Tried to search but came up empty... how long does it take to change a stock ct-26

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars. I am doing a tt swap/rebuild on a z32 and rebuilding my 7mgte (for mechanical reference)
I have someone local buying my ct26 and they want me to install it too. I want an idea of how long it will take so I know what to charge... also are there any special tools that would make this easier?

Thanks in advance for help!

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Some of the nuts are really uncomfortable to get to and that's what takes time, specially if you don't install things in a proper order. It is possible to even do it under one hour if you work really fast.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
If you have to ask, you have never done it, its going to be a bitch.
Taking them off is ok, but i swear the first time I tried to put one back on, the oil lines alone took a couple hrs.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Remove air intake accordion hose and AFM
Remove upper intercooler pipe
Remove turbo head shield
unplug o2 sensor
remove 4 nuts holding the turbo elbow on
loosen lower intercooler hose clamp and pull pipe off
loosen the hose clamps to the two coolant lines that go to the turbo/thermostat housing and pull the hoses off (sometimes helps to twist hose with pair of regular pliers)
remove two nuts that hold turbo drain onto block, remove banjo bolt on turbo feed line on the block
Remove 4 nuts holding turbo onto manifold
Remove turbo

Installation do it backwards but make sure to wipe off the block surface on oil feed line and remove old gasket on the drain and replace them (they will be a bitch but is worth it otherwise you might end up with a leak and have to do it all over again

Its pretty straight forward

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Just to add my $.02 on this.

Use some anti seize on the bolts (down pipe and manifold).

Make sure you use a new GENUINE Toyota parts for:

-Oil drain gasket
-Oil feed / drain (combo) gasket
-Oil feed copper crush washers on the oil feed line
-Turbo to manifold gasket
-Down pipe to turbine gasket

Take your time. Clean out the entire oil feed & drain tube with some pipe cleaners, compressed air, and brake cleaner while off the turbo. Be sure to clean the banjo bolt to.

PRIME the turbo before you start the car.

Replace the accordion hose if it is brittle or breaking apart.

Be sure that you have all rags accounted for (just like a surgeon.) One rag into a compressor wheel @ 100,000 rpms makes a real mess.

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
MDCmotorsports;1641019 said:
Just to add my $.02 on this.

Use some anti seize on the bolts (down pipe and manifold).

Make sure you use a new GENUINE Toyota parts for:

-Oil drain gasket
-Oil feed / drain (combo) gasket
-Oil feed copper crush washers on the oil feed line
-Turbo to manifold gasket
-Down pipe to turbine gasket

Take your time. Clean out the entire oil feed & drain tube with some pipe cleaners, compressed air, and brake cleaner while off the turbo. Be sure to clean the banjo bolt to.

PRIME the turbo before you start the car.

Replace the accordion hose if it is brittle or breaking apart.

Be sure that you have all rags accounted for (just like a surgeon.) One rag into a compressor wheel @ 100,000 rpms makes a real mess.

Is priming the turbo the same as the motor? Do I just take out the fuel pump relay and crank for a few mins? Thanks for that reply, I forgot about priming!

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
The oil line o-ring is a bitch to put it in. It took me an hour and some change for just that o-ring. Btw, if this is your first time getting greasy, always expect double or even triple time compared to someone has experience and right tools.