timing help with a 1990 7mge

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
well this is what i did, i toke the top of the engine out, leaving only the pistons part in the car, before i removed the belts, cam gears and cam shaft i marked everything, so i can put it back the same way when i put the top back.

the prblem is that i decided to check the piton compression and i moved the pistons the way they were. so now i loose the timing of the engine.

does any1 know a good guide or some link that tell me where i start wit the time, and all that info.

than you guys.

i searched before posting but i dont know if writed wrong, as you can see my english is not that good ^_^

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
remkye08;1421155 said:
well this is what i did, i toke the top of the engine out, leaving only the pistons part in the car, before i removed the belts, cam gears and cam shaft i marked everything, so i can put it back the same way when i put the top back.

the prblem is that i decided to check the piton compression and i moved the pistons the way they were. so now i loose the timing of the engine.

does any1 know a good guide or some link that tell me where i start wit the time, and all that info.

than you guys.

i searched before posting but i dont know if writed wrong, as you can see my english is not that good ^_^

Put #1 piston on TDC, check with pencil, cam gears on the marks, crank gear on the "0", rotor pointing at the #1 wire.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
remkye08;1421434 said:
txs bro but what TDc means?

TDC means top dead center. When the piston comes to the very top. You can pull the #1 spark plug, put a pencil down in the hole, then turn the motor by hand and watch the pencil for it to come to the max and just start to come down. All your marks and rotor on #1 wire should line up then.

If not you might have to change the position of the cam gears.

vangb2

Sep 14, 2009
minnesota
TDC means "Top Dead Center". It's a fancy word meaning that the piston is at the TOP (highest point possible). Piston 1 and 6 should be at the top as it is partners.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
AJ'S 88NA;1421439 said:
All your marks and rotor on #1 wire should line up then.

If not you might have to change the position of the cam gears.

That would only be true if the motor was at TDC when he marked it! Both the cams and the gears have three holes for the dowel pin. Use the center hole on each, and follow the cygnus link.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
ok so the steps are:

1: put the first piston at the top.
2: put the little things in the middle of the cam gears
3: align cam gears with the marks
4: put the rotor in the "0" mark?
5:??

how do i align the cam shafts?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
ForcedTorque;1421489 said:
That would only be true if the motor was at TDC when he marked it! Both the cams and the gears have three holes for the dowel pin. Use the center hole on each, and follow the cygnus link.

What I was trying to get across to the OP was that all these have to line up when #1 is at TDC. Apparently he wasn't at TDC when he re-installed the timing belt, not sure as he is having a problem understanding the terms.

But you have brought up a good point with the locater pins in the cams.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
wow...

Apparently, you have no idea what you're doing. My best piece of advice to you is put everything you took off in the hatch, and tow or trailer your car to a mechanic. I'm not trying to be cruel or malicious. You will save a lot of time, money, and aggravation this way. There are a few members here from the Austin area, and at least one of them should be able to point you to a reputable mechanic.

vangb2

Sep 14, 2009
minnesota
I think we should give the guy a chance to learn. You have to remember that we all started somewhere. Some had personal trainer, some took classes and some learned it the hard way.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel;1421590 said:
wow...

Apparently, you have no idea what you're doing. My best piece of advice to you is put everything you took off in the hatch, and tow or trailer your car to a mechanic. I'm not trying to be cruel or malicious. You will save a lot of time, money, and aggravation this way. There are a few members here from the Austin area, and at least one of them should be able to point you to a reputable mechanic.

CJ...where ya been?? Taking care of that new addition?

I have to agree, he needs to find some help with this. It's mostly simple to us, but it seems the op has a language barrier to over come also.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
cuel;1421590 said:
wow...

the problem bro is that i loosed my job and i have to do this myself because im broke, the last thing i bought for the car are the 7mgte arp head bolts, plus i want to learn, i cant depend on mechanics everytime my car is not working properly.

I think we should give the guy a chance to learn. You have to remember that we all started somewhere. Some had personal trainer, some took classes and some learned it the hard way.

yes bro please teach me, i was looking over that manual and im understanding some stuff because i saw the pieces when i took out the top of the engine, i just need the steps and tips i will aprecciate alot ^_^

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
AJ: Yeah, she keeps me busy :)

OP: As I said, there are members here in your area. You might post for help in the regional section. At least find someone who has an understanding of what needs to be done. Doing it wrong will double your cost, and triple your frustration.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
cuel;1424729 said:
AJ: Yeah, she keeps me busy :)

OP: As I said, there are members here in your area. You might post for help in the regional section. At least find someone who has an understanding of what needs to be done. Doing it wrong will double your cost, and triple your frustration.

yeah i found some1 outside the forum :)
tyty