Turbo drain into oil cooler drain?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Just wondering if anybody has had success with draining their turbo into the stock oil cooler return location on the pan? Did some searching and some people thought it was too low in the pan, others said it was fine. I am using an NA block for my build, so I won't have the stock drain location available, and don't want to drill it. I on't have the stock cooler, so I the stock cooler return is available, but is it in an appropriate location or am I better off welding a bung in higher up on the pan? Also, this will be with a CT26.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I believe you would not want the bung to rest where oil would be as you would end up with a line that will get backed up. What you need to do is put it up highest to the top under the mounting flange obviously without blocking a bolt hole.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I have been using the cooler drain for over 5k miles, Devin and others even longer. Even with 6 quarts in the pan (head could easily hold an entire quart) still had a 2-3 inches. You could drill out the stock squirter and drain location. NA block are the way to go. Their cheaper and usually in better shape.

p1802238_1.jpg

topekamk3

Nov 4, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm planning to do this with my na-t build. If it worked for oil cooler return, a turbo oil return should be no different.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Great, that's what I needed to know, thanks mecevans. Do you remember off hand what the size of the bung is for the pan? My pan is at the machine shop right now.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
topekamk3;1802633 said:
I'm planning to do this with my na-t build. If it worked for oil cooler return, a turbo oil return should be no different.

Only difference is if the the oil cooler return is blocked nothing will happen.

If the turbo oil drain is blocked its going to dump all the oil out the exhaust and cause massive amounts of smoke.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I used the driftmotion na-t kit. It has a -10an weld on bung. You could weld it anywhere you want really. I used a drill bit the same size as the bung, then used it as an alignment dowel.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
mecevans;1802790 said:
I used the driftmotion na-t kit. It has a -10an weld on bung. You could weld it anywhere you want really. I used a drill bit the same size as the bung, then used it as an alignment dowel.

Well said.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
mecevans;1802790 said:
Not sure what you mean, did you not use the stock bung?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I would drain it on the road for when you are trying to escape the baddies..... good old oil slick

Na Na Na Na Batman

ps there is one con about this, you may have to add oil about every 1/4 mile or sooner ..........