The Small Questions Thread

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know if you have to drop the tank completely, but you do have to drop it. (Going by memory)
It's not really difficult on our cars really. I think it took me an hour using lots of penetrating fluid on the pins with 2x4's and a jack to drop it slowly. I replaced the full pipe gasket at the same time and undercoated the tank.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doat;2026642 said:
well I don't want more than 400hp from the 7M I just want to run the S366 at low boost until I do the 2jz swap and use it on there. Thanks for reminding me about the wastegate. I've always read for my goals SAFC is good for that a standalone would be kind of a waste of money for stuff like this really.

I would recommend you don't do this at all really. It's more work than it's worth. You will have to modify a bit to fit the turbo on and without proper fuel control (no idea how safe the SAFC is) your risking the engine. You have to have oil lines made, clock the turbo correctly, protect anything the turbo gets close to (heat) and do a proper intake pipe. Your downpipe will probably sit different between your intended swap and the 7m and you will have to mod the intake piping.
Remember... 400 Rwhp is pretty well double the power output for the car and the AFM/stock ECU aren't really setup for that.

These are my thoughts, but I can't back it up with real world experience simply because I went standalone... But it was really expensive to do (more than the engine cost me) because I did none of the work myself.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I was thinking more about it and seems like it won't go to plan, which it never does lol but at the same time it doesn't seem that difficult I mean I already have most of the stuff I need but like you said there will be some modifications needed I probably have to cut off the 90 degree end of the turbo housing but I know some shops that can do that for me. I see lots of MK3s with 350-400hp without issues and usually they have the stock CT26 57trim or a Holset turbo or something like that and it's been done many times and people don't seem to have major issues or blowing motors especially with SAFC. I can't count how many MK3s are on this board alone with SAFC hooked up lol. Also like I said I don't want to go crazy with the hp I'd be happy with 350 and just keep it safe I don't want to push my 7M too much.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ct26 upgrades are more typically 300-350 although some claim 400. However, the ct26/550 injector/lexus AFM are matched to properly "confuse" the ECU which is why it works so well. They still have issues with running overly rich and the ct26 housing being too small for the upper 350-400 RWHP range.
If you could transfer all the mods from a 7m to a 2jz, then it wouldn't be too bad... It's just a lot of work for a short term project.

I got some 7m parts that I got powder coated satin black. I was just wondering how much I can get for them. I got a bare upper intake mainold, both valve covers, the turbo heat sheild, 2 exhaust manifold heat sheild, and power steering reservoir.
a7239bf8eaef678d5db662b24882e665.jpg

tysen

Jan 20, 2012
muskoka
My dash and exterior lights flash randomly. The drivers lock is not working properly either. So I think it's the security system? Any helpfull ideas how to disconnect the theft system? Car is jza70.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
My car idles at 750 to 800 rpm when my timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC, my questions is why does it not misfire and stumble like so many other 7ms?

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
atmperformance;2027038 said:
My car idles at 750 to 800 rpm when my timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC, my questions is why does it not misfire and stumble like so many other 7ms?

Lol it probably seems like there are a lot of them because people with good running cars don't post about it.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I have regrets about cutting out the core support (radiator support) when I did my swap. Didn't have a load leveler and the engine was half in the car before I realized my mistake, and had to cut it to get the engine in. Does anyone know if it's an important structural component to the car? Or can I just leave it out?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Your fluids should be changed, and I usually squeeze a but of oil into each spark plug hole and let it sit for a while to penetrate a bit. Not too much just enough to cover the Pistons and touch the cylinder wall. Moisture can get in there and create a rust film.

Check the hoses and belts to make sure they aren't brittle and fire it up. Watch for leaks as seals may have dried and/or shrunk.

Crossing your fingers won't help but it won't hurt either.

... If you can get a priest, minister of witch doctor... They can stand by with chants and prayers...

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
how do I turn either a hazard or fog light switch into an accessory on/off switch? I'm just confused because there are more than 2 wires in the back :/

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Ok do I need to sing "Ten Hail Mary", Throw salt to the four winds, and decorate it with Feng Shui? B.T.W. What kind of incense do I need? Good thing my neighbor is Pastor. Thanks, I get the people and appropriate thing I need,...NOW!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
yhatzee89;2027334 said:
how do I turn either a hazard or fog light switch into an accessory on/off switch? :/

Neither of those switches are great candidates. The defrost has a built in timer so it is completely useless. The hazard is a very complicated switch, but it could be used. You can use pins 6 and 7 or 2 and 5 for example.

Any tip on removing a crank pulley bolt off my 1j? The engine is on the stand. I tried an electric impact that doesn't work. I put a bolt into the flywheel bolt hole. Used a 2x4 to lodge it in between the engine stand arms and try loosing the bolt but the wood just keeps breaking.