To lambo doors or Not to lambo doors?

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
BorHor;1013054 said:
99% of the people on here will say don't do it. But do it if you want. I hate when people stop doing what they want becuase others say not to.

Also.. I remember a member trying to do it but the universal kit he bought didn't seem strong enough to hold the door up so he didn't use it. Make sure to buy a good kit that can hold up the weight of the door.

Also, 99% of the people who say they want to do it, never do.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
I had lambo doors on mine. The biggest pain in my @$$ right now is the fact that it twisted my door, slightly. Now I have an issue with the vanity lights being on when the door is closed.

I'm a sucker for the "Dihedral Synchro-Helix" doors.
Koenigsegg_CCR_400X300.png

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I wouldn't do it, and if I were to, I'd at least use the s2 kit. I've seen too many bad kits or "generic" ones that just result in badly damaged fenders and a poorly functioning mechanism. or you could get a bent door???

lambo doors = pointless + added weight???

$ out the window???

i can't make any sense of it.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
some ppl like the BLING factor. Only do it if its going to be done correctly. Plus take into account. Is your chassis in perfect condition? Thats the only way i'd do it cause im not going to put lambo anything on a chassis thats rusted or bad.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
If you're about show, go for it.

If you have even the slightest care for the function of the vehicle, it's a complete waste of time. Risk of bending shit, shit popping open, shit breaking, shit leaking, shit generally getting fucked up. Added weight, added complexity, a shit-ton of money to get done right or a big ass headache if done wrong. Also, consider how important the door is for structural integrity during a crash... will the lambo hinge transfer force the way Toyota designed the door to react in a crash? Sounds dicey to me.

Sounds like alot of downside, when compared to the upside: gimmickey doors. In the end, that's all it is; a gimmick. Lamborgini did it because their cars were so wide you couldn't open the door in a regular parking stall... they were a practical addition to the lambo so that it could work as a daily driver. In any other case, it's just a for-show gimmick that has the potential do the opposite of what it did for lambo: make it horrible for a daily driver. Who needs a shower? Just go for a drive in the rain, lol. All the other wierd door hinge types discussed above are accomplishing the same feat - opening the door of a really wide car in a small space.

Sure, lambo doors are cool, but consider all the aspects before you jump into it. They sure do look pretty in the pictures around the internet... but would you really want them on your car to drive every day?

I'd rather have the 1000 dollars.

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
HommerSimpson;1014150 said:
umm ofcourse you would have to build a frame

Thanks for pointing that out... piece of cake right?... I don't think anyone will ever complete the conversion.

lost_breed

Apr 22, 2008
DENVER, PA
Alright, now that I've heard all the comments i think it's just a waste of time and money to do an conversion. As it was pointed out, installation is going to cost a lot maybe even more than the hardware itself is worth; that is it you want it done right. Once it's on, their might be leaks and MKIII's doors are too heavy. Last but not least the risks of what might happen during a accidents, like one noble member had pointed out. Thanks you guys for all your thoughts.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
lol I was in your position not too long ago and came to the same decision. I'd say its a good one seeing as how the bolt-ons are just a complete rip off and the universal hinges just suck.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
GrimJack;1014474 said:
Well, in his defense, Mk4's have been converted to gullwings before, so it's at least in the realm of possibility.

No need to defend me.. Anything can be done to a car...you just have to have the want and will and tools... and the most inportaint.. a OPEN MIND...

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
SupraMaster;1013934 said:
I had lambo doors on mine. The biggest pain in my @$$ right now is the fact that it twisted my door, slightly. Now I have an issue with the vanity lights being on when the door is closed.

I'm a sucker for the "Dihedral Synchro-Helix" doors.
Koenigsegg_CCR_400X300.png

Now see this is even better and looks easyer.. 2 way hydrolic ram up front..say a 2 inch with 10 inch throw maybe 12... spring loaded like windows are... i think this is very very dooable and safe...ty for posting pic... :}

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
HommerSimpson;1014841 said:
Now see this is even better and looks easyer.. 2 way hydrolic ram up front..say a 2 inch with 10 inch throw maybe 12... spring loaded like windows are... i think this is very very dooable and safe...ty for posting pic... :}

No problem at all (for posting the pic :) ) I believe it's very doable. With the right mathematic skills and knowledge of what you need, what you're working with, etc. it can't possibly cost as much as they would like to lead us to believe.

prism1

prizmosis jones
May 24, 2006
fresno
i just today got the"bolt on" lambo kit for the car was going to put them on tomorrow. ill take some shots and post em up if you like.

Dustin.