The Small Questions Thread

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Just wanted to update you guys I finally got my power steering high pressure hose replaced with a steel braided line. You guys are the best I love you all.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
Looking to make an 02 extension harness for an early 7M round 3 pin connector, anyone know where I can get both the female and male connector ends?

300K91T

May 28, 2013
IL
drogon;2056612 said:
Anyone know where to find new a/c condenser for our cars?

if you can not find a stock unit, may have to go universal. Cold Hose seems to have a decent selection of universal PF condensers, although no experience with them.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Couldn't find this in the TSRM
So the ECU sometimes signals the VSV2 (vacuum switching valve) to cut engine vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. I just don't know when or why it does this?

I'm thinking
- At wot (wide open throttle) to increase fuel pressure to max
- When engine is cold to richen the mixture

Seems like they designed this thing backwards.. The more vacuum the FPR receives, the more it lowers psi, right?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Toyota designed it to maintain consistent absolute pressure. The injectors are in the manifold so as vacuum increases the conditions on the lowpressure side of of the injectors is effectively decreased. This would increase absolute pressure without adjustment.

Also when under high load contitions, ie boost fuel pressure increases at a 1:1 rate with the atmospheric contitions in the manifold. Remember pressure is the resistance to flow, not a static number.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Hmm, so the turbo ECU probably regulates the VSV differently, since absolute pressure becomes positive under boost?

-edit- Oh yeah, no vacuum in the manifold, no vacuum at the VSV lol duh.

I'm trying to test for voltage at the VSV after repairing a broken connector, and am not getting anything when the car is cold. Should the ECU be cutting vac at that time to raise pressure for warm up? Maybe there's a fault in the wiring somewhere else.. Old ass harness... Not sure when to test for voltage there.

-edit-

Found this, says the VSV only cuts vacuum during hot starts to improve starting and idle.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=45

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That is correct. The fuel-pressure up VSV is only used for a few seconds during a hot start to raise fuel pressure and help prevent vaporization of the gas in the fuel rail from heat soak. It is not used at any other time.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Doing some work on my car and a bolt seized/snapped on the factory O2 bung location, stainless Ebay 3" downpipe (was lazy and foolishly used bolts instead of studs). Took it to a local machine shop and guy was not wanting to work on it, saying stainless is a PITA (first he thought it was chrome, dumbass..). Got it home and stuck a magnet on it out of curiosity, and the bung was magnetic, so were the flanges at the ends of the downpipe.

Is that normal for the flanges and bungs to be regular steel? Or maybe them being welded on makes them magnetic? I might try to drill/tap it myself if it's regular steel (won't be going back to that shop lol).

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Yeah, the Chinese created this recycled stainless that is magnetic...

So it may be stainless and magnetic

But the actual pipe itself is not magnetic?
If so, nice mix/match of materials.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Yeah the pipe itself isn't magnetic. Though it might be common practice to use regular steel on the bungs since it's easier for them to drill/tap.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
So I'm going NA-t finally pulled the old NA block went to put my engine mounts on the new block still an Na but the turbo manifold support bracket seems to be in the way. Is there a diff between turbo and non turbo mounts?! Everywhere I read says no just the years(square or round). Or maybe I place the bracket incorrectly?
3edec2a48d852f24c0e51a7e86ac2a3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Well removed bracket and put mount on but still doesn't seem to line up. Is this bracket really necessary? Maybe I'm using the wrong year support bracket?
e10b20bc04268561fad195cb63c71c38.jpg
576569674059a3b3c80f2bbf40c23e52.jpg

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
hvyman;2058561 said:
are your mounts on the correct sides

I do believe they are, I just swamped them over from the old block made sure to keep em on the right side. This is under the intake
600730d7769e51e71d277e1a976c5634.jpg
here's the exhaust side
a902e2bd1c5bba37199d3e05054afa6c.jpg

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Is the R154 trans made from aluminum or steel/iron? Want to make sure I get the right type of washer with the replacement drain plug.