Top mount intercooler

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
Me and my friend were debating intercooler piping and he was thinking that. I'm going with a frount facing inlet:icon_bigg

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Top mount IC's are a bad idea as when not in motion, that act as an "interheater" and heatsoak really bad from radiant heat from the engine. Mazda realised it, but Subaru didn't.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
a top mount setup would work great on our cars, its funny i've never thought about it. I agree with the above, i think that top mounts are useless.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
toyota did it in the Mr2's, but they still suck,, lol not much other option unless they ran 20 ft of IC piping lol

Apr 17, 2005
Lafayette, IN
:icon_bigg
362269_75_full.jpg

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
all goes back to science class. the colder you can make the air entering the combustion chamber the more air molucules you can stuff in there which means more power..... colder is better.. IC works from air moving across the face of the IC, this extractls the heat from the air moving through the inside of the IC. im sure it will still work, but definately not as well as if it had air moving across it out front..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Joel: I don't think ANYONE here is saying it's a good idea just that it can be done!

I run a Water to Air IC and wouldn't mount it like that as heat rises so you'd be fighting heatsoack at low speeds.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
kylemartin said:
:icon_bigg

now that air to liquid IC right, that is just fine i would think since you will extrack mass more heat from water than air.. like going out side in shorts on 30 degree day.. cold. but now jump into 30 degree water,, which is colder... hehehe

ok IJ, i agree, anything can be done,

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
cjsupra90 said:
Top mount IC's are a bad idea as when not in motion, that act as an "interheater" and heatsoak really bad from radiant heat from the engine. Mazda realised it, but Subaru didn't.

Actually Mazda still doesn't realise it yet. Look at the new Mazda 6 turbo.... :biglaugh:

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Let me introduce you to my all time favorite car. It is a twin turbo with two intercoolers in the back:
ferrariGTOb.jpg

Its got lines and curves that make me say dayum when ever I see it
http://www.fast-autos.net/ferrari/288gto10.html

OK, I got off topic, but I just wanted to show you what it looks like to have two intercoolers in the back that are horizontal.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thats a great idea. I never thought about one of those for a MKIII. That setup wouldnt be bad with a spearco core on a 7mgte. A lot better than side to side flowing IC setups which involve endless piping and many possibilites for pressure drop or boost leaks. It would work even better (more like the pic) with a FFIM. Someone must do this.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
IJ. said:
Think of a WRX ;)

I think some Alltrac Celicas had a top mount as well.

All alltrac celicas have top mount intercoolers stock, thats were he got the idear from. I think its a dum idear,think how wide the top of the motor is and then think of the bigest intercooler u could put there."NOT BIG"

Last edited:

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
the alltrac celica had a top mount water-cooled IC that also used air to cool it as well(my friend has one in his back yard.). I've many times contimplated(sp?) a v-mount, but I should probly turbo my car first.