Traction arm bushings

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Think ive narrowed down the play in the rear end to the traction arms, im getting noise and play from the rear end when decelerating and accelerating at slow speeds around a tight corner, im pretty sure its the LSD slipping and causing it to load and unload on whatever bushing is worn out. Just finished putting in a new Center Support bearing and most of the play I had is gone :icon_bigg. Just trying to track down that last little bit of play, at least its livable now.

The pinion has normal play, crush sleeve is good.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=RA&P=70

those are the ones im talking about..

What else could be making the noise back there? I might as well just get all of the parts before I tear it apart. I dont really want do a full bushing job though, the suspension is quiet over bumps, no weird clunks.

Last edited:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I have set of urethane bushings for the traction arms if you are interested. I went with the suprasport traction arms and have no need for my replacement bushings. I would sell them for 20 plus shipping to where you are.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Are you sure it's not 42210 in this picture?

Usually a clunk back there is from that wearing out. It's not a bushing, it's more of a ball joint.

MCR675.gif

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1288760 said:
Are you sure it's not 42210 in this picture?

Usually a clunk back there is from that wearing out. It's not a bushing, it's more of a ball joint.

MCR675.gif
Poodles the 42210 is a bushing.... It has a metal sleeve and is a royal pita. I just installed new custom urethanes in that spot. Today in fact. They are not available aftermarket. Unless you get one from ronnie and then you need to torch out the metal sleeve and press in the new bushing.

But yeah that is definitely not a ball joint.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Cut it open.

It's not a normal style of bushing and yes they're a bitch to replace, and stock is fine as it's not meant to give the same was a stock bushing.

Had this discussion before on the forums if I can find it...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Island_Yota;1288790 said:
thats 42210, could quite possibly be the noise im hearing. Looks like :aigo: to change out. 48780D is the traction arm bushing right?

well, thats the arm side bushing, not the hub side (go to the actual cygnusx1 link to get the exact part number....48780D is not a part number.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jack the car up put a stand under the lower arm and let the weight back down then grab the wheel and check for movement, if the spherical is stuffed it'll be apparent, the biggest cause for failure after old age is bolting the bushes/joints up with the suspension at full droop.

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
funky_monkey58;1288725 said:
I have set of urethane bushings for the traction arms if you are interested. I went with the suprasport traction arms and have no need for my replacement bushings. I would sell them for 20 plus shipping to where you are.

not trying to hiijack, but im having the exact same issue and its scary!! do you still have the bushings for sale? also, did the problem get fixed and what was it??

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
that one is easy tyo find out if dead and easy to replace

jack up car wiggle wheel you will see it move easy as that

Island_Yota;1288790 said:
42210-14010.jpg

thats 42210, could quite possibly be the noise im hearing. Looks like :aigo: to change out. 48780D is the traction arm bushing right?