the t3d's FIRST "Performance before Appearance" BUILD THREAD!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
UPDATE 4/12/13!!!! As of now the supra is down for the count. I knew this day would come. I didn't machine the timing over with it bolted to the block for the metal headgasket. I had it later machined to get it close, but as we know now close isn't good enough! Everything else is working flawlessly minus the gasket pissing out coolant so she's gotta come apart again. It sucks for right now but when it's all done I know this time I won't have to worry about it. I will also doing some little upgrades as well while the motor is out. I'm actually pretty excited. REBUILD 2.0 COMING SOON! VERY SOON!

well i'll start off with saying this is my first Supra and i fell in love with this car even before i bought it. my name is Ted and i'm 19. i've never done a motor swap before or rebuilt a motor myself, so with the guidance of my teacher, my own knowledge, some friends, and SM, we'll see how this turns out!

i bought this 1987 Toyota Supra off of IdealSupra (jayson). it started out with the white package, automatic, NA, and 8 different shades of white. haha.

i got rid of that slipping, POS automatic tranny and swapped the r154 tranny in. that was the best thing i did to this far...so far.

i wanted to stick with the 7MGTE. i had the money easy for the 1J swap, but i love the 7M and wanted to see the potential it has. i ordered a JDM motor from Tigerjapanese.com for $1170 shipped because i wanted to start with a decent motor. we took it apart and it turned out to be in pretty good shape. i was able to keep the standard bore for the cylinders, so i was happy.

my goal is for around 400rwhp. i've spent near 8 grand in parts(including the motor). i bought alot of good parts. i didn't want to half-ass ANYTHING, so i went big...well, for me atleast. so, we'll see how it goes!

here's my list of parts i can think of off the top of my head...

LPPRO intercooler piping kit
Lexus AFM
Walbro 255
RC 550s
Apexi Power intake filter
Full Cooleeze exhaust system( Downpipe-back)
SAFC 2
JT61GT Bolt on turbo
Probe Forged Pistons
Eagle Rods w/ARP bolts
ARP headstuds
ARP mainstuds
Fidanza lightened flywheel
Greddy timing belt
Spearco Rep. intercooler from DM.com
Eibach lowering springs
Kyb struts
Suspension Techniques sway bar kit
Russell SS brake lines
Greddy RS BOV
HKS manual boost controller
Apexi Turbo timer
AEM UEGO wideband kit
Aero. FPR kit
87-88 Turbo Manual ECU/harness
clear timing cover
Fully balanced rotating assembly
ACT six puck clutch kit
DM's SS clutch line
New oil/water pump
HKS 1.2 MHG
LSD
NGK spark plug wires
87-88 Clear turns
r154 rebuild kit
alittle head work
New rims and tires
ALOT of spray paint
alittle powder coating action
and all NEW gaskets and hoses

i think that's most of it...idk

i've taken ALOT of pictures so far of my progress and there will be PLENTY more to follow. Feel free to comment...i'm a picture whore :biglaugh:

the only problem is...i'm doing this at school. i go to PTEC. it's a tech school and i have a cool ass teacher who is letting me do all this and helping me out. my deadline is supposed to be Feb. 14th, but i seriously doubt that's gonna happen. :nono: i atleast want the longblock together and bolted in. i get about maybe 2 and half hours a day to work on it, no weekends. so it kinda sucks. WISH ME LUCK! oh and you'll see the color scheme i'm goin with in the pics :icon_bigg

ENJOY!

-t3d

****UPDATE 1/27/11****

To anyone that cares...
there has been a lot financial and emotional ups and downs since I've been away from here. And it has been a while. I miss you guys. I've learned so much from so many people on here. SM is amazing.
Anyways, my baby is still alive and running...quite well actually. I do have some issues to take care of very soon though. I'm sitting at 377rwhp with my blown JT61GT. I fucked it up by beating the shit out of it and not realizing I had some bad vacuum leaks. Once the turbo is rebuilt, I should be looking around my 450rwhp goal. I've done a lot since I have updated last. The car still looks like shit but other than the turbo and some minor oil leaks, the car runs great and I still love it to death. I have made a list things that need to be done and would like to have done hopefully somewhat soon...I'll share the list with you guys..

supra to-do list:

-full syn. LOF
-front strut mounts
-poly. bushing set (front/rear)
-rebuild turbo
-get street and dyno tuned
-replace spark plugs
-replace both rear wheel bearings
-find coolant leak
-replace cd player
-switch to 2 alpine 12's or one 12 R
-have hatch wood re-done and upholstered
-fill in hatch spoiler holes
-replace front upper control arms
-spray off the undercarriage
-remove tail light bulb from cluster
-clean, vacuum, and detail interior
-wash car
-replace tranny mount
-install rear subframe poly bushings
-one piece driveshaft from DM.com
-get some good front wheel spacers/studs
-install 255/45 or 50ZR17's on the front
-have all 4 tires the same brand
-replace windshield and windshield mouldings
-a/c compressor and drier/charge
-replace all bad trim pieces
-replace gas tank lid
-fix power antenna(make cool)
-find modern wiper arms
-replace driver side window switch
-reinstall interior panels and parts
-replace dash and carpet
-get HID's w/ Hella E-code housings
-get heat working
-fix all leaks
-install nice interior speakers
-replace driver's door handle
-re-seal tail lights
-replace upper timing cover
-smoke tail lights
-have new red/blue LEDs installed in a/c unit
-have brighter/whiter dome lights
-replace door weatherstripping
-replace/re-color door panels
-get rims powder coated
-align body panels
-prep body work for paint
-GET PAINTED!

this is my car audio list I made as well...

supra audio to-do list:

(1)JVC KW-XR810 cd player(CSN.com) $191.90
(2) Alpine Type S 12" subs(ebay.com) $161.90
(2) 6.5" Front door speaker pods(SM.com) $90.00
(2) ALPINE SPR-17S CAR 6.5" speakers(ebay.com)
$139.90
(2) 10 SqFt FatMat Mega Mat sound deadener(ebay.com)
$99.98

Get estimate to get the hatch wood redone and upholstered.

Get estimate on enclosure for 2 12"s

I'm currently not working right now, but hopefully that will change soon. And as soon as my taxes are filed and back to me, I'll be tearing into that supra and getting some shit done. TURBO FIRST. I know having a bad turbo isn't the best, but I don't boost on it very much, if at all, to try and avoid as much as possible. I don't even REMEMBER what it feels like to go WOT in my baby. It's heartbreaking! I promise to keep you guys more updated on this than I have been. Once again thanks for all the kind words and help I've gotten over the years I've been on here!

-t3d

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sounds like you're off to a good start, well except for the not posting any pictures thing, but we'll see them later.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
p904160_1.jpg

p904160_2.jpg

MY SUPRA HAT :biglaugh:

p904160_3.jpg

My baby...all stock and all WHITE!

p904160_4.jpg

p904160_5.jpg

my JDM motor =0)

let me upload the rest of my pics to my photobucket, and then they will posted for show and tell :icon_bigg

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
yea i was really impressed with the condition of the motor. i was even MORE surprised on how it got here in 2 DAYS after i ordered it from Canada!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
CryoSlash;904188 said:
Your car looks good. I do not understand why this is Performance before appearance. Thread Failure at Critical Level!

lol i wish i could get it to look that good again. it's pretty bad now. but TRUST ME, i have some nice plans for the body. she's gonna be gorgeous when it's all said and done :evil2:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
hmmm I think it was only 3 shades of white ;)

Besides you should have seen that car BEFORE I got my hands on it. Believe me I brought it back from the dead.

Glad to see you working on it so much. Keep up the good work AND POST SOME GOD DAMN PICTURES! :D

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
p904298_1.jpg

that's her in the shop. =0(

p904298_2.jpg

got that old crappy NA motor out! haha will be for sale sooooon!

p904298_3.jpg

actually what we did was dropped the whole front suspension and took out the engine and tranny that way. it was quite easy actually

p904298_4.jpg

just an angle shot to show my rims off alittle bit :icon_bigg

p904298_5.jpg

found some nasty rust in the battery area. BOOOOOOOO!!!

p904298_6.jpg

alittle bit of sanding and wire brushing... and there's still rust, but it's SMOOTH!

p904298_7.jpg

i got some "rust preventing" paint, and sprayed it all over it. as you can see, i missed a couple spots haha

p904298_8.jpg

i taped up the important stuff and pressure washed the hell out of it and did some rubberized undercoat black paint in the engine bay. i'm doing a glossy black engine bay so everything stands out alittle more. oh and it will :naughty:

p904298_9.jpg

tore down the JDM motor and am left with this...a bare block!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
p904320_1.jpg

the bottom half. this is of course after i brake cleaned and parts washed this thing to hell.

p904320_2.jpg

here are the OLD pistons and rods happy to get replaced
(are also going to be for sale :sarcasm:)

p904320_3.jpg

heres the CT26 that came with her. alittle shaft play side to side. could use a rebuild. that's going with the rods and pistons for sale. ELBOW TOO!

p904320_4.jpg

side pic

p904320_5.jpg

she's getting replaced with this :love: JT61GT!

p904320_6.jpg

had to take more than one pic of her =0)