timing issue!!!

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
jus did a mhg everything from a-z has been done mechanically but now im having timing issue.....this is whats happening car sets at 10 degrees but as the car warms up it advances up to 33..ive done all mechanical checks and if it was mechanical it be advancing from start up no?ive also set it to baseline.....could this be tps or afm...i was reading on here that it was the throttle cable in one case similiar anything willl help..thx:aigo:

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
First, verify that your mechanical timing is dead on. Your crank pulley needs to be at 0* with #1 piston at TDC, and the cam notches at 12 o'clock.

Warm the car up to operating temperature.

To adjust ignition timing, assuming that you've properly inserted the CPS, you need to place a jumper wire between t(e)1 and e1 in the diagnostic box near the battery in the engine bay. Once you've done that, adjust your ignition timing to 10* BTDC. Re-tighten the CPS bolt, enjoy.

If you search in the articles, I did writeups on how to set timing, both ignition and mechanical.

Something else you'll want to check, is that your crank pulley hasn't slipped. (If it has, even if it reads 0*, it could be anything. Yes, it happens!)

Edit: here's the Article I referred to above: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
shaeff;1423655 said:
First, verify that your mechanical timing is dead on. Your crank pulley needs to be at 0* with #1 piston at TDC, and the cam notches at 12 o'clock.

Warm the car up to operating temperature.

To adjust ignition timing, assuming that you've properly inserted the CPS, you need to place a jumper wire between t(e)1 and e1 in the diagnostic box near the battery in the engine bay. Once you've done that, adjust your ignition timing to 10* BTDC. Re-tighten the CPS bolt, enjoy.

If you search in the articles, I did writeups on how to set timing, both ignition and mechanical.

Something else you'll want to check, is that your crank pulley hasn't slipped. (If it has, even if it reads 0*, it could be anything. Yes, it happens!)

Edit: here's the Article I referred to above: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775

thx shaeff but ive made the tech double check and everything is dead on mechanicaly.....i was getting code 51..!?

so i tried 4 differnt tps and got one with a proper reading so i put that on but still no difference?

i had an old afm that was no good bad idle but when i put it on it keeps it locked at 5 degress even with throtlle open or closed........i am waiting on this.........what do you think!!!!?

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Well for the longest time the car felt really sluggish and i noticed the Timing would jump by alot just like yours. And when i did adjust the CPS so it would be at 10* with the diagnostic block jumped code 51 came up so i did some reading and noticed the TPS might have gone out of calibration. Everytime i would adjust the TPS the timing would advance. So i kept adjusting till the code went away, re-adjusted timing. I did that about 3times before it finally went away. I have been running it now for about 1-2 months and it hasn't jumped/advanced in timing since.

Oh and i think mine fell out of calibration because the 2 screws were lose already so yea. It's alot easier to adjust your TPS with the TB is off btw....

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
T-MA71;1425473 said:
Well for the longest time the car felt really sluggish and i noticed the Timing would jump by alot just like yours. And when i did adjust the CPS so it would be at 10* with the diagnostic block jumped code 51 came up so i did some reading and noticed the TPS might have gone out of calibration. Everytime i would adjust the TPS the timing would advance. So i kept adjusting till the code went away, re-adjusted timing. I did that about 3times before it finally went away. I have been running it now for about 1-2 months and it hasn't jumped/advanced in timing since.

Oh and i think mine fell out of calibration because the 2 screws were lose already so yea. It's alot easier to adjust your TPS with the TB is off btw....

ya not the afm either!!!!gonna try the cam sensor

ps:tps wouldnt make the timing go so hi even if it was bad...my timing goes up to 25 degrees

do you know where i can get a nice manual boost control and a boost gauge

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
ssssssuprahh;1425806 said:
ya not the afm either!!!!gonna try the cam sensor

ps:tps wouldnt make the timing go so hi even if it was bad...my timing goes up to 25 degrees

do you know where i can get a nice manual boost control and a boost gauge

I'm using the Dr. Jonez MBC that i bought off another member here, and a cheap Pep boys mechanical boost guage that was ~25. It works pretty well i was expecting a broken guage.

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
T-MA71;1425137 said:
The TPS does adjust timing so make sure thats calibrated and then re-check timing.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97689&highlight=throttle

That was causing my timing issues. Pretty much the same as yours.

i solved the problem!!!!!....it was the tps and the cam sensor off a lil

symptoms: lazy start, timing really high 33 degrees, bad emmisions and code 51

answer:how i solved the problem i calibrated the tps while the vehicle was idling and that changed the idle and timing also adjusted the cam sensor about 8 degrees..sounds simple to such a a big problem lol also emmisions are really down now u can actually put your face to the exhaust and not pass out....tomorrow i go for e-test lol

im gonna get drunk then laid!!!!

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
T-MA71;1425820 said:
I'm using the Dr. Jonez MBC that i bought off another member here, and a cheap Pep boys mechanical boost guage that was ~25. It works pretty well i was expecting a broken guage.

i solved the problem!!!!!....it was the tps and the cam sensor off a lil

symptoms: lazy start, timing really high 25 degrees, bad emmisions and code 51

answer:how i solved the problem i calibrated the tps while the vehicle was idling and that changed the idle and timing also adjusted the cam sensor about 8 degrees..sounds simple to such a a big problem lol also emmisions really low

im gonna get drunk then laid!!!!!!!

moonpie33

Jun 23, 2008
castroville
if you did not jump connection t(e)1 and E1 what will happen I DID NOT JUMP CONNECTION
as i reset my timing running 12-14 btdc running on 89 octane and i idle at 800 when warm. will this cause lag as the 7m does not put out as much power as i thought
O and its in my MK2 ftw lol
any advice

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
why not set the timing properly and not have to guess?

what does a timing light cost, $30? the process is not rocket science.

moonpie33

Jun 23, 2008
castroville
moonpie33;1446814 said:
I used a timing light BUT as i stated did not jump TE1 and E1 on the dignostic box

btw idle is 1200 closed lope
and 800 open lope when warm
she pulls very nicely at 4000 but with minor popping on decel

moonpie33

Jun 23, 2008
castroville
adampecush;1446837 said:
so jumper them and confirm. seriously, all you need is a paperclip.

WELL DUAH!!

anyways so jumped them
It led to my tps not working and looping throttle NOW FIXED
I redid timing at 12-14 btdc with a timing light
The mk2 does pull harder but what a hassle for somthing i didnt even need to do.