If you need a Tilton, you should build the R154. Marlin Crawler stuff will break, and is not going to last. The new PGS strait cut gears and dog box has been tested to mid 1400rwhp, and over 1000rwtq. No more slow, annoying synchros..... I am incorporating a strain gauge on the shifter for no lift shifts. Your standalone needs to be able to retard timing during shifting events.

This transmission is cheaper and better than a V160 (IMO). If you need a full sequential transmission, it's more but depending on the class you run in, only H-patterns are allowed.

Speed for sale in ATL can rebuild it for you, as the labor is included. Two business days to build it. Ask for Jerrod.

Please let him know Jeff Rainwater referred you.

Last edited:

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
wow, that is ALOT to take in. i don't really want to make it a DRAG only car. i was hoping to have a fun street car that can go to the track too.
my tuner wants me to put an auto in it, but i don't want to go that route.
my plan was to build the r154 with all the marlin crawler parts and put a twin disc in there. now i'm completely unsure of what will hold up.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
What power level are you at?

Mind sharing your mods?

Racing with an auto is very easy, and would be a lot of fun.

The problem with full Marlin Crawler builds, they still use factory gears. Plus, you are still using synchros.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
If you surpassed the single clutches ability to hold the power you are making, you are now headed into the territory of sheering 3rd gear off clean. (around 700ft. lbs, from other users experiences.)

PGS transmissions are not for drag cars only, they can be used in street cars too.

I was sick and tired of worrying. Now I'm worried about axles.

Several 7M/JZ (More MKIV NA-T folks) have already shared their experiences on Supraforums.

I do not really visit here much, and only recently to ask questions and try to help.

Depending on shipping from and to where you are, expect $5,000+ for a PGS transmission.

EDIT: saw the mods in your profile. If you are on AEM V1, I recall you may still rely on another ECU, or another device to control the automatic transmission, assuming it is a Toyota transmission. Or, upgrade your standalone.

Last edited:

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
I now has ms3pro.
quick list....

built motor, wiseco's and eagles
completely built and ported head, 272's, os valves
ffim, huge tre intercooler, 3" piping, 90mm tb, fid 1000's, walbro 450, dual feed rail
cast t4 manifold, sp quickspool valve, bws366, 3.5" exhaust
act 600ft lb single, chromoly flywheel, 1pc steel ds, beech ver 2 shifter. 15x8 welds with 275-50-15 nitto dr's

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
thanks for the help. i'm definitely thinking about the pgs parts.
I read a few posts where people had issues with the cm850 clutch. something about needing a ton of shims to make it work correctly.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
You're welcome. The shims are not a problem, really. I'm not sure how they are blamed. Unless it is difficult to take measurements, the instructions aren't too bad. Tiltons use shims, too. Clutch Master does make a spacer to get rid of most of the shims if you like.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i have the os giken ts2cd in my car. its very street friendly, has pretty high torque holding capability basically all the r154 can handle, and both disk are sprung so its little easier on things. its for a jz though so idk if you'll be able to find one for the 7m anymore. i got mine of rhdjapan.com they have great prices on twins.

heres my thread from when i was shopping for one.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?909041-aaaaahhh-i-can-t-decide-what-twin-disk-to-buy!!!!

and theres carbon clutchs for the jz/r154 or triple or quad disk os giken's on rhdjapan that will hold well over what a r154 will ever handle fyi

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I totally forgot about the Japanese options.

What torque are you making?

I will go with this option after the CM850 (900ft.lbs), if it is 100% going to hold it all.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Ill probably go with the quartermaster setup that beech performance will do. its a couple grand, but imo is probably the best setup besides the tilton. I really don't feel like spending 6k on a tilion, and you can only get it through titan as far as tiltion has told me.

I am hoping Albert gets moving on that cd009 trans swap kit and ill pick up one of those with a triple disc instead.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
1-2clutch-u;2060781 said:
Can I ask why not use spec?

I don't believe that was directed towards me, but I have a few friends that have used spec, and they have had them slip, although they were single plate clutches. It just puts a sour taste in my mouth for them. I haven't had any experience with their multi plate clutches tho, so i cant comment on that. I also don't know how they break in their clutches, i have used act single disc so far (under 500whp) and haven't had an issue besides going through them in a couple seasons, and i do a 500 mile in town break in on them before going too crazy.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Tilton is custom made for most applications. They keep very few full setups on hand but Tilton will hold just about any power the 7m or even a built 2j can throw at it.

with that said,

if going with a multi plate carbon setup. Most are custom and require a lead time.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I've mentioned it elsewhere but incase somebody is looking - I pulled the tilton triple plate out of my car and it's available. Fairly light use - .098, .102, .099" discs IIRC. This is for JZ-R154, includes mechanical push-pull conversion. Utilizes metallic discs. Way more aggressive than what I needed, so I switched to an HKS twin.

Kevin

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
1-2clutch-u;2060781 said:
Can I ask why not use spec?

Les,

I had a SPEC Twin Disk before, their hydraulic throw out bearing is PURE garbage, 40 miles and I had to pull the trans out, once I figured the issue with their extremely cheap Hydro TO, the floaters warped on me after 1,000 Miles of driving the Supra...

ClutchMasters is where it's at!!! Chris Clark has one for the 7M.. Chrisco! for sale!! buy it from him.