Towing the Supra With my Tacoma's 2.7 Liters of FURY

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
As some of you know I recently had to start my move down to Palmdale, CA from Spokane, WA. I am towing my Supra with my 2001 Tacoma on a tow dolly. Total weight of both vehicles came in around 8500 pounds. Here is the route I am taking: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=spokane%2C%20wa%20to%20palmdale%2C%20ca&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

I left Spokane on Monday and headed east on I-90 over the 4th of July pass and Lookout pass. Everything was fine and the roads were wet up until I started up the base of Lookout pass, then it started to freeze.... Shit. I thought it would be smooth sailing to travel in late April. I threw the transfer case into 4-High and trucked on.

Slowly I crept upward toward the summit. It is only a 4000 foot pass but as a high point for those Pacific storms that roll in it tends to collect a lot of ice and nastiness. About a mile from the summit, the ice on the road became really thick. My 2.7 Liters of fury dont really carry much torque, so maintaining momentum up the hill took some work. Third gear soon gave way to second. I knew I had to slow it down to be safe. Thats when I came up to the trucks that were stuck on the side of the road around the banked curve. The roads were so slick that they couldnt get going; all they could do is spin the tires.

I tried to go into the left lane to get around these trucks, but as I started to turn left, the Tacoma and Supra began to slide sideways (to the right) toward the lower part of the banked curve. I decided that it was best to wait for the trucks in front of me to get their chains on and move out of the way.

As I was patiently waiting, another semi rolled in behind me and though he would be a hero and try to get around all of us. This genius in this fully loaded truck began to slide sideways towards my car and all I could think of was "Dont hit my Supra, asshole!" He stopped well short of it and waited for us to move.

Eventually, the sand truck came by a couple of times and gave me some traction in the left lane. Once the trucks in front of me were able to pull up a few feet I gave the passing lane another shot. The Tacoma began to slide sideways once again and the Supra followed. As I gained traction the Supra came around the back of the truck and tracked like it should. It looked like everything was going to be fine.

Finally, I reached the summit and began my downward trek in first gear. Trucks were lined on the side of the summit with their brakes set for at least a mile. I could see people staring at me as I drove by - its kind of funny looking at the Supra in tow because with the dolly it is actually longer than my truck! As they watched me drive by I could see them talking and staring. They probably thought I was crazy.

Anyway, I made it safe and sound. Now im in Utah and about halfway there. The truck tows it at a steady 70 on the flat and level but with any grade I have to downshift to fourth.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Sounds like you had a fun time. Just one question, why not head west and then south? I didnt do it on mapquest, but it looks to be almost the same as heading east. Probably would have been a nicer ride through Cali.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I have family in Idaho and Utah so I wanted to go this way vs blowing cash on hotels. This is a slow, long trip.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I love my 2.7 taco. I was driving in a horrible snowstorm and ended up in the big ditch in the median (along with 6-7 cars and a couple of semis along the ~200 mile drive)
The difference is, I was able to drive back out. :) Putting it in 4wd and getting a little running start (I basically had to rock back and forth in the ditch like a pendulum) got me up the incline and back on my way.
Anyways, it's good to hear a potential disaster was averted.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Glad to see you and your supra are doing good! Hope the rest of your trip goes well! :thumbup:

Why did I say blake?:slap:

Last edited:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
rs4rush;1001296 said:
Glad to see you and your supra are doing good Blake! To bad I didnt get to see it before you left :nono: Hope the rest of your trip goes well! :thumbup:

Uh.. that's not Blake buddy :)

You scared the shit out of me man, I was getting nervous ;)

Glad to see you're making it safely so far.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i had my girlfriends dad tow my supra, Excursion with a V10. Never would have known the car was even there... and it was FREE! i only had to tow it like 20mins from where i live though... so it was an easy trip.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I was holding my breath reading that... Thinking "please, don't let anything happen to the supra! or him! Not neccesarily in that order!"

I'm glad you're ok, the car's ok, and everything's ok :D