top plate on the valve lifter

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
just do the valves while you got it apart very easy and simple math and end result is a smooth sounding motor :)

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I was thinking, its better if I did the valves when I replace springs and retainers. So no valve job yet. Third head I rebuild will have that.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
you can get the shims bout anywhere toyota, off used heads sh!t even amazon the 25mm shim comes in sizes i believe 2.30-3.20 anything smaller than 2.30 and you may have to make the adjustment from the top of the valve i wouldn't recommend using my method that i stated earlier in this tread but it does work just make sure you use very fine grit sandpaper so when you do get the desired size that its nice and smooth and almost polished we did my buddies 7m with old shims from another head, reused some existing shims in diff spots sanded a few and bought a few sounds like a pain but these shims start to add up fast and were on a budget almost 5000 miles on his valve job and still sounds nice and smooth

you should also be able to find the shims at a local motorsports store they used those shims in bikes too

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
That can wait for next year. Everything about my car is stock so I'm not interested in that now. I was but I'm not prepared to beast it yet.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Lol I'm losing my mind, yeah about the valve clearance. I'll need to check that when I put the cams on with some feller gauges then hopefully I can pick up some from toyota or Andy.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
like i was saying before keep in mind yamaha and honda bikes used those shims too and i do believe a member on this forum stated that ford zetec engines 98' and on used the 25mm shims too but don't quote me on that they aint hard to find