Toyota Supra MA70 1:10 model kit: HELP?!?!?!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Ok. For awhile now I have seen this blessed kit for sale on various websites and on Fleabay, and it's gotten me completely flummoxed. I have also seen other kits like the Autobody Mad Max Interceptor kit and now a Jeep Cherokee model kit for sale, and I have not bought any of them yet because I have absolutely no idea how to build them......

Every one of these kits is nothing more than a molded clear (seemingly empty) tray with stickers, and nothing else. Supposedly, you can only build one model out of these trays, but I don't see any chassis', tires, engines, etc... in these kits to complete the model like any other sane 1:24 kit. The Mad Max kit requires some sort of extra chassis from an R/C kit, but those run about $150+ I think. Do all of these body kits require this? What goes in the plastic tray? Resin? Melted plastic? PLAY-DOH?!

I really want to build that MA70 with lighted signals/headlights. :love:

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I haven't bought it yet, I just like the detail that comes from the finished product. But I don't know much about the clear Lexan stuff that makes up its (body? shape?) I know someone on here did a really nice one a few months ago, but I can't find the thread for it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
this isn't your average kit..

you paint the body, clear it, cut it out of the mold and carefully and painfully cut out the stickers and apply them..

you then mount them on an RC body, and have your fun..

R/C cars seem small, but hobbies like this can cost thousands....

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
RazoE;1575438 said:
this isn't your average kit..

you paint the body, clear it, cut it out of the mold and carefully and painfully cut out the stickers and apply them..

you then mount them on an RC body, and have your fun..

R/C cars seem small, but hobbies like this can cost thousands....[/QUOTE]

you mean like real supras? ;)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
LOL, if you let it cost you thousands, it will. It's a simple case of "do I really NEED this to run my R/C truck?". The stock exhaust is fine, but you need to replace bearings when they blow up. Why pay $150 for a metal cage when you could solder one together for $15? Most of the people I know/see who spend thousands on an R/C hobby have boxes of parts they never use and more than one car. They're one person, how can they drive more than one truck at one time? And what's the point of spending money on stuff that collects dust?

I'm into my SavageXL for $500 (including the purchase price) and I've gone through 3 gallons of fuel, two differentials, 8 bearings, two throttle assemblies, and numerous other parts. I'm not easy on it either, I never hear the end of my driving habits being either idle or full throttle... but I make sure it's durable!

That said, I'd never put a nice, pretty, or expensive body on my SavageXL for driving it... I don't often consider the consequences of hitting a 15' vertical slope of gravel at 20MPH, I just hold the throttle open and steer against wheel spin... physics dictates that if you do mount the summit of said gravel pile, the truck will continue on a vertical trajectory; while murphy's law clearly states that that nice carefully painted body is going to cushion the truck's structural components in the upcoming landing.

I guess what I'm saying is that a really nice body isn't going to last long on a nitro R/C vehicle... I suppose the pros can do crazy stuff without wrecking the body, but those are the guys that spent thousands on a shelf full of dusty parts.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
When you actually race nitro rc it will cost you thousands! It's not that we blow money but on a track shit can happen! I've had run away cars that hit curbs, stalled out and someone hit me at full throttle on a track...etc. 99% of the time the damage is cheaper to fix by buying another car!

Anyway...op, you are looking at rc car shells "not models".

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gaboonviper85;1575564 said:
When you actually race nitro rc it will cost you thousands! It's not that we blow money but on a track shit can happen! I've had run away cars that hit curbs, stalled out and someone hit me at full throttle on a track...etc. 99% of the time the damage is cheaper to fix by buying another car!

<nodding> I had 5 engines @ $500 each, 2 full cars and radios, in one season I spent more than I would have to buy/race a full size lower class circuit car here in Australia...

I had a ball but in hindsight at the end of the year it was a really expensive $20 trophy ;)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
gaboonviper85;1575564 said:

Oh, I believe it. Racing them is crazy expensive... and I'd rather just race a full sized car :p

I meant just bashing around in a gravel pit for some fun, can be done for cheap.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1575572 said:
Links would help us understand what you're talking about ;)

I raced these for 2 years...1/8th nitro buggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlg3751lQhc&feature=youtube_gdata

but like most all hobby type rc cars, the actual body is just a thin piece of lexan type material in the general shape of a car....Held on by removable pins.

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

I once was using a cheap battery cell/pack for my buggy's electronics...was only using it as my hump pack went dead while breaking in a bran new engine.....hit a pot hole in the paking lot and the battery pack broke...my throttle stuck at wide open and the return spring couldn't overpower my high torque servo....car went full blast for about 50 yards and slammed into a curb at about 40mph....nothing was recovered!!! Went and bought another buggy that day for $600:-(

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
gaboonviper85;1578461 said:
I raced these for 2 years...1/8th nitro buggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlg3751lQhc&feature=youtube_gdata

but like most all hobby type rc cars, the actual body is just a thin piece of lexan type material in the general shape of a car....Held on by removable pins.

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

I once was using a cheap battery cell/pack for my buggy's electronics...was only using it as my hump pack went dead while breaking in a bran new engine.....hit a pot hole in the paking lot and the battery pack broke...my throttle stuck at wide open and the return spring couldn't overpower my high torque servo....car went full blast for about 50 yards and slammed into a curb at about 40mph....nothing was recovered!!! Went and bought another buggy that day for $600:-(

Makes me think electric is the way to go... I can't even imagine that, dude.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Electric is just as expensive! Brushless motors are very expensive...lipo battery packs cost a ton.....they are just as fast as nitro for the most part. Nitro I prefer as your run times are longer and pit stops in general are faster