TURBO overheating HELP!

D51208

Apr 22, 2014
Oswego
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my turbo. It is getting hot and not cooling down. I'll let it sit for 1-2 minutes before shutting it down and it seems to just build heat even more. IE my side panels nearly burn you when touching them on the outside of the car and the shiny part of the turbo is becoming discolored. My water temperature gauge has been reading normal and consistent below the half way spot. I always let it sit for a period of time before shutting it off even before this problem. I have no clue about previous owners of the car though. I've had for about 1000 miles, give or take a few hundred. I have put some clean and flush stuff into my radiator. Hopefully it works. If not anyone have any ideas? Any chance this problem could replicate if I throw in another turbo?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What side panels?

Everything in that area is generally super hot considering the turbo is over 1300* at operating temp.

If it were glowing red you could have a clogged cat issue.

D51208

Apr 22, 2014
Oswego
Side panel on the side where the turbo is, the whole wheel well panel there. Oh yeah they do get pretty hot, but I mean for some reason it's not cooling down. Like a few weeks ago, even after beating on the car it would cool down much past the point it is now, at about 8psi. Don't get me wrong it would be damn hot. Now it's rocking like 4-5psi and barley even driven in boost and she is really really hot. She hasnt started glowing red but it is discoloring the metal a bit like it's starting to glow and making weird sounds when shut off, kind of like the sound a wood stove makes when it's hot. Crappy description but it's the only thing I can compare it to.

It very well could be the cat. She has 190k on the clock, so it could be any number of things. Thanks for the post!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Take a shot of your engine bay... and post it up.

Wondering if you have the heat shields removed. I wouldn't touch a turbo after it ran... for a long time... lol. They get super hot... but that's just nature of the beast. If it aint glowing.. you should be fine.

whenever you post a question.. how about tossing us a hint.. what you driving? lol

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'm so confused. Are you saying the fenders are too hot to touch? Or are you talking about the heat shields or ? Eliminate the confusion, go take pics and point at what you are concerned about. If you're talking about the heat shields, yes they get insanely hot and take an eternity to cool down. If you're referring to a tin-y popping or pinging sound that's normal. Boost dropping down (or more accurately getting a little more boost when its cold outside) is pretty normal as well.

Things retain heat for longer when its warmer out. Overall doesn't sound like much cause for concern. Post up those pics to double check.

D51208

Apr 22, 2014
Oswego
IMG_20140514_151929.jpgIMG_20140514_151929.jpgIMG_20140514_151918.jpgHowdy everyone, again I know the turbo get's hot normally, but like I said it was hotter than normal. The problem has since gone away after using the clean and flush and the boost has increased again. Clogged or partially clogged water line to the turbo maybe? Today is the hottest day it has been in a while as well and she has been much cooler. The outside of the car panel was to hot to touch, where I am pointing in the photo. Again, today was hotter and the problem is not there anymore. The panel is hot from the sun but near as hot as it was the other day. Hopefully the problem stays gone!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
If it's down to 4-5 psi and getting hot it sounds like the cat is clogged. Any check engine light? If the car is running rich it will overheat the cat and melt the internals. So will retarded timing. I don't see the turbo heat shield in your photo, try to find one.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I think what he is talking about is normal. The MKIII platform seems to put out copious amount of heat. After a drive the fenders and hood are way to hot to wax. If I return to the garage about 10-20 minutes later you can feel the heat radiation into the garage. I could be wrong but I think that is what he is talking about.

And yes the noises are normal after shutdown.

If you don't have a heat shield I would get one.