Turbo Timer

Oger Jr.

Jun 11, 2009
mi
Juss wanna know wat turbo timer would most likely be the best to purchase for my mkIII for a good price and decent features and all tat...any suggestions??..thanks.

Last edited:

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Oger Jr.;1381795 said:
Juss wanna know wat turbo timer would most likely be the best to purchase for my mkIII for a good price and decent features and all tat...any suggestions??..thanks.

Save your money. Just don't boost for the last 2 or 3 minutes before you shut it down., Or switch to synthetic oil.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Well from what i understand they all do the same thing lol?
The greddy and hks TT's dont have any extra features from what
i understand, and there around the same price...

Only difference is looks.

And for $100 spent, id have no problem doing so
knowing that ill be saving a $1000 turbo...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
hks has the auto feature that checks how hard youve run your car and will set the amount of time needed for cool down.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Love my HKS. The auto timer is a great feature, and it has a built in voltmeter with peak alarms. Also I use mine for quick stops where I don't want to shut off the car, atm, post office, ect. I can lock the doors take my keys and have it run till I get back with the A/C blowing.

There is also nothing like the looks people give you when it shuts itself off.:biglaugh:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
You don't need a turbo timer, just don't shut the car off if you have just boosted, no biggie. It really is never actually needed you can just use your head.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
ms07s;1381977 said:
There is also nothing like the looks people give you when it shuts itself off.:biglaugh:
:biglaugh:Agreed. I get this all the time in my small town.

GotTurbos?;1382071 said:
You don't need a turbo timer, just don't shut the car off if you have just boosted, no biggie. It really is never actually needed you can just use your head.

I know how to use my head, but that doesn't mean I trust anyone else who drives my car (mainly the wife, and I always get nervous). Or who drove the car before I bought it.

Besides, it's also nice for some of the short drives when you couldn't otherwise get the car up to op temp before you have to shut it down.

It's a hundred bucks. You just spent (tens of) thousands or more on your car/motor/turbos/whatever. What's another $100?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Since I'm NA, you guys with your turbo timers sound crazy to me.

Something I have always wondered though, how easy do these make it to steal the car? I have to imagine they don't play too big of a role since they are so common and popular. Just the idea of leaving my car running for 5 minutes after I walk away scares me.

Is it easy to steal or will the TT shut off even if they drive away and make it just as hard to steal if it wasn't there. Or, once the TT is in control can it just be yanked/beaten leaving the car running? Can the car be driven once the TT is in control until the timer counts down and shuts off?

Would it be possible for the owner to turn the car off, TT kicks in for a 5 minute timer. A thief sees this, smashes the window and takes the car 5 minutes around the corner and stashes it? Or, does the TT just idle the engine and nothing beyond that is possible?

Not that I expect detailed answers on how to steal a car under TT control...

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No. Once you drop the e-brake handle the timer kills the motor and, if the e-brake is not engaged it won't idle the motor for you. They also have another connection for autos but, I never hooked it up (5-speed) but it hooks to the shifter. It's not a necessary item by any means, but it serves a great purpose for those of us who want to get out of the car and get to work, school, lunch, bathroom, ect without the worry of cool down time. Its for your convenience, nothing more. I would be happy to pay 2X what I paied for mine for the ways I have employed this simple device.

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I bought a set of 3 osiris gauges, Oil pressure, Water temp and Voltage. the voltage meter is also a turbo timer, kinda kick ass if you ask me, just wish i could program it for longer.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
ms07s;1382255 said:
No. Once you drop the e-brake handle the timer kills the motor and, if the e-brake is not engaged it won't idle the motor for you. They also have another connection for autos but, I never hooked it up (5-speed) but it hooks to the shifter. It's not a necessary item by any means, but it serves a great purpose for those of us who want to get out of the car and get to work, school, lunch, bathroom, ect without the worry of cool down time. Its for your convenience, nothing more. I would be happy to pay 2X what I paied for mine for the ways I have employed this simple device.

Bypassing the simple ebrake handle switch seems like no big deal though. If that is the only thing keeping the TT running its not secure I think. Even driving with the Ebrake on would be possible. Unless there TT is keeping the rpm at idle only?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Once the signal is interuped the car dies. My HKS unit can't start the car like a remote start system (some of which offer a turbo timer option). And anyway without the key in the ignition you will lock the steering wheel (as I do when I park anyway) when you try to pull out. Most people do the timer for auto time that typicaly last 30sec-5min depending on driving. And who tries to drive off with a auto in park or a 5-speed with the e-brake up?

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
^Like he said some turbo timers vary from 30 seconds to whatever it takes to get the job done depending on how you drive. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to try and break into your car in broad daylight unless they are just really stupid or on drugs. Your not going to be able to bypass the timer. And even if they did somehow get in and drive away they wouldn't get far without it just shutting off on them. Also take in the steering lock. I would personally watch a dumbass try and drive off in my car, then when they get about 5 feet and the steering locks i'll go out and whoop their ass then call the cops.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I put a TT on my 89 back in 1998 as one of the very first things I ever did. My factory original turbo now has over 186,000 miles with no problems (I bought the car with 50,000 miles). An ounce of prevention is worth the trivial $100.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Maybe I'm just insane but it still seems like a weak link to me.

Yes, people are crazy enough or on drugs and cars do get broken into during the daylight. Not sure what that means anyways as I'm sure a lot of turbo timers are used at night.

Being able to drive the car for 5 minutes even with the Ebrake(how many people properly adjust them anyways) on would give the thief a chance to get a couple miles from the place you left the car. They drive it 2 blocks away and throw a car cover on it and wait to come back to steal it proper.

The steering lock isn't that strong either and can be broken.

I won't continue this as it won't go anywhere. Maybe living in AZ has me paranoid over car theft, it is pretty high here. Just was curious and so far have gotten my answer about the TT being a risk.