Tranny cooler "56k will get owned"

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
OK well, I'm fully prepared to be flamed and ragged on for this, but you'll never know unless you ask.

So, I was sifting through my brothers mess of computer stuff; searching for a replacement fan for my computer, when I happen upon his old water cooling radiator for the processor. Now, an Idea popped into my head, and I thought it would be a good idea to give it a go! Of course I myself wouldn't try such a thing, until I got some kind of go ahead from anyone. My dad said

" Looks like it could work, but don't ask me ask your Supra buddies."

So here I am, coming to this forum with a really almost stupid idea to use a water cooler for a processor, as a transmission cooler. I wouldn't be asking this if I didn't think it could possibly work... I mean, whats the worst that could happen? The thing ruptures and I lose some tranny fluid, woopie. So have a gander at the pictures and let me know what you all think. The worst answer I could get is

" You're an idiot, this won't work, go buy a real one."

So hit me, I'm ready for it.

2a85k4g.jpg

2wbu5wj.jpg

2wpklud.jpg

4hriww7.jpg

2el467b.jpg

-Joe

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Could work, but it looks tiny if that's your thumb holding it. IMHO, uptown they sell transmission coolers from $24-$58 at Farm 'n Fleet (no it's not a farm equip. store, I don't know where the name came from). I picked up a 10"x15" (second biggest IIRC) for my better-than-stock oil cooler. If ya want I'll pick one up for ya you pay + shipping and throw in a candy bar :naughty:

-Chris

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
SevenMKIII said:
Could work, but it looks tiny if that's your thumb holding it. IMHO, uptown they sell transmission coolers from $24-$58 at Farm 'n Fleet (no it's not a farm equip. store, I don't know where the name came from). I picked up a 10"x15" (second biggest IIRC) for my better-than-stock oil cooler. If ya want I'll pick one up for ya you pay + shipping and throw in a candy bar :naughty:

-Chris

I shall consider.

But yea, it's small, and the more I think about it... the less I think it would do. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow for the hell of it, pictures shall ensue! I get an awful feeling a BHG will be knocking at my door even though it has nothing to do with it:eek3:

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
If it ruptures though, and you don't notice right away (assuming you don't have a trans temp gauge) allowing your trans fluid to drain that would make it veeeerrryyy hot pretty quickly. That means bad news.

-Chris

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I don't plan to take it for a spin after I get it on. I'll Let it run in the driveway for a bit see what it does. And yes, bye bye transmission.

-Joe

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
IJ. said:
Buy a real one...
seconded. Even though, usually id say go for it but its a bit too small. If it had some better fittings id go for it. Liquid cooling systems usually don't have the BEST fittings...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
why not just buy a real one?

sure this might work...but you're going to have to custom make stuff and if it messes up...you screw your tranny? doesnt that kinda drastically offset the risk involved when you could throw down 50 for one meant for this, and avoid several hundred dollars in repairs?

just my opinion...i dont even know how one would go about installing an oil cooler for the tranny... considering the N/A doesnt have one stock (dont know about turbo since i dont have one)

where do you run the lines from/to in the tranny case? do u have to get a pump?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Its too small to do any good. Oh, and if it ruptures and pushes out the trans. fluid while you're driving, kiss all those clutches goodbye. The good trans. coolers are less then $50, will extend the life of your trans., and are easy to install. If you really want to do it right, put an inline trans. filter on the return side. We use them (filters) on alll the automatics we build or install.

Fig: You pick up the cooler lines from the radiator.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
Way too small, even the tubes are too small. if it didn't rupture the restricted flow might cause something bad to happen down the road. You don't need a large tranny cooler to help with a car. 7x10 would be fine. Now for a truck that hauls heavy loads, thats another story. Make sure you check your fluid levels for the next few weeks after installing one too.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Woo for a discussion! I figured it wouldn't do any good to being with, but was worth the effort to ask. Seeing as it was used for a computer, the possibilities of it actually working, are slim to none. The size for one is more then enough to not even try it, and I highly doubt the material would hold up against the heat.

I do however feel that a transmission cooler for an auto is highly beneficial. They get hot, and anything to keep them at a suitable temperature is worth it. Of course this isn't the unit to do so, and a real one would do it just fine load or not.

-Joe

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
cuel said:
Its too small to do any good. Oh, and if it ruptures and pushes out the trans. fluid while you're driving, kiss all those clutches goodbye. The good trans. coolers are less then $50, will extend the life of your trans., and are easy to install. If you really want to do it right, put an inline trans. filter on the return side. We use them (filters) on alll the automatics we build or install.

Fig: You pick up the cooler lines from the radiator.

there are tranny cooler lines on a stock N/A supra?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
auto transmissions are different though.... doesnt the fluid essentially power the car?? in a manual transmission it simply lubricates this action....while the auto uses the fluid in the torque convertor. i might be wrong, i dont know much about autos... but yeah.. i think manuals operate with cooler temps....and i have a manual tranny. maybe that was a critical point in this thread...

which i do believe it was.

my apologies...HAH! i feel silly.