translation from german family crest.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
My dad just e-mailed this to me yesterday. It belonged to my great great grandfather that immagrated here from germany in the early 1900's. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to give me a good translation.
p1194310_1.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There are tons of free translation sites on the world wide web. Have you tried one of those? Good luck.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
I'm German, I'll do it for you in a little bit if you want. You happen to have a little bigger picture of just the writing?

EDIT:

Elzner

The name can be found in different spellings. Oelßner, Olßner, Elsner, etc.
The house originates from Silesia. Oldest known and traceable ancestor was Joachim Oelßner from Baulau, born 1581 - deceased 1635.
A branch was ennobled on this date the 20th February 1693 in Silesia with "E. von Bronow", another in Austria with "von Zierenwitz".
Coat of Arms: In silver, a blue lion, above it in the blue top of the plate, 3 golden stars. Crowned helmet with yellow-blue and blue-white eagle flight.

This word 'eagle flight' (Adlerflug) sounds funny... it's old school German so I couldn't find proper translation for it. I translated it literally. Looking at the coat of arms it does make sense. Best I could do :)

Last edited:

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Well, it worked out without a bigger picture. I copied it into a new tab and it was bigger there, so it's all good... other than maybe the lack of old school German vocabulary on my side ;)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
suprahero;1194446 said:
There are tons of free translation sites on the world wide web. Have you tried one of those? Good luck.

Those online translations always seem to come out wrong, i gave my dad a test and took some random japanese car dealer website and translated it and printed out the two sheets one translated and one not, the mistakes were so bad it wasnt even funny.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
TopSecret;1194696 said:
Well, it worked out without a bigger picture. I copied it into a new tab and it was bigger there, so it's all good... other than maybe the lack of old school German vocabulary on my side ;)

thanks again, I managed to do a lot of progress as far as family history goes.
turns out my great great great grandfather was indeed from the region formally known as Selasia. My GGG granfather August Was born in zeitz in1824 and was listed as from selasia in the records. He moved to zeitz at some point because all of his children including my great great grandfather Prince Paul Otto Elzner were born there. Plus my Great great great grandmother's (Juliane Wilhelmine Pauline Becker) Family was from Eilenburg which is only 50 miles or so away.
but anyhow, yeah, lots of info to zone out to. lol