Thinking of a big project

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I have been researching for days now. I want to take on this big project but afraid my lack of skills will get in the way. I want to remove my non working a/c and put in something that would be more useful on the crankshaft! 7MGZTE.... I am still thinking if I should go through with this or not, feel free to flame.

My thoughts:

I want to have a supercharger take the place of my a/c, I really wanted an sc14 1ggze supercharger but it looks way to big to fit so probably an eaton m90 from a thunderbird sc or something small and equivalent

I would also want the supercharger manually driven so I can shut it off when its not necessary to run it.

Although its not completely the same, I have been studying the vw tsi setup and the 4age-z setup to get a picture of how a twincharger setup would look like and for more info on supercharging.

Please give me your input. Also any helpful links/info will help.

Again, I am only considering this as a project, im still not serious about it

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
There was a twin charged setup, i do remember seeing pictures of it but i have NO CLUE whos it was. Someone will probably pitch in with a link or something. Check youtube, i think i saw a video of it on there. Try twin charged 7m or twin charged supra.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I saw the twincharged supra on here, I browsed the whole thread, it didnt have too much info. Except for dowards post about how to calculate manifold pressure when under turbo boost and blower boost.

I have a few diagrams from a vw tsi and a 4agze-t on how to use the supercharger to feed the turbo.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Tubbie was the one who started the twincharge thread...one of his relitives has/had a fully functional twin setup!

Having a supercharger that is manually operated is a bad idea as how would you tune it??!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
gaboonviper85;1448796 said:
Tubbie was the one who started the twincharge thread...one of his relitives has/had a fully functional twin setup!

Having a supercharger that is manually operated is a bad idea as how would you tune it??!

True, I just didnt want to beat on my engine all day long with a supercharger AND under turbo boost all the time

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Forced induction is forced induction. Doesn't matter what way you get it there (Via Supercharger, Procharger, or Turbo)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
sparkplug619;1448874 said:
True, I just didnt want to beat on my engine all day long with a supercharger AND under turbo boost all the time

You won't be beating on the engine...with a proper tune

it all depends on the tune and your right foot...

I hope you go standalone as twincharging will require extensive tuning!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
gaboonviper85;1449048 said:
You won't be beating on the engine...with a proper tune

it all depends on the tune and your right foot...

I hope you go standalone as twincharging will require extensive tuning!

Definately.... I am going to take on this project.... its going to be a super long term project, Im going to be caught in the middle of college, work, supra, and nagging girlfriend. Also, funding this project will be hard... but I think im going to give it a shot... thanks everyone

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Here is how Toyota does it on their 1GGZE.....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

That is a SC14 supercharger on a 2 liter inline-6.
The '14' in the model number refers to the displacement, 1400cc/rev.
In contrast, an Eaton M90 is 1500cc/rev.
It would work on a 3-liter by overdriving it by 50% or so.
And it has an electric clutch on it.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I was studying this, I wanted the sc14 because the type of supercharger it is.. the eaton m90, from what ive heard, gains power per rev, so 2000 rpm= 2 pounds 3000= 3pounds etc... but the sc14 puts out the power by how heavy your foot is.

Ive also read somewhere that the eaton m90 has a horrible efficiency rating when overdriven and gets really hot, making it only good for a 15 second drag race. I may be wrong, this is just what ive read

I am going to try to find an sc14 and see how it would fit

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
It really depends on the type of supercharger. Roots, twin screw, sliding vane... These are positive displacement superchargers that take a specific volume of air and condense it. So they will always generate the same pressure at the same rpm. So at 2000 rpm, you'll have a certain psi, regardless of how you got to that rpm.

Centrifugal superchargers work (and look) more like turbos. So you will get slightly different performance based on acceleration. So if you gently cruise up to 4000 rpm you'll be making slightly less pressure than if you floor it from 1500 up to 4000. However, because they're still belt driven by the crankshaft, the difference is relatively small, but it is there.

Twin charging requires a positive displacement supercharger to be affective. Centrifugal superchargers will only be able to generate a certain amount of pressure, where as positive displacement supercharges create a ratio of intake pressure to output pressure, regardless of what the intake pressure is.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Neodeuccio;1449212 said:
It really depends on the type of supercharger. Roots, twin screw, sliding vane... These are positive displacement superchargers that take a specific volume of air and condense it. So they will always generate the same pressure at the same rpm. So at 2000 rpm, you'll have a certain psi, regardless of how you got to that rpm.

Centrifugal superchargers work (and look) more like turbos. So you will get slightly different performance based on acceleration. So if you gently cruise up to 4000 rpm you'll be making slightly less pressure than if you floor it from 1500 up to 4000. However, because they're still belt driven by the crankshaft, the difference is relatively small, but it is there.

Twin charging requires a positive displacement supercharger to be affective. Centrifugal superchargers will only be able to generate a certain amount of pressure, where as positive displacement supercharges create a ratio of intake pressure to output pressure, regardless of what the intake pressure is.

Thanks man, ill keep this in mind.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
carter;1449362 said:
This would be tits and ass if everything worked out pretty good. Hope things work out pretty good for you, but deff post info as you go.

haha, I cant get started till next month cuz im in the middle of a move.. but Im going to try to source a thunderbird sc at the junkyard to pull the supercharger from some time this month. Ill also look for places to fit it on my 7M....

I also completely forgot, the ffim I have coming in the mail drops the alternator down to the a/c so I dont know how much clearance I will have on that side.