Toyota MR-5???

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
my neighbour just imported a car and says it is a toyota MR-5. i tried googling it and the only thing that comes up is a 2001 MR-2(MR-s) i even checked the tradecarview.com and they don't even offer it for import anywhere. have any of you guys heard of this car or know anything about it, or is this guy full of shit. thanks for the help

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
thats what i thought. when you search for MR-5 you just get the new mr-2 pics. and there is no way he has imported a 2001 not even into canada.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The MR2 Spyder/MR-S was never sold in Canada, I think it was something incredible stupid, like the door lines were too low or something..

It was sold as the Toyota MR Coupe in France, because MR2 sounds sorta like "shit" in French. The MR2 Spyder was the N.A. name and MR-S was the Japanese name.

Either way the chassis code is ZZW3*, and W stands for "MR2" so technically, even though it's not named MR2 in Japan, it still is.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
sounds good. this guy was a loser anyways. one side note, it was a hard top so i'm not sure if it was the MR-S but as long as we clear the air on the fact that no MR-5 exists. thanks guy

oh and it was a j spec. right hand drive

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
They sell hardtops for it, nothing unimaginable...

IMG_1035.sized.jpg

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The MR2 Spyder didn't meet our crash test standards in Canada when it was released. In late June 2008, they changed our bumper standards to match the USA, as such a lot of cars that could not bet imported into Canada from the USA can now be imported.

Also modifications that used to need to be done to vehicles no longer need to be done (Corvettes, etc).

Jeff

(PS: I hate that people call them MR-S's in North America, not sure why, but it was called the MR2 Spyder here, stick with the MR2 name, why do people rebadge cars? If anything I'd rebadge it as an MR2 (drop the Spyder), not change it to the more homoerotic MR-S...)

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
RazoE;1170373 said:
The MR2 Spyder/MR-S was never sold in Canada, I think it was something incredible stupid, like the door lines were too low or something..

It was sold as the Toyota MR Coupe in France, because MR2 sounds sorta like "shit" in French. The MR2 Spyder was the N.A. name and MR-S was the Japanese name.

Either way the chassis code is ZZW3*, and W stands for "MR2" so technically, even though it's not named MR2 in Japan, it still is.

MeRDeux....thats pretty funny...shit in French