time for turbo upgrade

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Hey everyone,well for a brief update my head gasket change is stable. I have been easy on it mainly because I wanted to be sure it was ok. I have clocked about 3k miles since the change, and really my only complaint is I still have the loping idle. I cant help but wonder if there really is 264 cams in the motor, I have tried another stock mass air sensor, and even a Lexus one. The wideband shows rich at idle (650 rpm), and sometimes blanks out with hyphens. She runs perfect anything above idle though, with no hesitation, and is an absolute joy to drive. Last week I finally found some more complete info on setting up my AEM truboost controller, and with that I dialed in a 9 psi setting. ( I have been running with it off until now since the hg change). Without surprise, I want to up the boost. Some of you know my supra has some stuff done it, but IC is all stock, as well as turbo and ecu. Here is what I had in mind on doing, and hoping to achieve 15-17 psi, not sure what hp that will put me at though. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Spearco IC w/ piping and T-clamps
Walbro 255
Aeromotive FPR
HKS bov kit
HKS Fcon w/ fcd
Turbo- thinking a T04z, or 57 trim upgraded CT

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
if your thinkin of the T04Z check out Aarons kit on driftmotion.com i have it and it looks great.

But also lookin at your sig, your gonna need a piggy back system. Like SAFC or Neo or maft pro.

other then that i hope it all goes well!

ps is your new HG a metal one???

Also 15psi is relative to the turbo. 15 pis on say a stock CT26 is not the same as 15 psi on a T04Z 67mm or larger turbo. plus newer better turbos are more efficient too so that all changes it too.

but other then that, happy deciding!

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
yea the hks fcon is going to be the piggy back, I chose it because it is plug n play, and has interchangeable chips tuned to what mods you have on the car. No the hg is not a metal one, at the time I didnt have the money to get the re-surfacing done. On a good note, I had a certified ASE mechanic friend helping with the hg, and he said block and head surfaces looked perfect after we cleaned them up and had a good look.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
MKIIISupraGuy;1661458 said:
yea the hks fcon is going to be the piggy back, I chose it because it is plug n play, and has interchangeable chips tuned to what mods you have on the car. No the hg is not a metal one, at the time I didnt have the money to get the re-surfacing done. On a good note, I had a certified ASE mechanic friend helping with the hg, and he said block and head surfaces looked perfect after we cleaned them up and had a good look.

I hope it holds....

You're riding a fine line upgrading a turbo w/o MHG and ARP's.

IMO you're better off spending the money on a MHG than a turbo...

Mr. 7M-GTE

Oct 19, 2010
Houston, TX
+1 for MHG/ARP's...they will save you a whole lot of grief and money in the long run. I can personally vouch for the DM 57 Trim CT though, it's a great turbo for the money.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
well either way, i dont think id run the 67mm TO4Z that Aaron has for sale lol but im sure the 57 T4 turbo would work great! or just an upgraded ct26. thats your call on price ect

But yea i wouldnt go much above 12psi on a CT26 57 trim on a stock HG.

You wanna play wit da big turbos..you'll defiantly HAVE to get a MHG

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Yea I'm thinking of going MHG, because I know once the turbo is on, and I get used to the boost level right above where fuel-cut used to be, Im gonna want to up it. I been looking at the HKS mhg 1.2mm. I think thats the right one.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
MKIIISupraGuy;1663372 said:
Yea I'm thinking of going MHG, because I know once the turbo is on, and I get used to the boost level right above where fuel-cut used to be, Im gonna want to up it. I been looking at the HKS mhg 1.2mm. I think thats the right one.

I'm going to go out on a limb on this one but...

You should choose the MHG thickness based on the amount you'll be shaving off when the head is resurfaced. You take the total gap and add the mhg thickness to be no greater than/less than a certain amount. Those figures you'll have to look up in the TSRM.

I remember going through this when I did my MHG. I ended up getting a 2mm HKS stopper. Goodluck.