Thinking about selling the supe.. any tips?

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
The time has finally come.. I am thinking about selling my baby. I am closing on my first house in March and am getting married in October. I am going to be very broke for the first year or so that I am in the house. The fact that the thought has even crossed my mind reassures me that I probably should sell her. The Supra has been my first and only car, I have had this one in particular since I was 18 ('99). In order for me to go through with it, I need to get top dollar for it, so I figured I would see if anyone has any tips/advice.

Here is the breakdown:

-1991 white pakage turbo/targa w/burgandy cloth interior
-188,000 miles
-I did a 5-speed swap last year and the tranny had 50,000 miles on it.
-My mods are all listed in my sig.
-The exterior needs paint.. primarilly the bumpers and targa, which I will most likely do before I sell.
-The interior is in great condition, she has been a garage queen for most of her life.
-The turbo was rebuilt and upgraded about 70,000 miles ago by Charlie at Majestic Turbo in Tampa (a lot of people know Charlie.. he is awesome)
-The headgasket was replaced at about 110,000 with a new toyota gasket and ARB bolts torqued to 82ft-lbs.
-She goes through maybe 1/2 a quart of oil between changes and has done so since I bought the car and switched to Mobile1 15w-50 synthetic at 50,000miles.

I think that is about it.. one specific question that I have is: Should I buy a stock exhaust and throw it on before I sell it? The only reason I ask is because technically it is illegal.

Any advice? Thanks!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
$pecialk91Turbo said:
Here is the breakdown:

-1991 white pakage turbo/targa w/burgandy cloth interior
-188,000 miles
-I did a 5-speed swap last year and the tranny had 50,000 miles on it.
-My mods are all listed in my sig.
-The exterior needs paint.. primarilly the bumpers and targa, which I will most likely do before I sell.

-She goes through maybe 1/2 a quart of oil between changes and has done so since I bought the car and switched to Mobile1 15w-50 synthetic at 50,000miles.
Should I buy a stock exhaust and throw it on before I sell it? The only reason I ask is because technically it is illegal.

Any advice? Thanks!

everyone needs to move on to other stages in life at some point.

the miles are gonna hurt you and so is this need for paint that you mentioned.

post a pic so we can get a look at it. the motor might be well taken care of but it sounds like its a tired old car and i would not pay more than $4k for it if it was in awsome shape.

if you do choose to go w/ a stock exhaust im upgrading soon and i can send you a completely stock turbo back exhaust (only part non stock is secondary cat is cleaned out but it still has the initial cat on it) just pay the shipping and i'll send it out. its off of a 74k mile car so its not rusted at all just a bit dirty.

is your ddp a recirculating model or open dump?? perhaps a trade?

srry to hear your leavin.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
americanjebus said:
is your ddp a recirculating model or open dump?? perhaps a trade?

srry to hear your leavin.

LOL, I started think about swapping parts with him too.:biglaugh:

Let's see, the DDP, driveshaft....

But seriously Kevin, I wouldn't worry about the exhaust. If you do sell it as is, you're more than likely sell it to someone that wouldn't want a cat anyway.

Let me know if you want to swap some part & get a little cash. I live in Plant City....

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Honestly, I'd say keep it.

You can't get top dollar for these cars - or at least it's rather unlikely. The amount of money you can get for her isn't going to make a dent either way in your mortgage, houses are a completely different order of magnitude.

And I can guarantee that if you sell her, you'll kick yourself for years, possibly the rest of your life.

Good luck on whatever path you choose.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'd keep it too. you'll probably get an extra $4k, TOPS. that's not alot of money...

-shaeff

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ what he said... I'd check to make sure that you're gonna NEED the money before you sell it. I've never had a problem selling any, and both were priced on the high side, for the most part.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Dont do it man!!! I parted with my first one in 97. It killed me when I saw it drive away. I sold my first one because my wife, then girlfriend thought I needed a newer car. I think I even kind of hated her for it up until 2 years ago when I found Da Soup. Because we are not rich I had to buy a project. It was a wrecked, hail damaged non running targa and I slowly turned it into what I have now. Grim is right is the $3000 worth it. Their is a time when we all need to grow up and make adult decisions but selling a Supra should never be the solution. My wife knows even if we were so poor we had to eat ramon noodles selling Da Soup is not an option. I think you put this post up so we would talk you out of selling it. So dont sell it.
Good Luck
Da Soup

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
Wow.. I really apreciate all the feedback.. one thing I would definitely miss is the supra community.

americanjebus: I might just take you up on that offer.. I've been looking for a stock exhaust for a while now.. since I got my 5th ticket for the aftermarket exhaust. my DDP is an open dump and I freakin love it.

rakkasan: I'll also keep you in mind when I decide what I'm gonna do.

I'll post some pics of of her tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong everyone.. I LOVE my supra. Couple things weighing down my decision to sell:
- With all the traffic and cops and what not, its hard to drive her like she's meant to be driven around here anymore.
- I have a company vehicle from work.. I pay no gas and no insurance except for the supe.. a couple hundred extra bucks goes a long way when you can barely cover the mortgage.
- I never got her where I wanted her to be. I really won't be able to do anything to her once I'm moved out of the parents house... if she breaks.. she will just sit in the garage.. probably for a long time.. then more things will start to go bad.
- I could really use 3 or 4 G's for things like.. a chair (so i can sit in my new house).. a refrigerator (so I dont have to eat cans of tuna and dry cereal everyday).. you know.. stuff

I have to give mad props to my fiance though.. she is mad at me for even thinking about selling it, which is cool. She actually offered to sell her '94 camry with 50,000 miles on it and drive the supra (with 188,000 miles) untill we can get her another car.. lol... not a good idea.

On the bright side.. in a couple years I want to sell her camry and get a new Lexus IS350 (go drive one if you havent yet). And then maybe a 'nother supe later on down the road.

Thanks for the help guys!