Transmission (R154) Issue...

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Ok, I am having a problem with my transmission. (I did search, but only came up with the opposite to my problem)

When the clutch is depressed all the way to the floor while running, there is a grinding/rubbing noise. You can also feel it through the pedal. When you let off the clutch pedal, everything is fine, engine idles fine and no noise. Press the pedal to the floor again, and the grinding noise is heard. It cannot be put into gear when running (or at least its very hard, didnt wanna force it), but it goes into all gears when not running.. If you put it into gear when not running, push the clutch in all the way, and crank it, the car jerks forward, which leads me to believe that the clutch is not disengaging.

I have installed a new master cylinder, new slave cylinder, put new fluid in it, and bled the system... Motor and tranny were pulled out recently to do a BHG job and freshen up the motor. I put back the same clutch, pp, flywheel, etc since the previous owner said they had been replaced, and they looked like they hadnt been used much...

Any ideas on what could be the problem? I will be looking through the inspection plates tomorrow, then drop the transmission sometime soon depending on what is seen, or what advice is given. Thanks in advance.

fM11v

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Snap ring on the throwout bearing hub assemble came off from wear (unlikely) or incorrect assemble (likely).

Pull inspection plates to make sure, but I bet your clutch fork is grinding against the pressure plate.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind, if it is the snap ring that came off, usually it machines it's way off the hub meaning hub replacement.

It's best to replace all the parts of the assembly and put them back together exactly as shown in the TSRM. Anything less and it may (more than likely WILL) fail again in short order.

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Yea, im probably going to drop the transmission this weekend and work on it over thanksgiving break. I'll go ahead and change out everything, just to be sure, even though the clutch and pp currently in it has little to no use on it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I doubt the clutch and pressure plate are the issue. You can reuse them if they're fairly new. I'd replace the throw out bearing and double check the parts Poo mentioned.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Incorrect "FREE PLAY" adjustment on the clutch pedal can cause your condition iirc.

(TOO tight is NG. MUST have free play per TSRM.)

G/L!

-crisp

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
crisp;1453620 said:
Incorrect "FREE PLAY" adjustment on the clutch pedal can cause your condition iirc.

(TOO tight is NG. MUST have free play per TSRM.)

G/L!

-crisp

Yea, I was asking my dad about that, since i saw it in the TSRM. I will probably check the adjustment just in case, before i drop the tranny.

suprahero;1453594 said:
I doubt the clutch and pressure plate are the issue. You can reuse them if they're fairly new. I'd replace the throw out bearing and double check the parts Poo mentioned.

Will do. Hopefully the rubbing isnt affecting the clutch and pp, cause they were literally brand new, the pp was unused...

Dani87x;1453861 said:
Im having the same problem.. fml. Ill keep posted on this thread for info and help!

Ahhhh. I searched through 20+ pgs only to find ppl with the opposite problem: Noise when pedal is released, goes away when pedal is depressed. Hope the thread helps both you and I! I'll post up what happens when the problem is solved.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seems to be a common problem because people assume it doesn't matter. When the assembly is done properly, the hub is pretty rigidly mounted to the PP and won't rattle or move around easily.

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Poodles;1452765 said:
Keep in mind, if it is the snap ring that came off, usually it machines it's way off the hub meaning hub replacement.

It's best to replace all the parts of the assembly and put them back together exactly as shown in the TSRM. Anything less and it may (more than likely WILL) fail again in short order.

Sorry for the late update, but I did get the problem solved. As Poodles said, the problem was likely improper assembly, and it was. The PO had not assembled everything back correctly, so we had to go back and disassemble, then reassemble everything back according to the TSRM. Transmission works perfectly fine now. Big thanks to Poodles, Suprahero, etc who posted in the thread with help!

I do have another problem though relating to the turbo. It doesnt seem to be boosting at all and the car doesnt have much power, even with the pedal to the floor. The car did previously register boost on the gauge, but it didnt seem to pull hard like my other turbo car. Now no boost pressure on gauge and feels like it has no power. I had heard about compressor surge before, so I watched some videos about it on YouTube. When I was driving earlier when it was boosting, I would hear somewhat of a flutter sound after releasing the throttle, kind of like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM

My questions are: 1. Is it normal to hear the turbo through the intake filter when revving it at a standstill/w.o load? 2. Do I possibly have a boost leak somewhere or is my stock BOV bad, if so, does the "blow through it to see if its good" test work? Thanks in advance :biglaugh: