Towing a MK3 accross the country??

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I will be moving within the year back down to Oklahoma with my wife, and i'll be damned if i'm leaving the supra here when I do. I'm certain i won't have it roadworthy again by then, so i'll be in the market for a truck/crossover to tow it with. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for something that gets 18 to 20 miles a gallon when loaded down, and my budget is 3500 to 5000 tops. Let me know what you guys think.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Dont get a ford Explorer, or anything ford for that matter right now. Uhaul has a dispute against them because of flip over ratings happening with ford. Mostly the SUVs, but trucks may be under fire as well, =/

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
They are called for exploders for a reason, alot of the issue with the flip overs was due to poorly engineered bridgestone tires if i remember correctly. I have my own car trailer so uhaul isn't an issue. I was thinking about a late 90's for ranger if i can get one with the 373 rear end, the other gears may be too small to handle the weight of the car and the trailer together, even with electronic assisted surge brakes.

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
What part of Oklahoma are you moving to? I live on the KS/OK border right now haha.

As for towing, 18-20 under load would be tough. I've got a v6 F150 and I don't even get more than 15 before I start towing. Good luck though!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Moving back to good old Woodward ok, I don't want to get 20 under load but I need a truck I can afford to drive daily as well I wouldn't expect anything over 15 tops when towing

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What are you using to move your belongings with? I towed my Mk3 down to AZ from WY once, with a mid-size (14'?) box truck, on a flat trailer. Worked great, truck averaged about 15-16mpg overall.

Probably not a good daily, but if you're going to use a box truck to haul your belongings, is towing the car behind it an option?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I'll be shipping a lot of my things down ahead of time and a lot of it will be sold before I leave and replaced there. I would rent a truck but I'll need a daily driver when I get there and it seems to me 1500 to rent a panel truck would be better spent on a vehicle for me to keep

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Maybe if it wasn't in seattle, i'm in western NY atm lmao, i think we're getting a bit off topic tho. I guess to rephrase my question when you have to tow your MK3 what kind of truck do you use and does it get ok mileage both under load and unladen?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Get pretty much any diesel. They'll have no trouble managing 18-20 mpg. I'm partial to the cummins but that's just me. :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Backlash2032;1844060 said:
Get pretty much any diesel. They'll have no trouble managing 18-20 mpg. I'm partial to the cummins but that's just me. :p
+1 on the diesel idea.

also I know I mentioned why not rent a truck and I should have finished by saying, rent the truck and buy a corolla or something and save the money for the supra! That is of course if you don't need said truck for work etc.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Ha my buddy builds cummins motors I like them too but it may put the price out of my range. I'm actually looking at a couple of 4.0 ford rangers 5 speed 4x4 with tow package any thoughts?

In response to buying a Honda... No no a thousand times no. I don't want the 1500 I have to spend on moving be on just the move know what I mean?

Last edited: