This is what happens...

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
When you think you can get away with brittle parts instead of replacing them. From what I can tell it looks like when i put my accordian hose on in the dark last time I must have broke a good chunk of the hose off and clamped it inside there....

I didnt notice the car acting any different as far as spool or pull. Although, I really havent driven the car because I'm dealing with a temp issue. Just happend to do an oil change and noticed it. This obviously means the turbo is out of balance now. So what would you do?

1.) Leave it alone and see how long the turbo lasts.
2.) Carefully try and bend the fins back.
3.) See if Albert can put a new compressor wheel in it for me

acc hose.jpg bent fins.jpg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
7M4EVR;1985978 said:
When you think you can get away with brittle parts instead of replacing them. From what I can tell it looks like when i put my accordian hose on in the dark last time I must have broke a good chunk of the hose off and clamped it inside there....

I didnt notice the car acting any different as far as spool or pull. Although, I really havent driven the car because I'm dealing with a temp issue. Just happend to do an oil change and noticed it. This obviously means the turbo is out of balance now. So what would you do?

1.) Leave it alone and see how long the turbo lasts.
2.) Carefully try and bend the fins back.
3.) See if Albert can put a new compressor wheel in it for me

View attachment 71448 View attachment 71449

Um, I'd go with 3. You can't bend those fins back, they'll snap. If you try 1, you could ruin the chra.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Very odd that only some of the leading edges are damaged...

I would go with option 3...

Option 1) Wont last long with that amount of imbalance and leaving it alone risks damaging the turbo beyond repair thus requiring a replacement.
Option 2) I dont think you could without disassembly and at that point you might as well replace it. Also you risk breaking them off, might be worth a shot though...since if you break a blade you just replace it, and if you cant bend them back you just replace it...
Option 3) Lowest risk option IMO

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Definitely Option 3. With the RPM's that thing turns at you'll end up trashing the whole rotating assembly if you don't replace that wheel and have the whole assembly professionally balanced.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
DeMoN2318;1985985 said:
Very odd that only some of the leading edges are damaged...
I kinda thought that too but cant think of any possible explaination of how the fins got bent other than pieces of the accordian hose. There are zero markings on the housing so ive been lucky so far. Ughhh just another thing to add to the list lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
When that goes, there's a very good chance it'll take more than just the turbo with it. Remember that it's on the intake side of things... so anything that breaks off is going to be pounded through the turbo, intercooler, throttle plate, intake valves, everything in the unlucky cylinders, exhaust valves, then back through the turbo exhaust side, any cats you have, and the muffler. I've seen this destroy the whole engine.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Option 3 all the way. Why would you even consider the other two? Definitely as Grim said, it can take out more then just the turbo. You might want to get a camera scope, at the very least, and put it in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and see what kind of damage is in there. Plus, clean out the rest of the ducting before you fire the motor again and make sure there are no particles still making their way to the cylinders.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Hmmm good points. I would think I should be more worried about the intake valves. I couldnt really see how the bits of plastic could do much damage to cylinders. If any of it made its way to the cylinders it would just be sitting there on the top of the piston getting burned up wouldnt it? I mean at least I hope my rings are giving a tight enough seal that the pieces couldnt get through or scuff up the bores much.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It's not the plastic pieces that you need to worry about so much, it's bits of the turbo compressor blades going through the system at high velocity. Doesn't look like anything has come off the compressor ... yet. Run it unbalanced like that though, and it won't be long.

Those plastic bits would burn away damn near instantly.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I was doing some reading on the bent fin issue last night and im actually concerned now that maybe really high EGT caused a few of these fins to melt. I know its pretty good chances that acc hose was a culprit too, but after really thinking about it where the pieces are broken off of it are up past the clamp and over top that compressor inlet by a couple inches. And a good portion of that missing chunk was missing from the PO. And looking at the way those fins are bent they are almost curled up like heat might cause. Another thing is after my rebuild I know I am running very rich with my set up and have not gotten it tuned yet. After about 2 minutes of letting my car idle if i spit on my turbo hot side, or downpipe it sizzles. Does that sound normal? Maybe Im paranoid or over thinking it..

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
7M4EVR;1986162 said:
I was doing some reading on the bent fin issue last night and im actually concerned now that maybe really high EGT caused a few of these fins to melt. I know its pretty good chances that acc hose was a culprit too, but after really thinking about it where the pieces are broken off of it are up past the clamp and over top that compressor inlet by a couple inches. And a good portion of that missing chunk was missing from the PO. And looking at the way those fins are bent they are almost curled up like heat might cause. Another thing is after my rebuild I know I am running very rich with my set up and have not gotten it tuned yet. After about 2 minutes of letting my car idle if i spit on my turbo hot side, or downpipe it sizzles. Does that sound normal? Maybe Im paranoid or over thinking it..

It would have to get CRAZY hot to have enough heat transfer to the compressor blades to get them hot enough to soften and start to bend...also i should be uniform heating so all of the blades would experience the same heat effects thus all of them should have bent...not just a few.

It looks like you definitely injected something.

The sizzling turbo housing...makes sense...water (spit) boils at 212F...turbine housing is definitely hotter than 212F at idle

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
This all makes me realize that there could be a readon to get intercooler piping off of the turbo outlet that can flow the needed amount but has screens or filters in it that could stop fin particles from an exploding turbo from entering the intercooler/motor.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Definitely could be a market for that, except it would require some pretty large IC piping to maintain the same flow...especially since you would want a relatively fine screen to catch the FOD,

I think as long as the IC inlet (from turbo) is low, and the IC exit is high (to engine) then it would be pretty hard to get much FOD to enter the engine.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
What happens when the wheel takes enough hits

8eo8.jpg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
jdmfreak;1986255 said:
Wouldn't the intercooler act like a screen to catch most stuff like that anyway? ( Exept for small flakes of course )

Think of the destructive force that something has because it was spinning at 130,000 RPM's before it let go.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The turbo was definately a victim of F.O.D.
The damage is to great to blend the tips, thats what we do on F404's but that is only to file minor chips. If a blade is curled that bad the engine has to be borescoped to check the other stages for damage.
You should pull it and check the hotside also for damage and let Albert repair it, he is the man!