The tool thread

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
All my tools are Husky, the polished top of the line ones. My air tools are Husky as well. I have broken any of em yet but I've broken many of the cheap tools you get at the crappy auto parts stores. Home Depot is right down the street so its ez to get what I need, although there in store selection has dwindled...

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i dunno, tools just seems like one of those things that you have to spend money on. i've heard so many stories about people breaking the crappy auto parts store tools that it just seems silly to buy them. maybe i'll change my mind now that i'm a broke college student.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
americanjebus said:
heh my highest was 90ftlbs on a dsm.

wtf needed 500?, and how did ya do that? 15 foot handle?

fire trucks lugs nuts are 450 ft pouds....... ask me how i know. also ask about the 4 foot torque wernch i used,

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm all craftsman. all my box wrenches, both my torque wrenches (1/2" and 3/8"), all sockets and ratchets, crescent wrenches, etc... all craftsman. :) screwdrivers too.

-shaeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ckanderson said:
fire trucks lugs nuts are 450 ft pouds....... ask me how i know. also ask about the 4 foot torque wernch i used,

Ok, how do you know and what about that 4 foot torque wrench? :D

Snap-on has taken damn good care of me. Their tools have gone to hell and back with me. The cost can kill you but I've gotten pretty good deals on most of my tools. My ratcheting wrench set (a must for us supra owners) is Cornwell and those have stood up to an unreal amount of abuse. So, no complaint's with those. And then I keep one of those Checker/Altrade 116pc specials in the supra at all times. I bought it so I would have an extra set of tools in the car for away from home emergencies. I went this way because of how small a container they fit all that shit into, so it doesn’t take up much space in the supra. Plus I couldn't afford to have two sets of Snap-on tools. Those tools have done ok but I wouldn't trust them for more than simple roadside repair work.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Ckanderson said:

Can you imagine the torque required for bolting a 105mm howitzer cannon to an AC-130H Gunship? I believe the weapons troops have 200-1200ft-lb range torque wrenches, and a 6 foot breaker bar. Absolutely amazing.

L

lanky189

Brewster said:
i really thought this thread was going to be about a different kind of tool.

and i'm guessing you GREATLY dissapointed at the lack of pictures of the "tool" you were after.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
Most of my tools are craftsman because they come with a warranty, have decent construction and are cheap. My only complaint with craftsman is how thick they make their sockets so I bought a few snap on sockets for tighter work. All my air tools are cheapie no names from harbor and freight. They're not great but I've only had to replace 1 of them over the last 5 years (a $30 3/8" ratchet).

Anyone have favorite tools? The ones you typically reach for at the start of most jobs? I do, a stainless steel bowl with a giant magnet attached to the bottom and a 10mm ratchet wrench.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
All my tools are craftsman, even my shop lamps, tool boxs, mechanics gloves, etc. I just get all craftsman for the warr. and there are sears everywhere incase I ever have to replace a tool.

Jon

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
500 ft./lbs. was required on a driveshaft flange on a CH-53D-the helicopter I work on. (pictured below)

These planes were ours at the time of the picture. There is a 90% (or so) chance that I was flying on one of them in the picture.

040717-N-6932B-203.jpg