This is why you don't drift in tunnels...SAD TIMES

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Well long story short last weekend was shitty, wasn't planning on drifting into the tunnel it just kinda happened when I shifted from 4th-3rd and my ACT6 puck said Yack to my stock wheels I just put back on(saved the 18s) instant SIDEWAYZ at 60mph, well I made it around the sharp right hand corner entering the tunnel heading south on 99 coming into Seattle. Drifted left,right, then back to left almost pulled it out when the driver side front hit the curb which popped me up to the wall and bounced me back to hit my dr. rear rim and to the final resting place. I broke front dr. tie rod, bent lower a-arm, rear hub, fenders,bumpers,intercooler,oil,etc.. and all my pride. My 2" c/f HOOD MADE IT WITH MINOR damage...yeah baby, crashed friday and bought new '88'5spd turbo targa on monday. Perfect donor car with JDM motor,greddy turbo timer,custom 3 1/2" exhaust. So to all you who like to drift watch those tunnels they collect a lot of oil.(Later talked to a friend who patrols(KingCountySheriff) that area and he says there are crashes all the time in that same area because oil collects there. I also never took out car in shitty weather but a old friend came to visit. So if you ever get that gut feeling you should drive one of your other cars DO IT. I wont bore you anymore but here are some pics of my old and new. Does anyone know if kakimoto is a good exhaust system???

Attachments

• DSCN1795.JPG
    DSCN1795.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN1787.JPG
    DSCN1787.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN1799.JPG
    DSCN1799.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN1808.JPG
    DSCN1808.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1803.JPG
    DSCN1803.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 187

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
How are our frames to thid type of damage?? I haven't torn too far down yet still a little shocked and sad. Most the hit was from the front dr. side bumper, it pushed the very front end over. I noticed a small wrinkle when you look straight down where the stock intake sits??? Is she saveable??? Is it ok to cut the whole front end off and weld/bracket a new front clip??? Thanks T

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
The fenders make it look realy bad most the offset is in the very front. The motor is still sitting straight and the suspension towers seam to look level?? I'm a wrench turner not a body man though. The radiator is exact same distance away from both sides but is shifted over perfectly to the pass. side about and inch.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
SidewayzSupra said:
Well long story short last weekend was shitty, wasn't planning on drifting into the tunnel it just kinda happened when I shifted from 4th-3rd and my ACT6 puck said Yack to my stock wheels I just put back on(saved the 18s) instant SIDEWAYZ at 60mph, well I made it around the sharp right hand corner entering the tunnel heading south on 99 coming into Seattle. Drifted left,right, then back to left almost pulled it out when the driver side front hit the curb which popped me up to the wall and bounced me back to hit my dr. rear rim and to the final resting place. I broke front dr. tie rod, bent lower a-arm, rear hub, fenders,bumpers,intercooler,oil,etc.. and all my pride. My 2" c/f HOOD MADE IT WITH MINOR damage...yeah baby, crashed friday and bought new '88'5spd turbo targa on monday. Perfect donor car with JDM motor,greddy turbo timer,custom 3 1/2" exhaust. So to all you who like to drift watch those tunnels they collect a lot of oil.(Later talked to a friend who patrols(KingCountySheriff) that area and he says there are crashes all the time in that same area because oil collects there. I also never took out car in shitty weather but a old friend came to visit. So if you ever get that gut feeling you should drive one of your other cars DO IT. I wont bore you anymore but here are some pics of my old and new. Does anyone know if kakimoto is a good exhaust system???
Also added a couple before the injury, minus a couple mods

Attachments

• DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0744.JPG
    DSCN0744.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 117

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Thanks it was a fun ride for my buddy and I. Wish I could of got it on video, shit we made it half way through the tunnel. NO other cars involved. Shit I even got pulled over for going SIDEWAYZ a couple hours earlier on purpose(got off,too much stuff to deal with he said), this was total freak accident though. I also blame all the damn rain we've been having.

Last edited:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
heh and i thought i was in a habit of getting sideways. sad for your supra though. i hope it can be repaired easily cause some people are doubting... im just say optimistic :D

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
dang total luck...

reminds me of last week... i was taking a friend home and we where entering a tunnel at the 205/ 84 split to go to gresham and it was a lil wet.. travel around 60 or so i stuck her in third and side stepped the clutch as we entered. no one behind us and had about 6 car lenghts bewtween us and the car in front. maybe more.
broke em lose but only slide a few feet 10-20... but the old celica just doesn't have it to slide the entire way.. but what was funny is.. i let me buddy know if i would have screwed up how it would have ended.. and from the sounds of it i would have been right lol

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
Is it just me or has the number of crashed Supras really peaked lately? As for welding on a new front end, I dunno. I had that done once on a '91 camaro and that car ate a ridiculous amount of front tires, but your mileage may vary.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The shift to the side is called sway, and from what I've seen in your photos, some time on a frame rack with a good tech will solve the problems fine.

It will cost you between 250 and 500.00 to just have the frame work done however. (Setup and measure, then figure 3 hours of frame time, and most shops in the Seattle area are going to be 50ish on the labor rate for this IIRC.) So, 5 hours at 50.00....

As long as the frame rails did not tear, the car should be fine stucture wise when it's done. Any torn or stressed spot welds need to be repaired. Don't forget to have them corrosion protect the inside of the rails if they weld on them, or your car will rust out from the inside out.

As I'm sure you know, the problem is, the total cost of fixing the car exceeds the cost of just buying another one with no, or minimal body damage.

How do you like your Tein coilovers? I'm thinking of going with the Flex and EDFC myself.