turbo hitting hood

1987mk3

Dec 23, 2008
mosinee
i have a turbo that i clocked it so the compressor housing is shooting up and now its hitting the hood...if i turn the turbo either way its still going to hit something or my 90 degree elbow won't fit and clocking it down would make the turbo rubbing against the mani b/c the housing is too fat or big...so anything would be helpful

1987mk3

Dec 23, 2008
mosinee
i don't know if this would help...i used a peice of wood to see if it hits and it hits but i remember the hood has a hump in the middle so yeah any ideas??

p1234557_1.jpg

p1234557_2.jpg

p1234557_3.jpg

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
I had the same problem so my comp housing is pointing straight up. Well, slightly left of straight up. No bonnet hitting issues. Then my IC piping goes around the strut tower. I shoulda just got a spacer flange, woulda made it much easier.... :)

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
From the looks of those pics, I can say with about 80% confidence that that pipe will not hit the hood. I have a 3" pipe running over the top of the engine that sits higher than that. The only concern with the height of that specific setup is a rib on the passenger side of the hood (about 1/3 of the way from the pass side, runs diagonally).

That being said, it looks like you are using a generic ebay SS manifold. I am using the same type of manifold. I cut the turbo flange off and rewelded it at a slight angle on a horizontal plane towards the head light and rotated it away (counter clock-wise when looking at it from the front) from the engine on an axis parallel with the engine/crank/cams. I also used a T4 flange as a spacer. For reference, this is with a 62-1 Turbonetics turbo.

I have mine shooting down towards the shock tower. Ideally, it would be straight down but I had issues with the manifold runners. I was able to put a 90 degree elbow on it and shoot it back under the power steering pump. Another two angles (45 and 45 I believe) make it end up inline with the length of the car and heading straight for the intercooler.

Plumbing intercooler pipes can be a pain, but if you get them setup right the first time, it makes all the difference.