Tinting Hatchback?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
What shade % are you thinking of going with?

I got limo (5%) all around done professionally and it still looks as if it was done yesterday. Definetely take it to a shop that specializes in window tinting.

Oh and the rear defogger won't make any difference and is of no concern.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
before I do the tint should I take off the defroster wires that go tot he hatch glass myself and put them back on after the tint or leave them on? same goes for brake light

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
Seriously impossible to do yourself I spent hours trying to tint my car and just took it to a shop and it was done in 2 hours not worth the wasted time and effort

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
87 supra king;1578053 said:
Seriously impossible to do yourself I spent hours trying to tint my car and just took it to a shop and it was done in 2 hours not worth the wasted time and effort

I feel the same way, too difficult to make it not look like crap. I hate spending a lot of time on something and then giving up and having someone else do it, makes the initial try a waste of time (IMO).

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Rob_Supra87;1578051 said:
before I do the tint should I take off the defroster wires that go tot he hatch glass myself and put them back on after the tint or leave them on? same goes for brake light

No. Leave the defrost wires alone. Good tint will not have any issue with the defrost wires. What people are saying is that if for some reason the tint has to be removed(bubbles, fades, to dark), it will almost certainly destroy your defrost lines upon removal. So make absolutely sure it's done right the first time. Take it to a reputable shop, not one that just does tint on the weekends. It really is an art to install tint so it doesn't get bubbles on a hot day. Also make sure that you get good quality tint. The cheap stuff will fade and turn an ugly purple. And check your local laws for the maximum allowable percentage. It would suck if you had to destroy your defrost lines because some cop feels the need give you a ticket for excessively dark tint. This is one job you really only want to do once. It's not all that expensive, so do it right.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
So I got the tint done but did they mess it up? If you look att eh rear quarter panels it seems liek they didn't get it all on the glass or something, like from far away it doesn't look to good but here are some close ups, they said ti got messed because ti was a pain in the ass to get the corners because of the small amount of space in the corners.

Attachments

• IMG_0791..JPG
    IMG_0791..JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0790..JPG
    IMG_0790..JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0789..JPG
    IMG_0789..JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0792..JPG
    IMG_0792..JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 22

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
i have a brown supra with tints lemme look for pics
p1584915_1.jpg

tommorow i can get you close ups if you would like ?

from a long time ago i took those stickers off as seen above but this is the best pic i have atm.
p1584915_2.jpg

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Rob_Supra87;1584784 said:
So I got the tint done but did they mess it up? If you look att eh rear quarter panels it seems liek they didn't get it all on the glass or something, like from far away it doesn't look to good but here are some close ups, they said ti got messed because ti was a pain in the ass to get the corners because of the small amount of space in the corners.

The tint barely reaches the dots, am I seeing that right? And then that's it? On my '91 I remember that they put something else on the dots, and the whole job looked great. I wish I had good pics of the tint on it, but I plan on tinting my '90 at the same place and I'll be sure to get pics of their work, and also find out how they applied it to the dot matrix.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
yeah pics of up close would be nice, Im taking it back tuesday because they screwed up on the driver side so maybe I can do something about the dots then get them to redo it

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

^and where do you go where they fix the dots lol Im willing to drive to livermore for perfect tint if yours is good lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Rob_Supra87;1585052 said:
yeah pics of up close would be nice, Im taking it back tuesday because they screwed up on the driver side so maybe I can do something about the dots then get them to redo it

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

^and where do you go where they fix the dots lol Im willing to drive to livermore for perfect tint if yours is good lol

Rocky Montain Windowtint. I found out what they put on the dots; vinyl (http://www.rockymtnwindowtint.com/what_is_dot_matrix_).

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
Vinyl huh......interesting, how muchw as it for you to go there? No joke the tint is depressing me when I look at my car lol I need it fixed