Turbo and ECU questions

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Will a t3 bolt to the stock exhaust manifold for a 7mgte? I want to got NA-t with a t3 turbo but i cant seem to find a t3 manifold. Also, can a Megasquirt be used on the Mk3s?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
87mk111;1461760 said:
Will a t3 bolt to the stock exhaust manifold for a 7mgte?

No.

87mk111;1461760 said:
I want to got NA-t with a t3 turbo but i cant seem to find a t3 manifold.

That's because most turbos with a T3 manifold are tiny little things made for 4 bangers. You're going to find that just about everything for a Supra is based upon a T4 (or larger) flanged turbo.

87mk111;1461760 said:
Also, can a Megasquirt be used on the Mk3s?

Can it? Yes. Based upon the kind of questions you're asking, I strongly suggest you do some reading before you try something that ambitious.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
87mk111;1516797 said:
Ok, well what would u recommend set up wise for 400hp?
You don't need a standalone for 400hp, You can do several things... HKS VPC with a SAFC, MAFT Pro, I got a pretty decent tune out of a maft basic at 375-400hp range when I use to run that. I'm pretty sure a few people have made it with SAFC alone... It comes down to how much money you want to spend and your knowledge base.

Along with the rest of the mods you need to run at that level safely.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Nice lookin SUpra Jesse. Are u over on ohiosupras.org? Cuz there's a Supra on there that looks like yours. Back to the topic at hand. How much does a MAFT Pro usually run? I'm not really sure of what kind of setup I want to run yet, I used to be a Honda guy, so I'm used to N/A stuff.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Before you go off and buy anything, make sure you do your best to research all of your options. What's your budget? Do you have your heart set on an aftermarket turbo and manifold? If you need to save some $$, it may be cheaper to find a modified CT26, maybe a .57 trim, here on the forums and use that. ((Can a GTE exhaust manifold fit on a GE head? he said he was going NA-T...)) Have you heard much on the Lex / 550 mod? It may not get you quite to 400whp, but it's a good bang for the buck. Here's some links for further reading...

http://rob.carlile.home.mchsi.com/lexus/lexus1.htm
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97699-Guide-Installing-Lexus-AFM-550s-and-AFPR

Now, there's a million ways to get your goal... This is just one of them that a good handful of guys have done on here.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Reiketsukan;1519006 said:
Before you go off and buy anything, make sure you do your best to research all of your options. What's your budget? Do you have your heart set on an aftermarket turbo and manifold? If you need to save some $$, it may be cheaper to find a modified CT26, maybe a .57 trim, here on the forums and use that. ((Can a GTE exhaust manifold fit on a GE head? he said he was going NA-T...)) Have you heard much on the Lex / 550 mod? It may not get you quite to 400whp, but it's a good bang for the buck. Here's some links for further reading...

http://rob.carlile.home.mchsi.com/lexus/lexus1.htm
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97699-Guide-Installing-Lexus-AFM-550s-and-AFPR

Now, there's a million ways to get your goal... This is just one of them that a good handful of guys have done on here.

Well I just got a new job an will be making at least twice as much as my job, so money won't really be that big of a deal anymore, but I would like to try and keep the build under 5k. I have decided to go with a gte swap no instead of na-t and I', pretty set on a 57 trim ct26. I basically just need to know about supporting mods and electronics. Btw, I am familiar with the Lexus/550cc upgrade and plan on doing that.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Excellent! Congrats on the new job!
Those links do a great of of going into great detail concerning what you'll need to do for the Lex / 550 mod. but as far as supporting mods, you'll want to look into installing a nice metal head gasket and ARP headstuds on the engine you swap in. ((Maybe put it on before you swap the new engine in, should be easier)), pick a downpipe to get rid of the stock turbo elbow and get a good 3" exhaust, pick an aftermarket intercooler you like as well as aluminum charge pipes and an aftermarket BOV of your choice. A electronic boost controller would aslo be a good investment, as well as a new clutch and pressure plate if you're running a 5-speed. If you'd like some brand recommendations, I'd be happy to tell you what I've had good luck with. You might also consider doing this mod for your new fuel pump...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...all-with-12VRelay-all-in-one-thread-with-Pics

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Thanks for all the info. Here's a basic list of the mods i plan on doing. Bic 3" downpipe, Test pipe. 3in Blitz exhaust, Metal Headgasket, Lexus/550cc, w58 to r154 swap, new clutch/pressure plate, lightweight flywheel, Fmic with hard pipes. I also heard that u can make a manual boost comtroller for like 4 bucks with two nipple fittings, a spring, and a ball bearing. If I want to use a divorced down pipe, do I need an aftermarket BOV?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
87mk111;1518895 said:
Nice lookin SUpra Jesse. Are u over on ohiosupras.org? Cuz there's a Supra on there that looks like yours. Back to the topic at hand. How much does a MAFT Pro usually run? I'm not really sure of what kind of setup I want to run yet, I used to be a Honda guy, so I'm used to N/A stuff.
thanks, yea I'm on ohiosupras, I just don't post too much.

87mk111;1519076 said:
Thanks for all the info. Here's a basic list of the mods i plan on doing. Bic 3" downpipe, Test pipe. 3in Blitz exhaust, Metal Headgasket, Lexus/550cc, w58 to r154 swap, new clutch/pressure plate, lightweight flywheel, Fmic with hard pipes. I also heard that u can make a manual boost comtroller for like 4 bucks with two nipple fittings, a spring, and a ball bearing. If I want to use a divorced down pipe, do I need an aftermarket BOV?
Regaurdless what downpipe you use it has nothing to do with the BOV.

As far as the lightweight flywheel goes, I am personally not a fan of them... you loose rotating mass, but it also decreases the load on motor which can increase spool time. IMO it would be better for you to spend that money on a 1 piece driveshaft rather than the flywheel. just an idea.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
You'll need an aftermarket BOV regardless of your down pipe due to the higher level of boost you'll be running. ((do you have BOV confused with wastegate?) I have a BIC divorced downpipe and I love it, but some people say its too loud for them. With my HKS Sport exhaust, it's actually pretty quiet until I get into boost, and much quieter than your average riced-out 4-banger with a fart cannon. If you really want one, but don't like the noise, you can always find a recirculated one. Manual boost controllers, although somewhat popular, are not without their risks. It would really be worth while to invest in an electronic controller considering what your goals are. It's easy to save $$ on all these extras... I've gotten almost all of my parts used and in great condition off of the classifieds here!

And, can someone chime-in with the differences between the NA rear end and the Turbo rear end? I can't remember if they have the same gearing or not...

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
I was confusing wastegate and bov. I like loud exhaust, it does not bother me one bit. My Supra basically has a straight pipe from the manifold back to the muffler as it is right now and i like the sound of it. I have the 4.30 gear Lsd NA rear end.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
87mk111;1519091 said:
I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice. I've definately saved a bunch of your pictures from ohiosupras on my hard drive.
lol I haven't updated any pics there in awhile

Reiketsukan;1519092 said:
You'll need an aftermarket BOV regardless of your down pipe due to the higher level of boost you'll be running. ((do you have BOV confused with wastegate?) I have a BIC divorced downpipe and I love it, but some people say its too loud for them. With my HKS Sport exhaust, it's actually pretty quiet until I get into boost, and much quieter than your average riced-out 4-banger with a fart cannon. If you really want one, but don't like the noise, you can always find a recirculated one. Manual boost controllers, although somewhat popular, are not without their risks. It would really be worth while to invest in an electronic controller considering what your goals are. It's easy to save $$ on all these extras... I've gotten almost all of my parts used and in great condition off of the classifieds here!

And, can someone chime-in with the differences between the NA rear end and the Turbo rear end? I can't remember if they have the same gearing or not...
A quality MBC will work just fine, you just don't have a lot of the versatility a EBC has.

87mk111;1519096 said:
I was confusing wastegate and bov. I like loud exhaust, it does not bother me one bit. My Supra basically has a straight pipe from the manifold back to the muffler as it is right now and i like the sound of it. I have the 4.30 gear Lsd NA rear end.
I ran my 4.30 for almost two years with my turbo setup untill i got tired of it last summer and went to a 3.9. First gear was useless with the 4.30.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
87mk111;1519103 said:
yeah the 4.30 is kinda high gearing. In snow, I can do donuts from a dead stop in 3rd gear. BTW, what are the MBC and EBC?
When I had the 4.30 I broke the tires loose on dry pavement going from 4th to 3rd while rolling at 50. :icon_bigg

MBC is manual boost controller, EBC is electronic boost controller.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Isn't it true that a MBC's setting can change due to atmospheric conditions? Such as a particularly warm day or cool night? Or is that just a report from people not using quality MBC's?