tunning for dummies!!!!(can anyone help)

pearlwhite turbo

booost'nnnnnn
Oct 8, 2006
philadelphia
I've been looking all over the forums to find a good source for "learning how to tune". Can any one point me in the right direction? Is there another source for noob's? I just got a Maft-pro, I also have a SAFC a freind gave to me. I see you can combine them both but is it worth it?

I know this is some NOOOOOB sH**t, but I won't learn unless I ask.

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
They will do the same thing, install the MAFT-PRO, buy a wideband, and sell the SAFC. Then do some reading on how to tune under WOT to your desired A/F ratio.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
pearlwhite turbo said:
I've been looking all over the forums to find a good source for "learning how to tune". Can any one point me in the right direction? Is there another source for noob's? I just got a Maft-pro, I also have a SAFC a freind gave to me. I see you can combine them both but is it worth it?

I know this is some NOOOOOB sH**t, but I won't learn unless I ask.

if you don't understand what you're doing, you're going to do some damage. the only thing i can recommend is finding a knowledgeable car-guy or tuner in your area that's willing to help you....you need to learn the basics- how a car works, what each tuning device does, etc. then move on to what happens when you change things, etc. i CANNOT recommend attempting to do anything w/o the proper knowledge....

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
All I've ever heard from people who teach themselves to tune is "you blow up alot of your own stuff before you get it right." And when they use the term "popping engines", you know its going to be expensive.

So in short, seconding drjonez: find someone who knows what they're doing to teach you the basics.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Want to get rid of that SAFC? I would like one... but back on topic, in order to tune you gotta have a good understanding of all the electronics on your vehicle for one thing, and then you gotta know what each device does, and how it operates. Once you get a good grasp on that, you can figure out what needs to be changed in order to get what your looking for.

Example - I know plenty of people that have wired potentiometers on their rear O2 sensor in order to play around with their A/F mixture without the help of any chips or controllers... just need the basic understanding of how everything works - then you can start to change things in order to lie to your ECU and send it a signal of your own, rather than having a sensor send out the real signal. (that goes for vehicles in general)

Just don't do anything if you don't know exactly what your doing, have someone with some experience give you a helping hand.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
If you are definetly going to take the step of doing a tune, then get everything hooked up, make sure that everything is set to 0 or whatever (no changes). until you get a wideband don't change anything. Without the A/F ratio you can't see whats going on. But you can get all the devices working in preparation for the tune

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
i'm going to be using an hks vpc, so i'll never have a "sweet spot," correct? changes in temperature and humidity will effect the useability of the vpc..or so they say :chicken:

-Chris

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
/\ not exactly. you can use an safc and help fine tune things. if you are just using a vpc its a very rough tune.

the safc is something i would definately not just sell especially if you arent sure how you are going to tune things.

and dr.j just because its not a maft-pro setup try not to bash too much without explaining things to people.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Theres 3 *basic* areas that you will have to mess with to "tune" your car. Fuel, timing and boost. You MUST start conservative with all of them to avoid a boom.
Ive only messed with the maft-pro a little, but it seems very user friendly. All i can say is start out with stock spec timing and boost and work your way up. AFR's NEED to be monitored whether it be an in-car wideband, or on a dyno. Its not rocket science, but its not for the timid either. If youre really uncomfortable with it, see if a professional would be willing to show you the basics as he tunes your car on a dyno....

pearlwhite turbo

booost'nnnnnn
Oct 8, 2006
philadelphia
Slow66 said:
Theres 3 *basic* areas that you will have to mess with to "tune" your car. Fuel, timing and boost. You MUST start conservative with all of them to avoid a boom.
Ive only messed with the maft-pro a little, but it seems very user friendly. All i can say is start out with stock spec timing and boost and work your way up. AFR's NEED to be monitored whether it be an in-car wideband, or on a dyno. Its not rocket science, but its not for the timid either. If youre really uncomfortable with it, see if a professional would be willing to show you the basics as he tunes your car on a dyno....

Thank's, I'll wire it up and see what's really Goood:icon_:evil2:

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
talk to jeff tamilus or JTamilus i believe on sm.. he's a wicked cool and extremely knowledgable guy who im sure if you asked nicely he'd walk you through the basics or atleast point you in the right direction

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
let me suggest a really good book your understanding the basics of engine management and tuning the book is called "how to tune and modify engine management systems" Is by a fellow named Jeff Hartman and its a really good read it cost 30.00 bucks and can be found at most barns and noble its worth every cent if for nothing more than a referance guide for different formulas like injector sizing and what not.

pearlwhite turbo

booost'nnnnnn
Oct 8, 2006
philadelphia
themadhatter said:
let me suggest a really good book your understanding the basics of engine management and tuning the book is called "how to tune and modify engine management systems" Is by a fellow named Jeff Hartman and its a really good read it cost 30.00 bucks and can be found at most barns and noble its worth every cent if for nothing more than a referance guide for different formulas like injector sizing and what not.

Thanks man I Just got the book today great resour:biglaugh: ce

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
Check out page 13 its got an awsome pic of a twinturbo 7m that makes 900hp built by norwood performance. Only thing i don't like about the book is how so many of the projects use motec and motec is noware near what your average user is going to be useing.

pearlwhite turbo

booost'nnnnnn
Oct 8, 2006
philadelphia
themadhatter said:
Check out page 13 its got an awsome pic of a twinturbo 7m that makes 900hp built by norwood performance. Only thing i don't like about the book is how so many of the projects use motec and motec is noware near what your average user is going to be useing.

Nice:love:

irocznissan

May 28, 2006
nj
hey if ur from philadelphia i could make a trip to tune it on my laptop...but if i cant look for a steven pearson...es pretty well known for his tunes aon turbo cars.. he drives a 240 in conshahocken...

pearlwhite turbo

booost'nnnnnn
Oct 8, 2006
philadelphia
this book is the best to for any novice tuner, thanks for the recommendation
themadhatter. I've been looking for spec's on Norwoods supra but can't find a thing on the wed not even on there website.