Toyota Red Coolant = ?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
So when switching from green to red is it adequate to put straight distilled water in the system, run the car with heat blasting for a while, drain, reapeat, then put in the red?

Im not very familiar with this stuff and do not want any sludge forming in my cooling system.

SupraRacer

Banned
Apr 10, 2005
St. Louis
i know everybody is"green" nowadays and im sure ill get crap for it, but After ive drained all the coolant that i could out of my engine, and radiator, id fill it up with the hose, and after the motor is up to temperature, id take out the drain plug on the radiator, and just let it idle with a hose in the top of the radiator and continue until the water comming out of the drain plug is clear, obviously with the heater on.. if you dont get it all out it turns a nice muddy brown..

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
I think im just going to use regular old toyota red and distilled water because for one i can get it for free, and two ill have it always available to me if im working on my car at work. Also, i saw a comment someone made about using toyota pink, and i would be careful using that. Its 100K coolant and not meant to be mixed with water or any other coolants and im not sure if the motors or gaskets toyota uses on cars filled with it are specially designed or not.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Crack me up. You guys make it sound as if Red is some magic elixir made by elves. All non-premixed EG coolants are comprised of the same things: appx 80% glycol, 10% distilled water and 10% inhibitors, which is why the water is in there. The only difference between Toyota OEM and *any* other brand of EG coolant are the inhibitors, which in all coolants are typically small amounts of only two chemicals. They all do the same thing but work in slightly different ways. And the dye color is different of course.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
/\/\ I was about to say JetJock but you beat me to it! :)

I just stumbled across this thread and what surprised me is the last activity was just about a week ago! I thought everyone knew by now that its all the same crap just with dye added from the factory to scare you into buying it. We need to spread the word on this more

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Same for G05 ;)
The color doesn't mean anything, but the chemistry sure does. Coolants are not all the same.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
de(ath)xcool... you can replace the watter pump and seals yearly, just because you dumped the 7m doesnt mean you get out of the constant work required by the mkIII ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ.;1282135 said:
Now the BIG question for me is which coolant do I run in the Chev ;)

G05 of course! Especially in an all aluminum engine.

GM recommends DexCool...make sure you keep the coolant system full and at the spec precentage if you use it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Grimsta: Just to be clear I never said all EG coolants are the same. I said all of them are 90% the same. While the inhibitors in different brands perform the same function they *are* different from one another and work in different ways. My point was these inhibitors are the only differences between brands and even then there are only a handful of inhibitor chemistries used across all brands. I personally don't use conventional coolants but the reasons have absolutely nothing to do with a belief they're corrosive because they're not. I use something else because I have a solid understanding how the various inhibitors actually do what they do. Normally I'd suggest others learn this too but since experience has shown that'd be a waste of time they can use maple syrup for all I care ;)

Edit: Btw I'm not at all doubting Ian's experience. What he describes sounds like a classic case of localized film boiling with resultant cavitation erosion, something that wouldn't be the coolant's fault, at least not directly. Film boiling can be caused by several things and Ian's engine isn't typical. And since those parts were virgin it's quite possible the pitting occurred not long after installation. It's because virgin parts aren't protected against cavitation erosion....the coolant requires time to provide it.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
grimreaper;1268259 said:

jdub;1268596 said:
The Zyrex G05 Grim posted (#10) earlier in this thread is as good or better than the Toyota Red and less expensive. I've used both and either will provide excellent service. The HOAT technology G05 uses has superior corrosion control in both steel and aluminum IMO.

A coolant filter is a worthwhile addition to the system as well.

Any switch from the green coolant will require a through engine/radiator/heater core flush.

Zumtizzle;1270342 said:

jdub;1270606 said:
The G05 is providing excellent service in 3 of my cars...all Toyota.

grimreaper;1270636 said:
two toyota's and one dodge, no issues with eating seals (like dexron) and the water pumps.

Zumtizzle;1271136 said:
http://www.mkiiitech.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4351#post4351

This in my opinion is worth the read.

JetJock (aka everyones favorite lurker) knows his stuff. ;)

jdub;1282250 said:
Zerex G-05...Gold bottle here in the states. Valvoline makes it.

jdub;1282224 said:
G05 of course! Especially in an all aluminum engine.

GM recommends DexCool...make sure you keep the coolant system full and at the spec precentage if you use it.

jdub;1282133 said:
Same for G05 ;)
The color doesn't mean anything, but the chemistry sure does. Coolants are not all the same.

Talk about one off topic thread. ;)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Grimsta;1282063 said:
/\/\ I was about to say JetJock but you beat me to it! :)

I just stumbled across this thread and what surprised me is the last activity was just about a week ago! I thought everyone knew by now that its all the same crap just with dye added from the factory to scare you into buying it. We need to spread the word on this more

Umm Ace.

Read this thread. http://www.mkiiitech.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4351#post4351

I have a feeling Toyota Red and Honda Blue are likely the same; They smell and have the same feeling on my fingers <could be in my head>, i bet they taste the same. <Joke> :biglaugh:

<Edit: I've heard all coolants taste like Maple Syrup.> ;)