turbo hater lol

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Reading that makes me think that guy is an idiot. Its to bad there isnt some way to confirm that the writer of an article actually knows what hes talking about before it gets posted

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I got to the part where he was starting to explain lag. He said to assume the turbo and engine is idling, and "the boost pressure is ZERO." I didn't expect the rest to be good for my health.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
lol yea me and this guy at my school got into an argument over turbos vs superchargers. the fact that he couldnt even tell me how a supercharger works made him look like a idiot

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
His comment about why turbos aren't used on straight line cars is WRONG. Turbos were banned from top fuel because they completely dominated over the supercharged rails...

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
...superchargers are more mathematically predictable? In terms of understanding operation, yes. In terms of actually doing the airflow calculations and sizing based on maps? No. then again, i've only done turbos.

That article wasn't worth the internet it's printed on.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
pparrigo;1572192 said:
...superchargers are more mathematically predictable? In terms of understanding operation, yes. In terms of actually doing the airflow calculations and sizing based on maps? No. then again, i've only done turbos.

That article wasn't worth the internet it's printed on.

I've done both....

This:
engineleft.jpg

and this:
bling2.jpg

And I'll tell you flat out the author is, for lack of a better term, a completely fucking ignorant moron.

There's nothing unpredictable about a turbocharger, as the motor above lasted for a season and a half before a driver error killed it. It set and held the low ET and high MPH in it's class for one of those years...

What is 100% predictable, is that a supercharger is about 40% efficient at the overdriven speeds and boost levels they are run at for drag racing. However, for a large displacement engine (In the case above a Keith Black Stage XV Hemi on methanol) it's a good way to generate a massive amount of torque off the line.

It all depends on what you're doing, and whether or not you know what you're doing.

He's probably a carburetor guy who understands fuck all about electronics and engine management so since he's not bright enough to understand how to setup a turbo car, it must be bad.

In reality, either one is a bitch to setup at the power levels the two motors above are working at, you have to know what you're doing in either case.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, and a turbo does impact power a bit as well as it's a restriction on the exhaust. Regardless, the efficiency numbers for a turbo kick the crap out of all but one supercharger (rotrex, and even it's not as efficient).